Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast food: Is there ANY actual evidence/science that it's unhealthy ?? page

OnlyBodyWeight is offline Senior Member

Fast food: Is there ANY actual evidence/science that it's unhealthy ??

Shop Now
    I'm just wondering just how poisonous fast food truly is. What are the facts?
    Not the emotional reactions that "It's bad!! Are you serious?"
    Not circular reasoning like "Fast food is unhealthy b/c it's bad for you!"
    Not subjective opinion like "It tastes like crap! I get hives!"
    (Maybe you've convinced yourself you LOVE the taste of dry broccoli, but fast food is scientifically proven to be tasty: Fat, salt, sugar)
    The above is not logic, science, and reasoning. I want facts only.

People immediately knee-jerk and say how horrible and dangerous fast food is.
    They even equate it to poison. Yet, if it were poison, wouldn't the FDA ban it?
    Clearly, millions of people eat fast food, and don't drop dead on the spot.
    It is literally not poison. Fact.

Fast food has high sodium. Is there evidence salt will kill you? The blood pressure link was debunked years ago.
    Fast food has fat. Is there evidence fat will kill you?
    Fast food has GMO. Is there evidence GMO will kill you?

Then people cite calories and portion control as a negative of fast food. But this is different than unhealthy poison food. But, overeating is not the fault of fast food and doesn't make fast food inherently poisonous. You can also overeat at Whole Foods and get 5 lbs of hot buffet bar. So, let's avoid red herrings like "Well, the 64 oz super duper soda and 1000 calories quadruple stacker burger is bad for you" That's obvious. But, if you control for portion size, just how poisonous is fast food? ie: What if a person just eats a side salad and a small 250 calorie burger? Is he eating poison that is rotting out his insides?

Also, people immediately cite "deep fried" as why fast food is horrible. But, the majority of fast food is not fried. So, this is also weak logic. Is non-fried fast food poison that will rot out your insides?

I want facts only. Specific additives that are proven to be carcinogenic.
    Last edited by OnlyBodyWeight; 05-07-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Primal Husker is offline Member
    It depends on what you order. I'm guessing a lot of fast food is processed.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    I don't trust the FDA with a stick to know what to ban and what not to ban. Case in point: Statins.

Also, the FDA wouldn't have the ability to ban fast food. They don't set dietary guidelines in the U.S., the USDA does. Besides, they never would, even with irrefutable evidence it's bad for us. U.S. Food interests and agribusiness lobbies would see to it that it never happened.

So the fact that it's not banned is not proof it's NOT bad for us.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, every time I eat it I feel like shit.

endless is offline Senior Member
    It's standardized, highly processed, CAFO, lots of additives....
    There are things you can buy in the grocery store that are equally poor quality though, so for people who eat those things it's probably comparable.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Who cares if it's actually "poisonous" it tastes like crap! If you need science to convince you that it's not okay to eat fast food, be my guest, have my share! I'd rather fast than eat flavors manufactured in a lab and made by machines. I don't only eat for my health, I eat for flavor. Nor do I need the FDA to tell me what's good to eat.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    This is a little bit like asking "Why is arsenic bad for you? I see how people used to drink it for medicine, but they didn't die immediately."

-- Simply put, it is unbelievably highly processed with caloric bombs that would be impossible without industrial food technologies. By this I mean that one can eat a standard meal, and within it there will be fat/carbs/sugar/fat that as no match in actual human food....and to add to it, it is all nearly devoid of fiber. This means that it is digested extremely quickly, with hormonal responses exaggerated to match it. Natural food is NEVER capable of those kind of macros without fiber.
    -- The additives to it have never been tested long-term in humans. I am talking about putting the stuff that yoga mats are made of into meat to make it more "spongy", or any of the thousand of other additives like it.
    -- No one with functioning brain cells is calling it "poison", in the same sense that cyanide is poison....it is called industrial food. This makes it, almost by definition, not "human food".

I would write more, but it feels unnecessary. It is not exactly controversial to say that if I can eat a quarter pounder and fries at McDonalds, taking in about 3500 cal without any fiber in it hardly at all, that this is probably not good for you. Add that it is bathed in additives, highly inflammatory oils, on and on. I mean really? This is an actual question?
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    These days, the seed oils are the obvious downside.

M.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    The veg. oils and grains are the main problems I have with fast food from a health perspective. I'd eat the meat (like the un-bunned burgers, not the "chicken" nuggets) and the veg without a worry. Not every day though, because it's just junky quality stuff. If you think it's good for you, go eat a diet comprised of lots of it and report back to us.
    The Champagne of Beards

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    is there any evidence that it's NOT unhealthy?

checkmate.
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast