Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barbell Complexes anyone? page

adamm is offline Senior Member

Barbell Complexes anyone?

Shop Now
    Does anyone else here do barbell complexes for conditioning? I do them on my non lifting days.

At the same time, I was wondering if there was a downside to just doing them every day? They only last 12 to 15 minutes in total, they don't fatigue the muscles like strength training, etc.

--Me

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    «The bear» : 1. power clean, 2. front squat 3. push press from front, 4. ass to grass back squat, 5. push press behind neck, 6. lower with Romanian deadlift. Rinse and repeat...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    They're really good for mental and physical conditioning, and I've done plenty of them. Right now, though, they seem to inhibit recovery from strength workouts, so I make my rest days a bit more restful.

Sent via lightsaber

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    They're really good for mental and physical conditioning, and I've done plenty of them. Right now, though, they seem to inhibit recovery from strength workouts, so I make my rest days a bit more restful.

Sent via lightsaber
    Interesting. Have you ever done them after strength training rather than on rest days? To finish workouts?

--Me

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post
    Interesting. Have you ever done them after strength training rather than on rest days? To finish workouts?

--Me

Yeah, I've played around with using them as a sprint-type "finisher" on workout days, or as their own day conditioning workout. Worked fine for that purpose, just is hard to fit in to my current 3 heavy days per week lifting schedule without me feeling like it's inhibiting my recovery. Your mileage may vary.

Sent via lightsaber

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I love them. Make them up and do them instead of cardio. I do the 5-3-1 program, and on upper body days, I finish with an intense 10-15 minute cardio session and sometimes will do a complex and sometimes I do them on my rest day. I would think that doing them daily if you already lift would be overkill.

A lot of times I will change the reps on the movements- I might do say, 8 reps of deadlifts, front squats, good mornings, back squats but then just 2 or 4 push presses.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Whether or not there is a downside would depend on what your goals are. As I'm trying to maximize size and strength anything extra is just something to eat into my recuperation.

SpitFire is online now Senior Member
    I came across these the other day and was thinking of incorporating them. I want to keep my rest days so I may do them at the end of my workout.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Cosgrove Evil 8
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

I'm trying to get leaner without losing strength or muscle, which is why I asked. At the same time, I don't feel I need to gain any strength or muscle either, as I'm happy where I am.

I thought by adding more complexes in to my routine (usually I just lift heavy 5 x a week, complexes 2 x a week, and sprinting 1 x a week) I could slightly increase the rate of loss. Hence the thought of just doing complexes after each and every workout.

--Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast