Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast food: Is there ANY actual evidence/science that it's unhealthy ?? page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Googling FDA and trans-fats: Trans Fat

The FDA considers trans-fats as no longer "generally recognized as safe."

The FDA moves pretty slowly and is influenced by industry, but they ARE targeting the unhealthful ingredients in fast-food. THat doesn't mean that all fast-food is unhealthy. Just a lot of it.

Trans-fats are used in fast-food to fry things. A lot of fast-food is fried. Have you ever worked in a fast-food restaurant that had a deep fat frier? I did. The boss changed the oil once a week. He'd pour these heavy 5 gallon jugs into the friers. I don't even remember how many jugs it took. That shit was heavily oxidized. The only thing that kept it edible for so damn long was being partially hydrogenated. That's trans-fat.

To tell the restaurant industry they now have to use lard (which the public would reject but would allow restaurants to change the oil infrequently) or use non-trans fat oils (which would require them to change the oil more frequently) would cost the restaurant industry a lot of money. So they hem and haw to buy time for the restaurant industry to accept their fate.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

miata is online now Senior Member
    I wouldn't say categorically that fast food is bad. Just like slow food (nice restaurant), or home cooked isn't inherently good.

On the other hand if you have this image of a kid eating fried chicken, french fries, giant sodas and apple pies every meal then that is very bad. These kids don't even know what broccoli or cauliflower are -- not to mention brussell sprouts, squash, etc.

Chiptole is an example of fast food that can be pretty healthy if you choose carefully.

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    Srs? I'm bored so I'll answer.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyBodyWeight View Post
    Yet, if it were poison, wouldn't the FDA ban it?
    With their history, I wouldn't trust the gov. to tie my shoe laces if I could.
    Clearly, millions of people eat fast food, and don't drop dead on the spot.
    Food can be the most powerful medicine or the slowest poison. In the case of fast food its the later. Do you seriously think people aren't dieing because of the amount of fast food consumed in this country and any other that has adopted fast food?
    Fast food has high sodium. Is there evidence salt will kill you?
    Thats not even close to the problem people have with fast food.
    Fast food has fat. Is there evidence fat will kill you?
    No, at least not fat in general. Trans fats and rancid seed oils on the other hand...
    Fast food has GMO. Is there evidence GMO will kill you?
    Like I said, slowest poison.
    What if a person just eats a side salad and a small 250 calorie burger? Is he eating poison that is rotting out his insides?
    No. One burger, is not a problem. 30 years of burgers + lack of other essential nutrients because your replacing them with this junk = problem.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.” -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

miata is online now Senior Member
    Speaking of government and nutrition how many people are familiar with US public school lunches. I would generally classify them as poor quality fast food.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    There really isn't much incentive to prove that it is unhealthy because you'd have to put thousands and millions of ingredients under the microscope for decades to know how each one impacts human health. Like Lazarus said, it's industrial food and there isn't any evidence that it's better or even healthier for human consumption. We know that foods found in nature are beneficial to us and that industrial foods are nothing like foods in their natural state.

Sodium... not unhealthy at all, but context matters. For the same reason you can't drink sea water, it's also not a good idea for the average person to consume 5,000-6,000mg of sodium in one meal. Fats... again, NOT unhealthy but context matters because vegetable oils don't come like that in nature. They go through a lot of processing to become useful to the industry, but this also retards them by exposure to high temperatures. Nowhere in nature do most humans have access to the amount of polyunsaturated oils used to cook these industrial foods. You could use the nut and seed argument but have you ever tried to pick nuts and seeds from nature? It takes machinery to get the amount of oils on supermarket shelves; doing it by hand would take days if not weeks and a village of people pitching in to help.

And as far as GMOs go, who is going to pay to prove these are bad for us when big agri is paying big $$$ to prove that it's "safe" for human consumption in their twisted definition of safe. Cigarettes won't kill you in a week, but after 30-40 years of smoking a pack a day, most people have accumulated many negative side effects. Insidious comes to mind...

Anyway, calories are one thing, nutrition is another. Anything that displaces nutrition for "empty" calories may not be inherently bad but not optimal. Sure, some fast food now and then won't hurt you in the long term, but if you eat it regularly, you have to know that you are missing out on nutrients we have established are good and necessary because these industrial foods don't contain them. So while the foods themselves may not be harmful in the immediate, the long term effects of malnutrition by displacement is how and why these foods are harmful even without studies to show why each ingredient is bad for you.

The only argument needed to avoid regular consumption of fast food is: Does it cover all of my nutritional needs without exceeding my caloric needs? Unlikely. Am I displacing nutrient-dense foods for nutritionally-void food? Most likely. These foods are low in nutrients and super high in calories. A recipe for weight gain and malnutrition. It's not only possible but likely that most obese individuals are actually malnourished.
    Last edited by j3nn; 05-07-2014 at 01:23 AM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Well, from my perspective, there are SO MANY choices of real whole foods that are 1000's of times tastier, and without a doubt healthy (not comparing anything here), that I don't see ANY reason why I would spend my hard-earned money to buy junk. The fast-food restaurants are probably convenient for many (prices, proximity, easy access to something you can ingest), but if that's all I can have access to one evening, I will fast or find a grocery store still opened that sells whole fruits / yogurt. Better the latter than worthless junk.

Neeleh is offline Senior Member
    Who needs scientific evidence? If I eat 'junk' I feel like sh*te; gain weight, dull my complexion and become suicidally depressed. n=1? Show me someone this isn't true for.
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Journal: Vibrant Life

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The bar has dropped pretty low when one judges food based on whether or not it makes you drop dead on the spot.

The govt is owned by corporations. Face it - it's not in the business of protecting you, it's in the business of protecting them. Grass fed beef will be made illegal before McCrap is made illegal.

There isn't enough research on GMOs to come to any conclusions. You want to be the guinea pig? That's your choice.

You want to eat animals who've been raised with hormones and daily antibiotics? Be my guest.

You want to eat salad that's been sprayed with who knows what to keep it looking fresh? Again, how you treat your body is up to you.

In the most simplistic terms, nature makes good food; factories make bad food. If you'd eaten decent food for most of your life, you wouldn't even need to ask the question since fast food tastes like the crap from which it's made.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Food science is pretty awful and so fast food will never definitively be proved unhealthy. Most of the evidence is the same type of epidemiological data that condemns red meat...
    That said better quality science may say that wheat is bad for some people, therefore if you are eating burgers which have wheat buns, it's probably not good for you.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Is there ANY actual evidence/science that it's unhealthy ??
    Who cares? It is processed food cooked in crappy oil full of HFCS and other chemicals/additives. I avoid eating shitty foods. I don't need evidence or a study to convince me not to do harmful things to my body.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast