Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast food: Is there ANY actual evidence/science that it's unhealthy ?? page 4

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by accidentalpancake View Post
    Wait. This makes it sound like the govt DOES tie your shoes. How do I get signed up for that service? I want to get my money's worth.
    LMAO all you have to do is keep giving them your money. Eventually they'll do everything that's in your best interest for you, like OP says.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-roc View Post
    Once in a while I get 3 double hamburgers and toss the buns from McDonalds - made with 100% canadian beef..... but is it better to have nothing in those situations?
    Too bad you all don't have Chipotles in Canada. Their carnitas burrito bowl is totally awesome and doesn't even have seed oils. They also use local and organic when possible.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yawn.....

There are no RCT's that I know of that prove jumping from an airplane with no parachute will lead to injury or death. Imagine that? No PROOF! And all this time I've been avoiding jumping with no parachute with no evidence....silly me.

OP...read some books on nutrition. Or read the PB even! Or a couple of hundred of Marks blog posts. You seem to have a problem with assimilating data to reach a logical conclusion. Maybe you should work on it.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-07-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-roc View Post
    Once in a while I get 3 double hamburgers and toss the buns from McDonalds - made with 100% canadian beef..... but is it better to have nothing in those situations?
    If you crave a fast food burger then go to A&W beef is raised without added hormones or antibiotics.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

bilbo2 is offline Member
    Cheap, inferior frankenfood that is tarted up to taste good to the masses who are not used to real food. Once you know what real, honest food tastes like and have a steady diet of it, the cheap thrill of fast food and its inferiority is apparent. It has been a long time since I indulged but I remember the sick feeling after the first few bites. Also the last time (Subway) I had itching all over my body afterward, likely from additives used to keep the veg "fresh".

Never again--I am completely in love with my primal food and desire nothing else. Even "fine dining" out on the town holds little appeal.

Timthetaco Guest
    God damnit, I lost what I was writing. I don't feel like redoing it, so I'll give you the cliff's notes wall of text without the references. Fast food is high in fat, low in micronutrients, fiber and antioxidants, and uses unhealthy cooking methods like deep frying. When you eat a meal at a fast food restaurant, you're essentially eating nothing but macronutrients alone, which is proinflammatory. That's bad because chronic, low-grade inflammation is pretty well agreed upon to be the cause of major metabolic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and neurodegenerative disease. That's also bad because the agent of your undoing actually lives in your intestines - your gut bacteria. Lipopolysaccharide (endotoxin) is a glycolipid outer layer of gram-negative bacteria, of which there are billions in your body at any given time. When you eat an inflammatory meal, it can alter the expression of genes that regulate the permeability of your intestines. That's bad because there's only a thin layer of cells between your intestines and the rest of you, so when endotoxins are translocated, either through a leaky gut or through the lymphatic system after a high-fat meal - like you'd get at a fast food restaurant - they bind to a pattern recognition receptor called toll-like receptor 4. That triggers inflammation down the line through a variety of mechanisms I don't fully understand because I'm not a scientist. Suffice it to say it's bad, and it happens on a per-meal basis. Endotoxemia is an inevitable result of eating and being alive, and eating good food with fiber and antioxidants lowers your burden of endotoxemia, if you will, because they protect against intestinal permeability and oxidative stress. Once oxidative stress and endotoxemia do their work on your adipose tissue - and they will - the inflammation and stress simply builds upon itself. Your fat stores start releasing inflammatory cytokines, you become insulin resistant, and your organs slowly become damaged over the course of your lifetime. I left out a lot of details, but that's your basic primer.

This isn't necessarily a big deal if you eat fast food occasionally, but a lot of people live on the junk, and not because it "makes them happy". I didn't endure the misery of stumbling out of IHOP half-asleep when I was younger because it made me happy; I did it because the food was tasty. That's a pretty basic reason people eat anything, and junk food is specifically engineered to taste as good as possible so people keep coming back for it.

If you want references (you probably don't), go to Pubmed and search for these things: "low-grade inflammation", "TLR4 AND inflammation", "metabolic endotoxemia", "IL-1B", "TNF-a", "inflammasomes"

That ought to be a good start.

And all that doesn't even touch on lipotoxicity, glucotoxicity or hormones. That's just innate immunity.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 05-07-2014 at 10:08 AM.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo2 View Post
    Cheap, inferior frankenfood that is tarted up to taste good to the masses who are not used to real food. Once you know what real, honest food tastes like and have a steady diet of it, the cheap thrill of fast food and its inferiority is apparent. It has been a long time since I indulged but I remember the sick feeling after the first few bites. Also the last time (Subway) I had itching all over my body afterward, likely from additives used to keep the veg "fresh".

Never again--I am completely in love with my primal food and desire nothing else. Even "fine dining" out on the town holds little appeal.
    This has been my experience, and possibly the experience of my SO. She and I used to eat Checkers, Pizza and Chinese takeout often when we first got out on our own together. Bit by bit though, as I started cooking at home more, we just stopped ordering out as much. When we do order out/eat out, we're both pretty disappointed.

Interestingly, I don't think I'm that good of a chef - everything I make is pretty simple.

M.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    To the OP. I've already done the searches. I do them for me. I don't work for free for people trying to prove how smart they are on a message board.

The GMO thing is in its infancy, but there is some research out there regarding tumors. So is the spray on the veggies/salads. But heck, if you think eating beef that was grown with hormones and antibiotics is optimal, more power to you. There are no superbugs. And if there are, it's because they gave us too many antibiotics growing up, not because they're ubiquitous in the food supply. Do a search on "liquid nuggets."

As to emotion, you think the govt is going to protect you against the corporations that line its pockets? Really? That makes me laugh, so thank you for the chuckle.

I think I'll go defrost some grass fed bison for burgers tonight...
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

bilbo2 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    - everything I make is pretty simple.
    Me too. I make very plain dishes--if you can even call them dishes at all-- of a few or even just one ingredient. Works for me.

jenna is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OP apparently lacks the ability to search the studies for himself and expects to be spoon fed the answers. OP, if you think we are all emotional and unscientific perhaps you should supply some studies of you own "proving" how fast food is not bad for you, and is perfectly healthy, instead of expecting us to disprove your statement.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast