Thread: Bursitis page

David is offline Senior Member

Bursitis

Primal Fuel
    I have bursitis outside of a hip. Realize this is an effect not the cause of the inflamed area. Does anyone know to eliminate bursitis? I have had this for 4 months. Doctor recommended cortizone injection. Not for me. It would mask the symptom and the inflamed area at best.

I am avoiding leg work and lifts other than rowing and walking, farmer's walk.

miata is online now Senior Member
    I have bursitis on my elbow and my doc says to avoid irritation and use ice packs to reduce inflammation. Seems to be improving.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

LindyCG is offline Senior Member
    Out of curiosity, what does bursitis of the hip feel like? I have chronic hip issues from a tilted pelvis (I think?) and while I usually manage it okay, tonight it's killing me - my fault, I laid on my side on the couch watching TV and now I'm getting pain down my thigh. I don't know precisely what's wrong with my hip and causing my pain.

Sorry, I have nothing useful to contribute re: fixing it, other than a strong core. I've been dealing with it for years and my efforts (massage, chiropractor, physical therapy, etc.) only seem to change the way the pain manifests (started out as my right hip hurting, lately it's my left hip popping/cracking painfully at least once a day).

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I would recommend working with someone who can change your postural patterns (from compensatory to balanced), and in the process work with massage and mobility work/yoga.

Energy! is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried getting extra collagen from connective tissues (e.g. ribs), bone stocks and/or gelatin? I used to have painful hips (usually left side) from sciatica and in addition to taking calcium and magnesium, also found online a piriformis (pelvic) stretch that really helped. I don't know if that stretch would help with these other conditions, though.

wugang is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I have bursitis on my elbow and my doc says to avoid irritation and use ice packs to reduce inflammation. Seems to be improving.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    I never understood this icing injuries thing. Why should an injury get better when cooling it. And it also never worked for me. The warmer the better. Also, chinese doctorts would apply heat and tell you to keep it warm in winter.

photocat is offline Member
    Physical Therapy is probably your best bet to start. "itis" = inflammation. Inflammation is heat, therefore icing helps relieve any sort of "itis"

wugang is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by photocat View Post
    Physical Therapy is probably your best bet to start. "itis" = inflammation. Inflammation is heat, therefore icing helps relieve any sort of "itis"
    Would you also ice a bronchitis? Why would people with arthritis feel better in warmer climate?

As far as i know the heat is part of the process of inflammation and in some injuries inflammation is the actual healing process. I doubt that surpressing this natural process with icing it is helping much. When i was still playing basketball our coach or the physician would take out their ice spray. Wow, it feels cold, numb and really stiff but it doesn't hurt. When i would have similiar injuries when i was in china i would take some ice an hold it to the area. They thought i was crazy. They would tell me to keep it warm, especially in winter. And it worked, it healed faster.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Rest, bone broth and a little extra D3 helped my elbow bursitis heal in 3 months. Mine was trauma-related (banged it in the shower.)

I would take all added stress away and drop the farmer's walk for now.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wugang View Post
    Would you also ice a bronchitis? Why would people with arthritis feel better in warmer climate?

As far as i know the heat is part of the process of inflammation and in some injuries inflammation is the actual healing process. I doubt that surpressing this natural process with icing it is helping much. When i was still playing basketball our coach or the physician would take out their ice spray. Wow, it feels cold, numb and really stiff but it doesn't hurt. When i would have similiar injuries when i was in china i would take some ice an hold it to the area. They thought i was crazy. They would tell me to keep it warm, especially in winter. And it worked, it healed faster.
    Alternating between ice and moist heat usually works for me. The ice acts as an anesthetic, to some degree, and the heat increases blood flow to encourage healing.