Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D and the British National Health Service (NHS) page 2

M!chael is offline Member
    Thanks for the replies guys, good videos,

I have been routinely taking my supplements on an empty stomach, so will change that right away.

Neeleh, I did ask my GP for the test and the link to high blood pressure he said something like "I hadn't heard of that, we only do that for people with bone problems" In a 10 min slot I diddn't have the time or inclination to take the matter further.

If you haven't already I suggest the 3 videos of this thread are a good starting point for further research.

If you want a test done these people will do you one for 25 Clinical Biochemistry, City Hospital, Birmingham
    They will give you an answer in nmol/L, you need to divide by 2.5 to get ng/ml.

As far as taking a low dose for caution, the video above mentions a study giving subjects 40,000 units a day, their levels were in the 200s ng/ml range for 5 months and NONE of them had ANY problems!

Where in the UK are you? Heart problems are far worse in Scotland than in Southern England, another clue that is the way forward :-)

Michael
    Last edited by M!chael; 05-09-2014 at 04:30 AM.

Neeleh is offline Senior Member
    Hi Michael

Thanks for the link to the labs, just visited the site. Would love to get a load of tests done and pore endlessly over the results - I'm pretty new to blood tests 'n all that: 'til last year my GP was a homepath and I got diagnosed via his beautiful mind, but I'm embracing testing now. I'd also like mineral testing via hair or live blood or however they do that.

I will indeed watch those posted vids and see if I can wedge my recalcitrant mind a little further open. I started supplementation after a dream, I saw the words 'Vit D3'. Also magnesium; a bottle rolled towards me in a dream. Inner shaman, gotta love that. But testing too.

I also in England
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Journal: Vibrant Life

Sensis is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    On the Joe Rogan Experience podcast recently Dr. Rhonda Patrick's general starting point was 1000iu per lb of bodyweight, but highly recommended getting tested so you know how much you need to supplement.

As well as the more body fat you have the more vit d3 you need to take as your fat absorbs and holds onto it.

Jumpt to 20 mins for the vit d talk
    Thanks for that, will check it out. Although I dunno how on earth I'm supposed to get in 150000ius of vitamin D??

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

150,000!!

No. Where did you get that number from? Dr. Rhonda Patrick takes 4,000, Mark Sisson takes 4,000.

The "Rule of thumb" is 20 units per pound for an average fair skinned american.

Michael
    Last edited by M!chael; 05-09-2014 at 03:21 PM.

betsybee is offline Junior Member
    The video is very interesting. Does anyone know what product he was talking about when he mentioned rubbing magnesium into the skin?

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensis View Post
    Thanks for that, will check it out. Although I dunno how on earth I'm supposed to get in 150000ius of vitamin D??

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Oops, my mistake. I managed to delete the "25" from "1000iu per 25 lbs of bodyweight" general starting point recommendation! Please do not take 150,000iu of vit d3
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by betsybee View Post
    The video is very interesting. Does anyone know what product he was talking about when he mentioned rubbing magnesium into the skin?
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

OMG Magnesium, I hadn't thought of that! There is Sooo much to worry about.

Just had a search through Mark's articles and spinach is a good source, I eat loads so should be ok, Phew

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M!chael View Post
    OMG Magnesium, I hadn't thought of that! There is Sooo much to worry about.

Just had a search through Mark's articles and spinach is a good source, I eat loads so should be ok, Phew
    Wrong!

Most modern soil is magnesium depleted. You'll be lucky to get to 300 mgs from food, the RDA in America is 400 mgs, and that's probably too low anyway. *sigh*

I actually think magnesium deficiency is a bigger deal than vitamin D. But that's just me. Do whatever you want.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks

Further investigation needed, have you any good links to information on Magnesium?

We are going a bit off topic here, maybe we should start a new thread.

Michael

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast