Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grass Fed Beef page

smerchant@plusd.org is online now Senior Member

Grass Fed Beef

Shop Now
    How important is it really? I still have my organic grass fed butter and organic cage free eggs, but I just can't afford grass fed beef.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smerchant@plusd.org View Post
    How important is it really? I still have my organic grass fed butter and organic cage free eggs, but I just can't afford grass fed beef.

From what I have read, the nutritional differences are measurable but likely insignificant. I buy grass-fed for the taste and I like the idea of supporting my local producer and not supporting inhumane feedlots. The idea of eating meat from a probably heavily medicated, diseased cow that has spent its last days (months?) in a crowded feedlot wallowing around in mud up to its knees is just too gross for me to handle.
    Last edited by Artbuc; 05-06-2014 at 01:53 AM.

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    From what I have read, the nutritional differences are measurable but likely insignificant. I buy grass-fed for the taste and I like the idea of supporting my local producer and not supporting inhumane feedlots. The idea of eating meat from a probably heavily medicated, diseased cow that has spent its last days (months?) in a crowded feedlot wallowing around in mud up to its knees is just too gross for me to handle.
    This. The greater returns are seen with just getting humans off the grains and industrial seed oils. Though for many of us, the extra nutrition and ethical implications are worth it.

Me personally: I'm on a college student salary (lol), and I buy it when I can afford it. I also buy cheaper cuts of both conventional (to save for the good stuff) and ethical (to afford it!)

gdot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smerchant@plusd.org View Post

Look for grass fed sausage - much less expensive.

Also look for venison and other wild game.

If you can eat them herring and sardines in cans.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I honestly feel that its benefits are undersold a little, especially when one is consuming a lot of it like I do

I also think it would help for you to find a cheaper distributor.....my local grocery store apparently sells it for $5 a pound, frequently putting it on sale for $4 when stocks are still not sold. That is not a big jump from the feedlot stuff. I can't imagine one would be unable to find a way to buy it in bulk for around those prices, if not lower.
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I can find ground wagyu beef for $6 a pound. It turns out wagyu beef is grass-fed and grass-finished. It's pretty fatty and delicious so I think that's why people don't like it and why it's so cheap.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

JimenyKrickets is offline Senior Member
    Buy in bulk and go in with some friends if needed. I just bought a half of of a grass finished cow for $3.15 a pound. That includes, burger, roasts, steaks and they throw in the organs and bones for free.

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I honestly feel that its benefits are undersold a little, especially when one is consuming a lot of it like I do

I also think it would help for you to find a cheaper distributor.....my local grocery store apparently sells it for $5 a pound, frequently putting it on sale for $4 when stocks are still not sold. That is not a big jump from the feedlot stuff. I can't imagine one would be unable to find a way to buy it in bulk for around those prices, if not lower.
    I agree with this. Luckily, my local farm sells grass-fed ground beef around what regular organic ground beef is at the store. I'm on a divorced father income but I can't make myself buy anything else. I love that place and the people that run it.

smerchant@plusd.org is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like I should try to find a way to keep it. What about organic cage free eggs? How important are those?

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Ethical concerns aside, as long as you are getting lean meats the difference is not significant to matter.

Eggs would be more important imo. Get either organic or eggs from "pastured" birds. Depending on your area the latter can be found really inexpensive on Craigslist sometimes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast