Thread: Ideas - What to Eat While Sick on 21 Day Challenge page

primalheather is offline Junior Member

Ideas - What to Eat While Sick on 21 Day Challenge

Primal Fuel
    I'm about 10 days or so into my primal challenge, and have some sort of stomach virus. I've barely been able to eat anything for 3 days now. The only thing that sounded palatable is bread, so I baked some paleo bread using almond flour, flax meal, eggs, grassfed butter, etc. I believe it's compliant. It's been keeping me alive. I usually love sweet potatoes but they don't appeal right now. Meat is out. Any ideas? thank you!

Oh, and I did a whole30 twice and got sick both times with a stomach bug. I'm starting to wonder if it's a coincidence or not. This time the dietary change wasn't as drastic as I was about 80% primal before this challenge. The main thing I cut out was sugar (via maple syrup and honey only) and occasional potatoes. Hmmm.

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    Stop challenge. Get better. Go from there. Also, why are you doing this? You were 80% primal and cut out maple syrup and honey? They're both primal.

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Chicken soup maybe?

primalheather is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the advice. I am not up for making bone broth but poss veg soup. Doing it to support friend who is doing it for the first time, to get my kids on board and to clean up my own eating a bit. My understanding was that all sugar was out during the challenge. In any case, it's out for me because I was leaning on it too heavily in the afternoons, too many paleo treats and my energy was hills and valleys. Now just valleys, haha.

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Take your cravings and think of why.

Bread: carby (quick energy, low digestive efforts), soft (low fiber, hey also good for digestion), and a vehicle for other foods (assuming you aren't eating it straight up).

Take this and apply it to wholesome, healthy, nutritious foods: potatoes (all kinds), (rice) noodles, or rice.

For the no meat/protein, it will probably be good for your body, just in a more tame, easily digestible form. Chicken soup is the traditional medicine for good reason! Just put the whole bird in a pot and fill with water, a little salt, and some herbs or aromatic veg. And it works well with any of the above: noodles, cubed potatoes, or with rice, or the broth can go into a thin soup or used to cook rice. That way you get the nutrients in the form of a liquid, easily digestible broth as well.

And make sure you get plenty of sleep!

The MDA drunk: drunk posting warning. I feel like I should add a caveat; this is my Saturday afternoon!

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    scrambled eggs.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Nourished is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure if fruit juice is part of your challenge but you could make jello with gelatin and fruit juice. That's easy on the stomach, has some protein and vitamins.
    My food philosophy is whole foods, simply and traditionally prepared. Food should honor your taste, health, and the environment.

Mamame is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nourished View Post
    I'm not sure if fruit juice is part of your challenge but you could make jello with gelatin and fruit juice. That's easy on the stomach, has some protein and vitamins.
    Or make it with pureed fruit.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Forget the challenge and get well. Bone broth, smoothies, homemade jello with gelatin and fruit, orange juice and other juices, white rice or rice noodles, boiled potatoes-- anything that you can keep down! Forget food rules. You don't need the extra stress right now, or ever IMO.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams