Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Human meat anyone? page 4

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    I don't understand why it's so "gross." It's just meat... and from a human or a cow.
    Because I am civilized, cannabilism is not. I have domesticated animals raised for the sole purpose of being eaten, I do not need to eat part of my wife/child.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

wugang is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    Because I am civilized, cannabilism is not. I have domesticated animals raised for the sole purpose of being eaten, I do not need to eat part of my wife/child.
    Therefore you are saying I am not civilized along with maybe a fifth to a sixth of the worlds population who thinks this is completely normal and acceptable?

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    Such an American... Am I right? Value and perhaps moral judgements based on your narrow range of experiences.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    That's not weird IMO. Then again I am Chinese. XD
    Such an American... Am I right? Value and perhaps moral judgements based on your narrow range of experiences.
    That would be human society as a whole, really.

M.

TQP
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    That would be human society as a whole, really.

M.
    Yes of course. notice how I qualified my initial answer with my lens of perspective and my context.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    The first time I had sushi it was at a Korean market where the owner always gave my husband and me special attention because we were good patrons. Anyway, he gave me a briefing on nori and how they feed seaweed to whales after they give birth because it's so restorative. So... placenta sushi ftw?
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wugang View Post
    Therefore you are saying I am not civilized along with maybe a fifth to a sixth of the worlds population who thinks this is completely normal and acceptable?
    Yes, yes I am. You are, for all intensive purposes, eating bodily waste. If you have a tonsillectomy do you eat the tissue? Do you eat your scabs? Do you clip your nails and then eat them? Do you take your hair home from the salon and eat it? Do you consume stillborns (I mean, 'it's a wonderful source of collagen, screw gelatin!!!' see, it's a disgusting and perverse practice)?

Please, give me an excuse as to why you don't and then try and say 'oh but it's different with placenta' because it's not. It comes from backwards practices that were spiritual in nature, unless you feat on placentas daily the nutritional benefit is suspect at best.

Placentophagy is a barbaric custom, especially for males. In nature placentophagy can benefit the mother that just expelled it if eaten just after birth... it provides nutrition to recover from labor so the mother can begin feeding the offspring. In civilization it serves no purpose, especially when not immediately consumed. Eating it weeks or months or even years (as I've heard some do in the U.K.) is barbaric and disgusting and serves no puprose, especially in a world where food is easily found and a mother doesn't need the calories and cooking it will destroy any potential benefit, Professor Mark Kristal of the State University of New York at Buffalo, wrote his doctoral dissertation in 1971 on why animals eat their placentas. He stated, “People can believe what they want, but there’s no research to substantiate claims of human benefit. The cooking process will destroy all the protein and hormones. Drying it out or freezing it would destroy other things.” a b Freiss, Steve (19 July 2007). "Ingesting the Placenta: Is It Healthy for New Moms?". USA Today. Retrieved 5 December 2011. http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...ngestion_N.htm

If being civilized makes me narrow-minded, so be it. I'd rather be narrow-minded than disgusting and arguably mentally-ill.
    Last edited by ryanmercer; 05-08-2014 at 02:41 PM.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Kazmo is offline Member
    Ryan, well God knows who partakes of this weird practice in the UK. I've lived there 37yrs and that's the 1st I've heard! Which TV prog you been watching? LOL I had to laugh out loud at your post though, funny as feck

I cannot even stand the stringy bits you get in eggs, which are nigh - on impossible to fish out, or those browny - coloured floaters, which I do fish out! So it's safe to say that me and the OP are at extreme opposite ends of the Grossness Spectrum!

But what a way to start a highly - entertaining thread, keep up the comedy posts people! BTW, Swiss people have just gone down in my opinion. It's not all chocolate and cuckoo clocks then. I consider myself enlightened to the dark side of Switzerland.

TQP
    What the hell is civilized to you? What the western customs are?

OP said it's not for nutrition but for tradition. Maybe it's not nutritious... Who cares?

I am always shocked at people who think their definition of culture is the only one that matters.

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You are, for all intensive purposes, eating bodily waste
    Do you eat eggs?

If you have a tonsillectomy do you eat the tissue? Do you eat your scabs? Do you clip your nails and then eat them? Do you take your hair home from the salon and eat it? Do you consume stillborns (I mean, 'it's a wonderful source of collagen, screw gelatin!!!' see, it's a disgusting and perverse practice)?
    How are these questions relevant?

It comes from backwards practices
    Arbitrary label. What determines which practices are backwards and which are forwards?

Placentophagy is a barbaric custom, especially for males.
    Another arbitrary label.

In nature placentophagy can benefit the mother that just expelled it if eaten just after birth... it provides nutrition to recover from labor so the mother can begin feeding the offspring. In civilization it serves no purpose
    What about the purpose you just described in the previous sentence?

Eating it weeks or months or even years (as I've heard some do in the U.K.) is barbaric and disgusting and serves no puprose,
    You use the word "barbaric" again. What is your definition of this word and why is it bad to be "barbaric" under your definition?

Professor Mark Kristal of the State University of New York at Buffalo, wrote his doctoral dissertation in 1971 on why animals eat their placentas. He stated, “People can believe what they want, but there’s no research to substantiate claims of human benefit.
    Appeal to authority

The cooking process will destroy all the protein
    What happens to the destroyed protein? Does it just vanish from existence? Why would cooking placenta be any different from cooking meat?

If being civilized makes me narrow-minded, so be it. I'd rather be narrow-minded than disgusting and arguably mentally-ill.
    You're throwing around arbitrary labels. What's disgusting is subjective. Does eating placenta cause any measurably bad effects or is it just associated with the negative labels you've assigned it? If I don't think eating placenta is disgusting, barbaric, or mentally ill, how would I suffer from eating it?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast