Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 Day Total Body Transformation - jrosto page

jrosto is offline Senior Member

21 Day (and beyond) Total Body Transformation - jrosto

Shop Now
    Hello my name is John and today is the first day of my 21-Day Total Body Transformation.

I am 52 years old, overweight (obese really), and have a disease called Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF). Basically my lungs are reacting to some past damage and have gone into overdrive creating scar tissue. Outside of a lung transplant, there is no real treatment for this disease.

Due to the IPF, I will have to make some modifications to the exercise portion of the 21 day plan. I am currently in Pulmonary Rehab three days a week. Pulm Rehab is basically low impact aerobics and weight training with free oxygen. I will try to sneak some sprints in on the machines on my “Sprint” days. Speaking of oxygen, I use supplemental oxygen for any exertion at all. I use up to 6 lpm continuous flow for moderate exercise. Exercise exertion will be limited by my blood oxygen saturation. It really is best to keep it above 90%.

Why did I choose the Primal Blueprint? A couple of reasons really. I already know that my body does not like sugar. Sugary foods make me cough and short of breath. Carbs have helped make me fat. Makes sense to cut out those two foods.

Another reason is that I know a man, Bill Vick, who has IPF and just ran a 5K earlier this month. Bill introduced me to the Primal Blueprint via an IPF forum. Bill and I share a doctor and I can verify that his story is real, gives me some hope.

The main results I expect to achieve by following the Primal Blueprint are weight loss, increased energy, increased fitness, and increased efficiency of oxygen use by my body. I want to live what life I have left better.

And… I want to look good nekkid.

My Sweetie is not at all interested in joining me on this path. The good thing is that I do all the cooking in the house so I can ensure that dinners do follow the blueprint

I cleared out the pantry yesterday. We have one cupboard for baking supplies, and one for pasta and cereal for her. The cupboards I cook out of are now Primal.

So here goes ...
    Last edited by jrosto; 05-27-2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Fix Title

Day 1

Weight = 251

Breakfast was eaten at work and consisted of 1 banana and one hardboiled egg. I know the banana was not the best choice and was probably the reason why I got hungry after only a couple of hours.

Took a walk around the distribution center where I work. My shop is about a quarter mile from my desk, makes getting some walking in easy. Walking involves carrying my oxygen tank so I always have an extra 8 pounds to lug around. Great for doing curls.

I could of used a snack between breakfast and lunch.

Lunch was a primal salad. Two handfuls of leafy greens, ¼ orange bell pepper, 1 hardboiled egg, ½ an avocado, a handful of cherry tomatoes, a small handful of mixed berries, a couple pinches of pumpkin seeds and two tablespoons of a sugar free and unsweetened dressing. The dressing did have an organic canola/olive oil base. A small failure there.

On my way to Pulmonary Rehab I had another unconscious failure. When I hopped in the Jeep I popped a couple pieces of gum into my mouth to freshen my breath. I took me about 10 minutes to realize that I was chewing some artificial gunk that I really didn’t need to do any more. I’ll have to figure something else out if I want fresh breath for Pulm Rehab. I just hate the idea of brushing my teeth at work.

Exercises at Pulm Rehab consisted of the following exercises:

Two treadmill sessions. First at 2.5 mph and second at 2 mph. Seven minutes each session.

One session on the Nu Step. Averaged 59 Watts at a resistance level of 6. 67 steps/minute.

Worked on an arm machine that I don’t know the name of for two minutes.

Did the following weight exercises using 5 lb weights, 7 reps each activity.

- Bicep curls
    - Overhead press
    - Tricep extension
    - Chest press

Did 10 reps at light weight on the following machines

- Leg extension
    - Leg curl
    - Rotary torso
    - Reverse chest fly
    - Lateral pull

I know these exercises are not in line with the blueprint, but I have 6 to 8 weeks of pulm rehab left to go. I talked with the therapists about using one of the machines to do sprints on occasionally, probably the Nu Step. We’ll have to see how my blood oxygen sats go with the regular exercises. After pulm rehab I will start exercising according to the blueprint.

Stopped by Whole Foods to get some snacks for work and more avocados. Was looking forward to getting some jerky. Really disappointed that the second ingredient for all of the jerky’s was sugar. I did find some beef and lamb bars that have no added sugar or preservatives. The brand is “Epic”. Looks pretty cool.

Dinner is baked split chicken breast, salad with avocado and orange bell pepper, and steamed broccoli.

Note to self: Slow down and chew your food. Make some snaks to take to work this weekend and make a nice primal salad dressing.

Vappid is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jrosto View Post
    Day 1

Weight = 251

Breakfast was eaten at work and consisted of 1 banana and one hardboiled egg. I know the banana was not the best choice and was probably the reason why I got hungry after only a couple of hours.

Took a walk around the distribution center where I work. My shop is about a quarter mile from my desk, makes getting some walking in easy. Walking involves carrying my oxygen tank so I always have an extra 8 pounds to lug around. Great for doing curls.

I could of used a snack between breakfast and lunch.

Lunch was a primal salad. Two handfuls of leafy greens, ¼ orange bell pepper, 1 hardboiled egg, ½ an avocado, a handful of cherry tomatoes, a small handful of mixed berries, a couple pinches of pumpkin seeds and two tablespoons of a sugar free and unsweetened dressing. The dressing did have an organic canola/olive oil base. A small failure there.

On my way to Pulmonary Rehab I had another unconscious failure. When I hopped in the Jeep I popped a couple pieces of gum into my mouth to freshen my breath. I took me about 10 minutes to realize that I was chewing some artificial gunk that I really didn’t need to do any more. I’ll have to figure something else out if I want fresh breath for Pulm Rehab. I just hate the idea of brushing my teeth at work.

Exercises at Pulm Rehab consisted of the following exercises:

Two treadmill sessions. First at 2.5 mph and second at 2 mph. Seven minutes each session.

One session on the Nu Step. Averaged 59 Watts at a resistance level of 6. 67 steps/minute.

Did the following weight exercises using 5 lb weights, 7 reps each activity.

- Bicep curls
    - Overhead press
    - Tricep extension
    - Chest press

- Leg extension
    - Leg curl
    - Rotary torso
    - Reverse chest fly
    - Lateral pull

I know these exercises are not in line with the blueprint, but I have 6 to 8 weeks of pulm rehab left to go. I talked with the therapists about using one of the machines to do sprints on occasionally, probably the Nu Step. We’ll have to see how my blood oxygen sats go with the regular exercises. After pulm rehab I will start exercising according to the blueprint.

Stopped by Whole Foods to get some snacks for work and more avocados. Was looking forward to getting some jerky. Really disappointed that the second ingredient for all of the jerky’s was sugar. I did find some beef and lamb bars that have no added sugar or preservatives. The brand is “Epic”. Looks pretty cool.

Dinner is baked split chicken breast, salad with avocado and orange bell pepper, and steamed broccoli.

Note to self: Slow down and chew your food. Make some snaks to take to work this weekend and make a nice primal salad dressing.
    Welcome aboard! I'm a new guy too, so I just wanted to stop by and offer some encouragement. I'm coming up on 3 weeks in and I feel great, I'm sure you will too.

A couple of things I noticed from your log above.

A banana and a hard boiled egg isn't much to eat at all for breakfast. I know some people don't tolerate breakfast well, so if you're one of those people, forget I said anything. I have been trying to have at least 4 hard boiled eggs for breakfast, and it has held me over pretty well until 5 hours later when I have lunch.

I have been browsing the jerky at numerous stores as well, I found the same thing as you in regards to sugar. I got some Bison jerky and Trader Joes that was pretty good, but overall I have been pretty disappointed with whole foods as far as packaged food goes.

For salad dressing, I have just mixed up some Olive oil and Balsamic Vinegar, it has been great. I couldn't believe all of the nasty ingredients in salad dressing once I started looking!

I still chew gum like a madman, since I quit smoking a couple of weeks ago, I'm not going to stress about that. Can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

One last thing, some exercise is better than no exercise!

scooter748driver is offline Senior Member
    John,

Welcome to MDA and to the forum! Although I don't struggle with the medical issues you related, we are otherwise very similar (in fact, my name is John as well). I'll be 50 in a couple of months. I started PB on 3/24 with a starting weight of 257 on a 5'11" frame. As of yesterday I was at a solid 234 - so down 23 pounds in 6 weeks with nothing more than following the blueprint and doing some walking.

Sounds like you have a solid plan in place (or in mind) and I'm sure you'll see great results. My advice is to stay as close to the blueprint as possible for at least the first 3 weeks after that it's more of a habit (at least it was for me). I also found that posting my meals here every day held me accountable to staying PB as i don't want to embarrass myself by posting a bunch of junk here for all to see. And if you make a mistake, no big deal. Shake it off and press on. Try not to make 2 mistakes in a row (2 bad meals in a row, miss 2 exercise days in a row, etc), otherwise it might be more difficult to resume PB.

Good luck! Feel free to reach out if needed - I'm no expert, but am finding success here as I know you will.
    You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It's called perseverance. ~ Lee Iacocca

The first and the best victory is to conquer self. ~ Plato

Hey Vappid and John. Thanks for checking in and saying "Hi".

I get full pretty easy in the mornings so while at work a smaller breakfast works for me. I'll save the larger first meal for my intermittent fasting days.

Thanks for the encouragement, I really do appreciate it. I have to focus on sticking to the blueprint. I don't mind if folks point out my slip ups. Keeping the public journal will keep me honest

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Day 1 addendum.

Forgot to add that I drank 24 oz of coffee yesterday.

Coughing can be a large part of IPF. The only thing I have found to effectively handle cough attacks is a product called "Osha Root Cough Syrup". And yep, it is an evap came juice syrup. Last night I had a cough attack and tried to just work thru it for an hour or so before giving up and taking 2 tsp of the syrup. New goal is to find something else that works.

Hopefully the blueprint will go a long way towards minimizing my cough attacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Day 2

Today's breakfast was a hardboiled egg and half an avocado. It seems that the avocado was a much better choice than yesterday's banana. I was satisfied all the way up to lunch, actually could have push lunch back a bit if I had wanted.

Drank 24 oz of coffee. This is at least 16 oz less than what I was drinking prior to following the blueprint.

Took two walks at work today, one fairly quick half mile walk to the shop and back to my desk. My afternoon walk was slower as I walked the interior perimeter of the building looking for issues that my Maintenance Team needs to address.

Lunch was leftover chicken breast and broccoli from last night. Added a pat of butter to keep it moist in the microwave. Since I wasn't "starving" when it got to lunch time, I was able to slow down and really enjoy my meal.

We watch one of our granddaughters after school. While she was having her after school snack, I had an "Epic Beef, Habanero and Cherry" bar. It was pretty good.

Dinner is going to be beef meatballs, carrots and salad with avocado. The meatballs are... well chit. I got them out of the meat counter at Whole Foods and thought I was doing good. Guess what. I just read the label and found that the second ingredient is "Panko Bread Crumbs". Chit, chit, chit. I bought a bunch of them to have a couple days lunches.

Okay, dinner reset. My dinner is going to be an omelet and carrots and a salad. Not sure what we will do with the meatballs my Sweetie and granddaughter don't eat. I'll think of something.

For the first part of today I was behind in my oxygen. I had to use more supplemental O2 than normal to keep my blood saturation above 90%. I also felt kind of blech today. Plenty of energy, but blech. Could be because my body is pissed at me for not eating carbs, could be because I didn't get much sleep last night.

Have not really been hungry at all today.

I plan on cleannig out the refrigerator when my Sweetie takes my granddaughter to soccer practice. Another item checked off the 21 day list

Day 3

Had a much better today than yesterday. My blood oxygen saturation was easier to maintain and I didn't have the blech feeling. Even better, I didn't have a coughing attack last night and once I got to sleep I slept until the alarm went off.

One of today's challenges was to stretch out time between meals and eat based on hunger instead of a clock. Not as easy to do in a work environment. I was able to push breakfast back to 8:30. I could have waited longer but I had Pulmonary Rehab in the afternoon and wanted to be able to eat something a couple hours before that.

I walked around the distribution center before eating breakfast to ensure we were ready for our "Home Office" tour. Things looked really good.

When I got back from my walk, I found two homemade Chorizo and egg breakfast tacos on my desk. Yum yum. I ate the Chorizo and egg with half an avocado. I did not eat the fresh tortillas.

Another walk after doing some desk work to get with my guys and go over a couple upcoming projects. Total walking in the distribution center a little over a mile.

Lunch was one hardboiled egg, 1/2 and avocado and some leftover cooked carrots.

Today was a Pulmonary Rehab day. Exercises at Pulm Rehab consisted of the following exercises:

Two treadmill sessions at 2.5 mph. Seven minutes each session.

One session on the Nu Step. Averaged 62 Watts at a resistance level of 6. 60 steps/minute.

Did the following weight exercises using 5 lb weights, 10 reps each activity.

- Bicep curls
    - Overhead press
    - Tricep extension
    - Chest press

- Leg extension
    - Leg curl
    - Rotary torso
    - Reverse chest fly
    - Lateral pull

Afternoon snack was 1 cup of whole milk unsweetened Kiefer. Working on getting the gut bugs going and seeing how I handle the addition of dairy.

Dinner is going to be one or two chicken thighs, steamed broccoli and a few mixed berries.

I feel much better today than yesterday. Energy level is up and body feels like something good is going on.

If you are reading this, thanks.

Day 4

Forgot to list yesterday's coffee. 24 oz. Today was closer to 30 oz.

Entered yesterday's food into MyFitnessPal. Total carbs were only 47. A little low. I'm going to need to do a better job of pre-planning next week's meals at work. The meatball fiasco kind of set me off track. I had enough for several meals.

Last night I had another small cough attack. Used my cough syrup early so I could get back to sleep.

Waited until I was hungry to eat breakfast, that occurred at about 9:30. Not bad seeing as how I get up at 5:45 to get to work by 7:00. Breakfast was 1 hard boiled egg and 1/2 an avocado.

Did one walk around the distribution center today, the rest of my day was filled with meetings and deskwork. I did get up and walk around the office every once in a while.

Today was the monthly "Lunch" in the front office. We all bring in parts to make a meal. Today's meal was sandwiches, I brought the onions, tomatoes and pickled jalapenos. I ate a primal salad. Two handfuls of mixed greens, 1/4 red bell pepper, 1/2 an avocado, a few jalapeno slices, 1/2 a very nice tomato, 2 slices of pepper jack cheese and 2 tbs of salad dressing (no sugar or sweeteners).

Didn't get much in the way of exercise in today, just the walk around the DC.

Feel pretty good, not hungry and plenty of energy. Oxygen usage is at my normal, so my Day 2 issue was not due to the Pulm Rehab.

Today was the monthly "Lunch" in the front office. We all bring in parts to make a meal. Today's meal was sandwiches, I brought the onions, tomatoes and pickled jalapenos. I ate a primal salad. Two handfuls of mixed greens, 1/4 red bell pepper, 1/2 an avocado, a few jalapeno slices, 1/2 a very nice tomato, 2 slices of pepper jack cheese and 2 tbs of salad dressing (no sugar or sweeteners).

Afternoon snack was cup of whole milk unsweetened kefir.

Tonight is beer night. Yep, I know, not the best decision at this point. My Sweetie and I have been playing Bottle Cap Bingo at the World of Beer for a good long time now. It is pretty much the only social activity that my wife really enjoys, so we will go. I made the decision before committing to the blueprint to have one beer night, and this is it. We'll see how I react tonight and tomorrow. Our tradition is to have Double Dave's pizza on bingo night. So I'll order her the pizza and I'll have a primal meal. They do have primal adaptable meals at the bar. We will see how this goes. I'm kind of expecting to have a hard time tomorrow with hunger.

betsybee is offline Junior Member
    Wow! You go, dude! I'm very impressed with your efforts. At 55, i know how hard it is to just do it. All those years of bad habits to break. And you are just grabbing your O2 tank and going forward. Keep it up!

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast