Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Bursitis page

  1. #1
    David's Avatar
    David is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    113

    Bursitis

    Primal Fuel
    I have bursitis outside of a hip. Realize this is an effect not the cause of the inflamed area. Does anyone know to eliminate bursitis? I have had this for 4 months. Doctor recommended cortizone injection. Not for me. It would mask the symptom and the inflamed area at best.

    I am avoiding leg work and lifts other than rowing and walking, farmer's walk.

  2. #2
    miata's Avatar
    miata is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    761
    I have bursitis on my elbow and my doc says to avoid irritation and use ice packs to reduce inflammation. Seems to be improving.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

  3. #3
    LindyCG's Avatar
    LindyCG is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    231
    Out of curiosity, what does bursitis of the hip feel like? I have chronic hip issues from a tilted pelvis (I think?) and while I usually manage it okay, tonight it's killing me - my fault, I laid on my side on the couch watching TV and now I'm getting pain down my thigh. I don't know precisely what's wrong with my hip and causing my pain.

    Sorry, I have nothing useful to contribute re: fixing it, other than a strong core. I've been dealing with it for years and my efforts (massage, chiropractor, physical therapy, etc.) only seem to change the way the pain manifests (started out as my right hip hurting, lately it's my left hip popping/cracking painfully at least once a day).

  4. #4
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,082
    I would recommend working with someone who can change your postural patterns (from compensatory to balanced), and in the process work with massage and mobility work/yoga.

  5. #5
    Energy!'s Avatar
    Energy! is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    270
    Have you tried getting extra collagen from connective tissues (e.g. ribs), bone stocks and/or gelatin? I used to have painful hips (usually left side) from sciatica and in addition to taking calcium and magnesium, also found online a piriformis (pelvic) stretch that really helped. I don't know if that stretch would help with these other conditions, though.

  6. #6
    wugang's Avatar
    wugang is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I have bursitis on my elbow and my doc says to avoid irritation and use ice packs to reduce inflammation. Seems to be improving.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    I never understood this icing injuries thing. Why should an injury get better when cooling it. And it also never worked for me. The warmer the better. Also, chinese doctorts would apply heat and tell you to keep it warm in winter.

  7. #7
    photocat's Avatar
    photocat is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    51
    Physical Therapy is probably your best bet to start. "itis" = inflammation. Inflammation is heat, therefore icing helps relieve any sort of "itis"

  8. #8
    wugang's Avatar
    wugang is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by photocat View Post
    Physical Therapy is probably your best bet to start. "itis" = inflammation. Inflammation is heat, therefore icing helps relieve any sort of "itis"
    Would you also ice a bronchitis? Why would people with arthritis feel better in warmer climate?

    As far as i know the heat is part of the process of inflammation and in some injuries inflammation is the actual healing process. I doubt that surpressing this natural process with icing it is helping much. When i was still playing basketball our coach or the physician would take out their ice spray. Wow, it feels cold, numb and really stiff but it doesn't hurt. When i would have similiar injuries when i was in china i would take some ice an hold it to the area. They thought i was crazy. They would tell me to keep it warm, especially in winter. And it worked, it healed faster.

  9. #9
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Port Townsend, Washington
    Posts
    3,736
    Rest, bone broth and a little extra D3 helped my elbow bursitis heal in 3 months. Mine was trauma-related (banged it in the shower.)

    I would take all added stress away and drop the farmer's walk for now.

  10. #10
    ssn679doc's Avatar
    ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,733
    Quote Originally Posted by wugang View Post
    Would you also ice a bronchitis? Why would people with arthritis feel better in warmer climate?

    As far as i know the heat is part of the process of inflammation and in some injuries inflammation is the actual healing process. I doubt that surpressing this natural process with icing it is helping much. When i was still playing basketball our coach or the physician would take out their ice spray. Wow, it feels cold, numb and really stiff but it doesn't hurt. When i would have similiar injuries when i was in china i would take some ice an hold it to the area. They thought i was crazy. They would tell me to keep it warm, especially in winter. And it worked, it healed faster.
    Alternating between ice and moist heat usually works for me. The ice acts as an anesthetic, to some degree, and the heat increases blood flow to encourage healing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •