Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Fast food: Is there ANY actual evidence/science that it's unhealthy ?? page 11

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm still waiting for a reason why I should choose fast-food over food I cook myself.
    In all fairness though, this is irrelevant to the premise of the original post.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyB View Post
    Have you seen the people who work/eat there.... Proof enough for me that its something I don't want to be part of!
    And the people who work there tell all their friends not to eat there, because they know what goes into it. I remember this from junior high 30 years ago. And that was pre-GMO, pre pink slime, even pre-nasty wheat.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    McDonalds used to have some really tasty Strawberry Milkshakes thirty years ago! Or maybe my sense of taste has deteriorated or improved over the years because it does not taste half that good anymore…
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

PrimalMarduk is offline Senior Member
    I used to work for McDonalds years ago, also worked for burger king too and I still work part time at a pizza shop. Can I explain to you scientifically why eating that stuff is bad for you? Probably not but as someone who ate tons of that crap I can tell you I never felt crappier and was definitely at my heaviest when I ate that stuff on a daily basis.

Do I still eat some of it? Yes but not nearly as much and when I go on long stretches of eating primally I definitely feel at my best. Obviously everyone is different but while I may not be smart enough to scientifically explain the reasoning behind it, it was pretty apparent the food i was eating was bad for me.

And how does one portion control fast food ? If your constantly eating it the recommended amount wont likely fill you up. On the flip side if you dont eat it much portion control becomes easier fast food doesnt taste as good as before. Eating it now usually makes me sick afterwards. Probably my bodies way of scientifically saying dont eat this garbage

I realize this doesnt answer the op's question to the specifics as to why fastfood is considered bad but still throwing my opinion in

Nourished is offline Senior Member
    I used to eat fast food all the time. In fact I probably gained 100 lbs almost exclusively from fast food. I would never have told you that it made me feel sick but I wasn't really listening to my body at the time. I was young, too, which helps. If you can plow through a bottle of vodka on an empty stomach in a couple of hours and not feel hungover the next morning then french fries and coke probably isn't going to make you feel ill, either. Now that I'm older and have been eating more whole foods I can tell you that it does make me feel funky after eating it. Is this scientific? No. The whole thing about science is that it's really good at telling us how human beings are affected by a chemical on a massive scale. Science can tell you the arsenic in a large enough dose will probably kill you- but maybe it won't, because there are certainly people out there who have survived arsenic poisoning, or who even take poisons regularly and aren't croaking.

So what are we to do? Well we're all adults here so you can decide for yourself. For me I have studied science in depth. I know the limitations of it, especially nutrition science. There's some wisdom in following time-honored cultural food traditions because they evolved over time to benefit people. There's wisdom too, I think, in understanding that we evolved as a species eating whole foods that are processed minimally compared to much of the fare you find in the supermarket today. Ultimately, though, I go with how my body feels. Science will certainly influence me to try new ways of eating, but I go by how well I feel during and after each meal because science can't say what will benefit me as an individual.
    My food philosophy is whole foods, simply and traditionally prepared. Food should honor your taste, health, and the environment.

@Nourished yea I agree. How I feel after I eat is a big influence on how and what I eat as of late. Im 28 and I feel completely different after a night of binging on fast food than when I was 18

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    In all fairness though, this is irrelevant to the premise of the original post.
    In equal fairness, the premise of the original post is stupid.
    The Champagne of Beards

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    In equal fairness, the premise of the original post is stupid.
    If I knew how to make a signature, this might be the winner

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyBodyWeight View Post
    On the contrary, billions of people eat it, and live.
    i will be bold enough to say most of us on here do not want simply to live but to THRIVE.

I have read everything by Taubes, Weil, Nestle, Pollan, Atkins, et al.
    I have read over 3 dozen books on nutrition in the last 20 years.
    soooooo, less than 2 books per year? is it slow-going sounding out all the big words and dragging your finger along the page so as not to lose your place?

I thought trans fats were banned years ago.
    I know for a fact that McDonald's stopped using trans fats.
    They have been removed from about 75% of the food supply.
    mono- and di-glycerides are transfats by another name. same devil, different cloak.

But, in fact, I can actually prove fast food is healthy for you.
    The control will be a person eating no food. Starvation.
    The experiment will be a person eating fast food.
    After about 50 to 70 days, the zero food subject will die.
    the only option in your scenario is no food or big macs? not dying from starvation does not mean your food is healthful or nutritious. it's merely sustenance. medieval beggars lived on gruel when they could get it. not dying didn't equate health. in. any. way.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMarduk View Post
    If I knew how to make a signature, this might be the winner
    Go to the small black menu bar. Drop the menu down under "forum action" and click on "edit profile." In the column on the left, click on "edit signature."
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast