Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: what is the least offensive fast food chain ice cream? page 4

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Here is what is in Rita's frozen vanilla custard:

Vanilla Custard: Milk, Cream, Liquid Sucrose, Corn Syrup, Condensed Skim, Whey
    Powder, Liquid Egg Yolks, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Mono and Diglycerides,
    Cellulose Gum, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Guar Gum, Polysorbate 60, Polysorbate 65,
    Carrageenan, Salt.

Less bad.

M.

TQP
    TQP is offline Senior Member
    I wish these people would use gelatin instead of the gums. So annoying... Then again the vegetarians surviving on pasta and ice cream would complain.
    JOURNAL.
    Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Paleo Pizza Crust!)
    Professional Style Website. (Latest features: How to Remix a Pant Suit; Courtney, Fashion Editor)

Quote Originally Posted by Reventon View Post
    Swear like sailor, motorboat sexy foods. Solution to all of life's problems
    Especially hunger.
    ...not so much for Tourette's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emtropy View Post
    Talking about sexy people is always relevant

Hermyone is online now Senior Member
    Don't forget about french fries... got a vegan at work with fibromyalgia at 22 that considers herself a french fry connoisseur...

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    If you're going to eat ice cream anyway (as a treat, so presumably not a huge amount at least for weekly calories) does it really matter?
    Yeah, this. I don't have DQ often but... yeah. I like their new commercials because it IS fan food. XD

TQP
    TQP is offline Senior Member

what is the least offensive fast food chain ice cream?

I don't get the urge to eat fast food anymore... Although in-n-out's protein-style (bunless) burgers are now a favorite (ie I get it at most 2-3x in a year...no in-n-out in NYC). 5x5 (5 beef pattiesx5 cheese) ftw. New awesome meaning for 5x5...

Other than that...no fast food for moi.

I am picky with my food...if it doesn't taste amazing why would I pay more (than making it at home) for it? I can't afford it both calorically or monetarily.
    Last edited by TQP; 05-08-2014 at 12:26 PM.
    JOURNAL.
    Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Paleo Pizza Crust!)
    Professional Style Website. (Latest features: How to Remix a Pant Suit; Courtney, Fashion Editor)

Quote Originally Posted by Reventon View Post
    Swear like sailor, motorboat sexy foods. Solution to all of life's problems
    Especially hunger.
    ...not so much for Tourette's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emtropy View Post
    Talking about sexy people is always relevant

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    If it comes out of a nozzle it's not really ice cream. You're better off going somewhere that scoops it out of a big container. Coldstone ice cream is pretty good.
    Absolutely not. Real frozen custard is much more "real food" than ice cream. All you need to be ice cream is a 10% butterfat content and 100% or less overrun. Most store-bought ice cream is at the minimum 10% butterfat levels (skim milk is often the first ingredient), multiple gums are used to compensate and overrun approaches 100%, meaning air is 50% of the volume inside the container.

Custards tend to contain much more butterfat, in the 18-20% range, contain egg yolks in significant quantity and have much less air and is thicker. Real soft-serve custard contains much more cream and eggs. It is held at a lower temperature: in the ~32 degree range instead of flash-frozen and kept well-below freezing like ice cream, so that's why it's "soft" instead of hard.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Costco has thier own kirkland brand ice-cream that is pretty good. First ingredient is cream and they use vanilla extract. High fat content and very tasty.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 05-08-2014 at 01:49 PM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Absolutely not. Real frozen custard is much more "real food" than ice cream. All you need to be ice cream is a 10% butterfat content and 100% or less overrun. Most store-bought ice cream is at the minimum 10% butterfat levels (skim milk is often the first ingredient), multiple gums are used to compensate and overrun approaches 100%, meaning air is 50% of the volume inside the container.

Custards tend to contain much more butterfat, in the 18-20% range, contain egg yolks in significant quantity and have much less air and is thicker. Real soft-serve custard contains much more cream and eggs. It is held at a lower temperature: in the ~32 degree range instead of flash-frozen and kept well-below freezing like ice cream, so that's why it's "soft" instead of hard.
    This guy is spot on.

M.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I love NorCal. There are really high end ice cream shops around that use local Straus Milk. They cost an arm and a leg, but taste so delicious...Bi Rite!

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    As I said I live in a small town and if im out with my niece and she wants a quick ice cream and im near any standard fast food place and I want to partake in some scream too which would be the best.

I guess I'd go with DQ or Culvers.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast