Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reaction to bread after 4 weeks off it page

trayjkay is offline Junior Member

Reaction to bread after 4 weeks off it

Shop Now
    Yesterday I really fancied some white bread after 4 weeks abstaining, I had 2 slices with butter and then it felt like it got stuck and wouldn't go down. Today I have had diarrhoea for 12 hours straight, horrendous!! Just took some imodium as I am delivering training tomorrow then catching a train, neither are good if I have a dodgy tummy!!

Anyone else had this awful experience? I am going to docs next week for blood tests, for coeliac disease? Will try bread again in a few weeks to see if reaction is same,

T

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

MaceyUK is online now Senior Member
    I used to eat tons of the stuff and now it gives me all sorts of problems. There's definitely a paleo effect on gluten tolerance imho. I reckon our bodies create a defence against the stuff and let their guard down when we stop bombarding them with crap.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

Neeleh is offline Senior Member
    If I eat bread these days it gives me a rush and then headaches and depression the following day. I marvel that I was ever able to eat it at all
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Journal: Vibrant Life

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trayjkay View Post
    Yesterday I really fancied some white bread after 4 weeks abstaining, I had 2 slices with butter and then it felt like it got stuck and wouldn't go down. Today I have had diarrhoea for 12 hours straight, horrendous!! Just took some imodium as I am delivering training tomorrow then catching a train, neither are good if I have a dodgy tummy!!

Anyone else had this awful experience? I am going to docs next week for blood tests, for coeliac disease? Will try bread again in a few weeks to see if reaction is same,

T

Hello, this was a comment I posted on Mark's post about gluten:

Re gluten, etc.
    I was off gluten for 2 years. Great move, but I was neither celiac nor visibly sensitive to it as far as I can say. I did have some brain fog and gained bad weight (visceral fat), had chronic vitamin D deficiency, bad dental health, etc. The change of diet that I underwent is so full of confounders that I cannot say gluten removal improved everything for me.

BUT! A few weeks after I started a clean diet of whole foods (not particularly low carb because I do love to eat starches but to drop some bad weight, I also restricted starches for a while), I got glutenized by mistake and I paid for it … (weird body pain, sore joints, etc, for 2-3 days). That confirmed me that gluten was a nogo.

Fast forward: I eat tons of prebiotic (inulin, RS) and some probiotics once in a while. The other day at work, a colleague celebrated his 50th birthday. There were a few big cakes full of wheat, sugar, cream, etc. I thought that after 2 years being rather strict, I would experiment. So I took a big portion of every cake and ate them (it was about 3pm, that was my first “food” of the day). It was disgustingly sweet and not particularly tasty (I am about 99% on real foods most of the time). So I expected to experience weirdish consequences after eating these cakes. I actually experienced nothing AT ALL. No bloat, no pain, no screwed up sleep, no sudden weird cravings, no mood swings.

Conclusion: if you treat your gut correctly and boost its ability to work optimally, the occasional crap is not an issue. The funny thing is really this: once I ate the stuff, I did not feel like some more and it did not change my whole food routine at all. That’s to me a sign that my gut health is very good It took 2 years …
    So the takeaway message is that you need to "heal" your gut by boosting prebiotics and probiotics. Being gluten free for a long time and fixing your gut will in the long run not trigger these reactions. There is some scholar article I believe describing how bifidobacteria can prevent the inflammatory effects of gliadin (a gluten protein, one if not the most problematic one). So you can try a few months or 1 year without ANY gluten at all, while fixing your gut with inulin, resistant starches, fructooligosaccharides (FOS), and soil based probiotics like Prescript-Assist, etc. Start slowly and build up over time.

Hmmm very interesting reading! I might need to try it again, nervously, in 4 weeks! I have taken acidophilus (non dairy) since starting paleo so wouldn't that be helping with my bacteria levels? Might do some further reading on this love a bit of research!

T

Just read this article, sounds exactly like I am experiencing, had 24 hrs of bad stomach cramps and on toilet all night !!

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/1...ood-poisoning/

Quote Originally Posted by trayjkay View Post
    Just read this article, sounds exactly like I am experiencing, had 24 hrs of bad stomach cramps and on toilet all night !!

Do you have food poisoning? | Wheat Belly Blog

Yes, you give your gut a rest from gluten but not long enough to have it fully armored against it. If you still have a bad reaction after a month without gluten, you still have to build your natural armor (gut flora) and have the gut lining fixed up. It probably takes many months. As I said, gluten is no longer triggering anything for me after 2 years and gut flora and lining fixed up over time. Note that this is my interpretation, I have no scientific or medical proof that it is exactly what happened in me.

My gluten free diet has become anyway so normal, such a habit, that the gluten food I had not long ago is no reason for me to change. But now I know I can be "socially acceptable" in parties and celebrations that matter without suffering the consequences. So 3 or 4 times / year eating a piece of cake or croissant when it matters is no longer a concern.

Neeleh is offline Senior Member
    now I know I can be "socially acceptable" in parties and celebrations that matter without suffering the consequences. So 3 or 4 times / year eating a piece of cake or croissant when it matters is no longer a concern.
    Wow, what an amazing and inspiring outcome Frenchfry, does this not trigger any cravings at all? Do you eat paleo type baked alternatives at other times (cookies etc?) I still find those rich foods triggering.
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Journal: Vibrant Life

Quote Originally Posted by Neeleh View Post
    Wow, what an amazing and inspiring outcome Frenchfry, does this not trigger any cravings at all? Do you eat paleo type baked alternatives at other times (cookies etc?) I still find those rich foods triggering.
    Yeah, I am quite happy about it
    Paleo type baked alternatives ? No, i tried at the very beginning but it collided too much with my french baking habits and results were mediocre. A waste of time and money, all these nut flours are quite pricy. So I thought: screw it, no paleo-cakes or whatever nonsense.

I do pizza sort of regularly, I just use a gluten-free flour, make a thin crust and add a lot of topping that are nutritious (when the pizza slice is on my plate, I add e.g. some slightly smoked cod livers on it - delicious!). As to cakes, same, I use gluten-free flours, and for crÍpes, I use buckwheat flour. But these treats are quite rare (1x month for the crepes maybe, and cakes are reserved for birthdays).

About food cravings: not at all. I am always looking forward to eating eggs, liver, fish, potatoes, etc. Neither bread nor cakes.
    Last edited by FrenchFry; 05-07-2014 at 02:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast