Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Grass Fed Beef page 4

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Let's address the elephant in the room. Generally, grass fed beef not only tastes worse, it's more expensive for Australian farmers to produce and it's also way less consistent. It has a lot less fat on it and costs a lot more. Not many people will pay for it.
    If you don't like it buy wild fish or lamb instead. I find lamb is actually more affordable around here anyway. Its on sale this week for $3.50lb (ground or chops). Ground grass fed (says guaranteed 100% grass fed) is on sale for $4 but its usually $6, often $7lbs. I'm with everyone else though, I like the "game" flavor.

As for is it worth it- I can't afford to eat it all the time but lately I've been making an effort to buy it for 1-2 meals a day. Usually have a small lamb chop for breakfast now with sauteed spinach and a poached egg. I've found I feel and look better than before. Its a noticeable but not huge difference, mostly clearer skin, slightly flatter looking tummy but no weight loss. Still, for the first 2 years I was primal I ate only corn-fed (didn't even stick to lean), conventional eggs and chicken. Never organ meats, wild fish, or any of that other good stuff. Still saw most of the benefits of this diet. All in all, guess my point is do what you can afford, as long as you eat a primal template, it seems to work out.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

smerchant@plusd.org is offline Senior Member
    $3.50 a pound for ground lamb is a steal. It's $6 a pound at my market. I would love to get that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smerchant@plusd.org View Post
    $3.50 a pound for ground lamb is a steal. It's $6 a pound at my market. I would love to get that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
    Lucky! Lamb is almost $8 now where I am now! The legs I bought during the winter were 4.50ish. That's seasonality for you!

The MDA drunk: drunk posting warning. I feel like I should add a caveat; this is my Saturday afternoon!

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, its usually $5 but my local market puts it on $3.50 sale about once a month. Then I go buy all the lamb they have
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Instead of CAFO beef, can you cut your budget somewhere else so you can afford grass-fed?

"Fresh" produce is overrated. Buy frozen vegetables in 5 pound bags. They won't be organic, but IMO corn-fed beef is worse than conventional veggies. Cut down on expensive drinks, supplements, protein powders. Surely you can find $5/week somewhere else in the budget?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234