Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh Egg Fiends--assistance page

bev.q is offline Junior Member

Fresh Egg Fiends--assistance

Primal Fuel
    I recently started getting fresh eggs from a guy at work and something is very wrong with some of the eggs.

These eggs pass the fresh test of laying on their side in water, they do not smell or look funny otherwise, but once cooked, they taste like what I can only best describe as "vulture's morning breath". It is a foul, saturated taste. They fill your mouth with a cloud of disgustingness that you can't rid of until you rinse with listerine.

If you accidentally take a bite of these eggs, you will be scared to eat eggs again for weeks.

My previous egg guy occasionally had one of these eggs--I would find maybe 1 for every 3 or 4 dozen. I just assumed they were bad as I don't generally "fresh test" the eggs--I only started doing that when I consistently got the bad ones with this new guy--it's usually 2 or 3 bad eggs per dozen and always the large ones.

1. What is wrong with these eggs? I extensively googled and only found one person with the same problem--unresolved.

2. How do I gracefully tell my coworker that I don't want his eggs anymore?

wugang is offline Member
    Sounds nasty

Do you know if they are all from one and the same hen?

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Could be something in their food supply. You might want to ask what they're fed.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

wugang is offline Member
    You could say something that "normal" people can relate to, that you currently have too high cholesterol levels and shouldn't be eating eggs at the moment.

I have a few laying hens, there are only a couple reasons for what you describe. 1. If they are free ranging, then they ate something weird. Even garlic and onions can come though and affect the egg taste. If the hen ate a rotten animal (yes, they eat meat, too), it could effect the egg. 2. There could be a micro crack in the egg. Too small for you to see, but enough for bacteria to enter. A good excuse could be just as simple as "you're cutting back" or....you could say you have another source (wife's friend, girlfriend) and thank him for his previous generosity with a small gift card

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Eggs also produce naturally hydrogen sulfide, which is where the "rotten egg" smell comes from. Also, egg shells are pourous, and they absorb malodours odors from other things is the fridge...

Maybe you should discuss your malodorous eggs with the seller. If he cares the least little bit about his business, he will value your comments. If he gets all huffy, you don't want to business with him anyway....

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I've eaten a few hundred dozen farm-fresh, local eggs over the past couple years and never once had an egg like you describe.
    The Champagne of Beards

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I've eaten a few hundred dozen farm-fresh, local eggs over the past couple years and never once had an egg like you describe.
    me either. I've seen some bloody ones, a bunch of double yolkers and some where the whites are really cloudy and strange looking. but nothing at all like you're describing.

time to find a new egg guy

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    never had this experience and have eaten a billionty fresh eggs.

if you're friendly with this person, i'd sure mention it, but if it's more just a work relationship, i'd just say i gave up eating eggs, tyvm.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

ekba09 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yea - never had that problem with farm, fresh, or backyard eggs. I get more blood spots in brown eggs, so I prefer white or blue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast