Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast food: Is there ANY actual evidence/science that it's unhealthy ?? page 5

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I work in a public health lab and nobody here touches nutrition with a pole because it's unanimously agreed that it's the most impossible topic to study. OP may be asking for a level of proof not feasible for the field.

So we have to settle for educated guesses from a blend of macro- and micro-observations. If I met an adult individual satisfied with how they look and feel on a diet of oils, syrups, and powders I would have no argument with them.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

accidentalpancake is offline Senior Member
    Once someone can point me to the super-healthy, fit, long-living population that subsists primarily on fast food, I'll consider it something other than sub-optimal. Until that day, I'll continue paying attention to lifestyle and food choices that do have legions of followers fitting that profile...

As Laz pointed out, if you want to pull out your college formal logic textbook, there's no point in discussing this further. You may, however, want to apply the concepts to your own stance.
    I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
    SW (Feb 2012): 278
    SBF: 26% (Scale)
    CW (May 2014): 198
    CBF: 14.5% (Scale)
    GW: ~190-205
    GBF: ~12%

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyBodyWeight View Post
    Ok, here is a FACT! Trans fats. It seems the verdict is still out.
    However, if one wanted to avoid this downside, you would just avoid fried fast foods with trans fats.
    But, not all fast food is friend. But, an important point, perhaps.
    That was my point. Avoid fast-food with trans fats.

There may be other things the FDA is working to ban that fast-food restaurants use. I'm not really interested in googling this for you.

The thing is, just because food is cooked quickly doesn't mean it's unhealthy. Just because it comes from a fast-food restaurant doesn't necessarily mean it's unhealthy. However, unhealthy foods ARE available at fast-food restaurants and they appear to frequently be favorites for people who probably don't have any business eating such food.

So enjoy your big mac or whatever your favorite happens to be. I happen to think the main menu items at most fast-food places probably aren't horrible choices. I once lost a lot of weight eating at Taco Bell or Carl's Jr. every single day. I either had the 7-layer burrito, which was one of their more fat and calorie dense items (and protein-poor) or I had the famous star with cheese and fries or the all-you-can eat salad bar with tons of that red jello with the whipped cream stuff and about 3 trips with my plate piled so high I'd spill it walking back to my table. So good luck to you. I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    The OP clearly doesn't have a very discerning palette if he thinks manufactured flavors taste good. So I say go for it shovell it down your gullet! Bon appetite!

Meanwhile I've got a slow roasting grass fed sirloin tip roast, smothered in herbs from my garden cooking. I will deglaze the pan with homemade beef broth and red wine and when we eat our dinner my family will savour every bite and give thanks that we don't have to eat factory made food products prepared by soulless machines. Is it our meal proven to be healthier? I have no idea but I do know that eating food that is lovingly grown and prepared nourishes the spirit.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    ... I've got a slow roasting grass fed sirloin tip roast, smothered in herbs from my garden cooking. I will deglaze the pan with homemade beef broth and red wine and when we eat our dinner my family will savour every bite and give thanks that we don't have to eat factory made food products prepared by soulless machines. Is it our meal proven to be healthier? I have no idea but I do know that eating food that is lovingly grown and prepared nourishes the spirit.
    You fool, you don't know what you are missing. You could have driven to a drive-through kiosk and bought a bumper family size box of reconstituted nuggets deep fried in rancid partially hydrogenated soy oil, and serve it to your family with a giant plastic bottle of synthetically coloured fizzy aspartame & HFCS. Don't you realise how much nicer it would taste, how much time it would save, and it may well be healthier too according to what I have read on here. Nourishing the spirit is for weirdos.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fifer View Post
    You fool, you don't know what you are missing. You could have driven to a drive-through kiosk and bought a bumper family size box of reconstituted nuggets deep fried in rancid partially hydrogenated soy oil, and serve it to your family with a giant plastic bottle of synthetically coloured fizzy aspartame & HFCS. Don't you realise how much nicer it would taste, how much time it would save, and it may well be healthier too according to what I have read on here. Nourishing the spirit is for weirdos.
    ........ and you could buy triple the amount and leave the left overs in your cupboard for 10 years. It would still look and taste the same in 2024 !!!!!!! Oh Urban, you are SO missing out !!!!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Timthetaco Guest
    Meanwhile I've got a slow roasting grass fed sirloin tip roast, smothered in herbs from my garden cooking. I will deglaze the pan with homemade beef broth and red wine and when we eat our dinner my family will savour every bite and give thanks that we don't have to eat factory made food products prepared by soulless machines. Is it our meal proven to be healthier? I have no idea but I do know that eating food that is lovingly grown and prepared nourishes the spirit.
    It certainly sounds wealthie--er, healthier. Er, monocle. Not snobby.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    It certainly sounds wealthie--er, healthier. Er, monocle. Not snobby.
    I'm not so sure that our food costs more when we buy half a cow at a time, grow a lot of our veggies and buy our wine from the Grocery Outlet. I'm kind of surprised that people can afford to eat fast foods daily, it adds up.

But it's true I'm a total food snob. I won't just ingest any old crap. I'd rather eat quality than quantity. Food matters a lot to me, we drive old cars, buy most of our clothes at thrift shops, don't shop for entertainment, raise a lot of our food so we can afford to eat well even though we have very little money.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I'm kind of surprised that people can afford to eat fast foods daily, it adds up.
    Ya, if nutrition = calories and salt then chain food is economical. But getting enough protein, vitC, and potassium to not feel run down gets wasteful.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

OnlyBodyWeight is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smerchant@plusd.org View Post
    Heroin is tasty, addictive, and a billion dollar industry. I simply use common sense to know not to touch it.
    This is more bad logic via false analogy.
    Heroin has a defined fatal dosage.
    It will reliably kill anyone who exceeds the fatal dosage.
    To equate fast food with heroin is grossly ignorant and mentally lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by endless View Post
    Sounds like you are just trying to justify eating fast food....go for it. I don't care and am not here to convince you that it's unhealthy. If you can't figure that out on your own then why are you even on this forum...lol
    I rarely eat fast food. However, I am interested in finding intelligent people who have a background in science and logic to explore this media brainwashing that "fast food is rat poison". So far, the evidence provided here is very flimsy and very selective. And mostly ad hominem, straw man, false analogy, and emotional faith based dogma (Yes, it's obvious that eating 5 lbs of french fries is bad for you) I bet this is a very religious forum. Jesus saves!

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Ever had french fries that have been fried in heavily oxidized soybean oil repeatedly heated so many times that they come out dark and bitter? I really don't need any evidence to tell that it can't be healthy.

....void of nutrients they don't offer much in the way of satiety. This creates a never ending craving cycle for many and they end up overeating.

And do you seriously believe that the gov't really cares about the health of the average citizen?
    No, I have never eaten dark and bitter french fries. Most people have not.
    This is yet another weak logic attempt using a straw man argument.

I find it fascinating that people actually think fast food tastes bad.
    This is bassic science. Fast food is engineered to taste PERFECT and be addictive.
    Sugar, salt, fat. It's got the trifecta. This is not controversial.
    People LOVE fast food. Everyone "knows" its bad for you, so do you think they eat it b/c it's rancid? LMFAO.

In reality, fast food fries are golden brown and yummy as hell. That is why they earn $160 BILLION a year. You don't need to force kids to eat french fries. WHY? B/c yummy. Broccoli tastes like cardboard and must be forced down people's throats for a reason! This is NOT rocket science, folks! (It's self-brainwashing?)

Everyone seems to point out "fried" is the crux of the anti-fast food dogma religion. But, what is the person does not eat any fried fast foods? Is it still arsenic that is going make you hemmorage your insides?

What do you mean by "not coming from good quality sources"? How does this contribute to an endless craving cycle? When I have eaten fast food, I feel stuffed and do not eat for many hours afterwards.

As for the crackpot government conspiracy theorists, I can assure you that if people were dropping dead after eating some product, you damn well would see it banned. Are you people really such crackpot tea party Paleo zealots? Scary!

Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    I must apologize, but I cannot get NCMI up here at work

In the mean time, I can offer these links:

Healthy Oils | Mark's Daily Apple
    Dear Mark: Canola Oil | Mark's Daily Apple
    Polyunsaturated Fats: Are They Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Thank you. I plan on perusing these over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    Anytime a person has gone to the "let's put titles on the 'bad logic' of someone else" device, you can immediately assume that they are not interested in actual discussion. They are interested in feeling smarter than other people. I don't feel like encouraging that.

And yes, I could spend a half hour putting together a well-researched, scientifically bulletproof argument to explain why eating that trash is bad for people. That said, I will abdicate to the great Mr. Paine on this one as to why I'd rather go hiking on my day off.

“To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.”
    You've just invented a new fallacy. Argumentum as fallicium?
    "Wait, the guy's resorting to LOGIC?!?! Obviously he's totally wrong"

Ironically, your Paine quote applies to YOU, as *I* am using authority of reason. Not you.
    Last edited by OnlyBodyWeight; 05-07-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast