Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: death of a health researcher: seth roberts page

janagram is offline Senior Member

death of a health researcher: seth roberts

Primal Fuel
    Seth Roberts collapsed while hiking near his home in Berkeley. Tragic, as he was only 61, and a health researcher. The question is: Why? I hope there will be some clues to the cause of death as he often experimented on himself and would want us to know. Mark? Can you find out?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Maybe some of his experiments went a bit wrong then? I am doing some health experiments myself and so far I have reached the age of 51 and in very good health! Basically there are no guaranties whatsoever, maybe I'll draw my terminal breath tomorrow or the day after, maybe a car accident, struck by the lighting or a meteorite hits me in my head when doing morning cardio! There are no guaranties…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

janagram is offline Senior Member
    so true, and a point worth repeating: nothing…..will stop us from dying.
    But as he was experimenting with super high doses of flax oil….??? Again, that may have nothing to do with it.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    "What foods make my brain work best?" by Seth Roberts, PhD on Vimeo

The video is Seth speaking about his brain hacking experiments that led to him take something like four tablespoons of flax seed a day. I love how this guy's mind works, how beautifully he explains everything from beginning to end... You can really understand his thought process and how his mind dealt with these issues!

It's a shame this very same, logic driven process that brought him to the flaxseed thing may have actually contributed to his death.

Not to mention he had some amazing logic about how we can all stay thin and at a healthy "set-point" by drinking sugar water every day which I suppose he was probably doing too. I mean... If you're taking it purely for that purpose only, then his logic isn't so far off. But you have to consider the other aspects of the health equation too. *sigh*

I'd love to read the autopsy report. I'm sure Seth would want us to so we can learn from his death and his fine example.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Personally I would rather have gambled on taking fish oil instead - if I could get it fresh! Or eating oily fish, even better as I actually do almost every day! But beware; these fats are thinning the blood, so even if some of it is good and can promote health, taking A LOT of it may kill you, as most things that actually work…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Personally I would rather have gambled on taking fish oil instead - if I could get it fresh! Or eating oily fish, even better as I actually do almost every day! But beware; these fats are thinning the blood, so even if some of it is good and can promote health, taking A LOT of it may kill you, as most things that actually work…
    Flax goes rancid very easily and is highly inflammatory. It also isn't a very bioavailable source of omega 3 compared to d something like fish. Not taking an omega 3 supplement at all is better than using flax.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Neeleh is offline Senior Member
    As a newbie to the paleosphere, I have only recently started to approach Seth's work and found him to be a fascinating and especially unique individual. I did feel touched by his death as he seemed so young and health-focussed.

I would be grateful for anyone who has benefitted from Seth's research to share any benefit /insight from his work; as well as what his contribution to the paradigm might be.

For my part, he introduced me to f.lux and I found that small tweak to be a big help. Thanks. Sincerest sympathies to his friends, colleagues and family.
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Journal: Vibrant Life

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Markbt View Post
    Flax goes rancid very easily and is highly inflammatory. It also isn't a very bioavailable source of omega 3 compared to d something like fish. Not taking an omega 3 supplement at all is better than using flax.
    It's great for finishing furniture, though. Keep the rags outdoors afterwards so they don't burst into flames and burn down your house, the reaction is so exothermic.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I wonder why he died. It's easy to blame his flaxseed oil but I bet there was a completely unrelated cause.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I wonder why he died. It's easy to blame his flaxseed oil but I bet there was a completely unrelated cause.
    Over a lifetime something like that might make a difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast