Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you're going to cheat..... page

JasonBanz is offline Member

If you're going to cheat.....

Primal Fuel
    I've started to plan out my weekend since I planned a "cheat" weekend. A few things came into my mind. Don't plan on an entire carb binge. Though most of the carbs are unneccessary, cut out the most unneccessary ones. For example:

My wife and I planned a dinner trip to Olive Garden tomorrow evening. When they ask for your drink order, get water. If soda is a must for your dinner(like it was growing up) go for the diet instead. That would cut out atleast 80g of carbs right there. And that's without a refill. Another big one, I'm not eating the breadsticks and sticking to strictly the salad as an appetizer. That would save atleast another 40g if you can stick with just 2. Those 2 choices alone could save you 120g or more.

Just something that came in my head. Thought I would share.
    Insert whitty diet remark here!

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    Good ideas. It also depends on your personal issues and past experience. Some people handle a carb spike fine, some don't. Some can have gut or joint pain for days after a tiny serve of grain while others won't even notice.

For me - avoiding wheat as much as possible, but if there's a really good dessert on offer I might go for that. I'll have a nice beefy main course (New York Cut steak or something), red wine. No softdrinks (sodas), no beer and no salad - those are guaranteed to make me feel like crap the next day.

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    I know it's a cheat, but there are still some things I wouldn't touch - aspartame for one. I opt for unsweetened ice tea or water. A perrier with lemon is kinda snazzy and I get that for special occasions.
    Their dressing is pretty carby and sodium-filled - but they offer vinegar & olive oil. Last time I went they were nice enough to bring a dressing/crouton-less bowl just for me to pick from.
    I go out to eat and I still want a massive steak and salad, lol. Thankfully by the time I inhale that, I've no room for a sugar-filled dessert.
    It is good that you are looking for ways to mitigate the damage from a cheat, though. Have fun!
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    The Olive Garden I go to they have allowed me to sub mixed vegetables in place of pasta. For example, italian sausage with meat sauce over mixed veggies, or chicken alfredo over veggies. It's good, or the herb grilled salmon is really good and only 5 carbs. For me, I can't cheat with pasta at a restaurant...it's got to be something better than that. I think about what it costs for them to give me that big bowl of starchy pasta (like 5 cents?) and what I pay for it, and I somehow feel less cheated getting veggies. What I do cheat with when I go there are the italian margaritas, now those are worth it! Whatever you get enjoy it, and you're right...don't go overboard. Cheating isn't an all or nothing thing.

JasonBanz is offline Member
    Thanks for all your input. All very good ideas also. I rarely go to Olive Garden now so I think I'm going to get my favorite. Its a deep fried lasagna, but hey its one meal
    Insert whitty diet remark here!

pk79 is offline Member
    if im going to have a soda, i'm going for the real thing. preferences to the ones made with real sugar, but the aspartame stuff i'm not going to touch. i'd rather down the corn syrup than go for that. plus, it just tastes terrible.
    boom.

LittleNappingLion is offline Senior Member
    how can you tell if you feel weird from the sugar spike or the wheat?
    ie I right now cant get my brain off cinnamon rolls...one of my most beloved things in the world...every year on my birthday I have the best quality one i can find (not the tube kind)...It has now been about 9 months that I've been primal & I really want a cinnamon roll but i'm also scared of the sugar WHAMMY it'll deal me.
    So how can I tell which thing affects me more? insulin spike/wheat? Maybe knowing which makes me feel icky will keep me from wanting it so much!

hw1178 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleNappingLion View Post
    how can you tell if you feel weird from the sugar spike or the wheat?
    ie I right now cant get my brain off cinnamon rolls...one of my most beloved things in the world...every year on my birthday I have the best quality one i can find (not the tube kind)...It has now been about 9 months that I've been primal & I really want a cinnamon roll but i'm also scared of the sugar WHAMMY it'll deal me.
    So how can I tell which thing affects me more? insulin spike/wheat? Maybe knowing which makes me feel icky will keep me from wanting it so much!
    You could make a gluten-free version and that would eliminate the wheat factor.

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    Hosting my Sister and Family for a Birthday Cookout this evening. She shares a B-Day with Hubby. Let's just say that the entire menu is Conventional, but I am planning to IF tomorrow and Kick ass in the gym and then it's back on track......

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleNappingLion View Post
    yep, experiment. Have a low-carb day then eat something sugary with no wheat. Another day, having been very stricts about avoiding any wheat, have some bread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast