Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mayness' 31 day July primal challenge! page

mayness is offline Senior Member

Mayness' 31 day July primal challenge!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've fallen into some bad habits, and I need to break out of them, so I'm going to challenge myself for the month of July. I've got a big scary exam on the 28th so I could easily go completely off course due to stress, and this should give me some extra structure and discipline to make sure that doesn't happen.

I've actually gained weight recently. =[ I now have over 20 pounds to lose. A lot of this is from me sneaking little "cheat" foods here and there, or eating a few bites of things when I'm not really hungry. My main goal is to be conscious of what I'm putting in my mouth at all times, and honest about it!

I'll post my starting weight tomorrow. Hoping I can lose a few pounds, but either way, I'm sure I'll feel better!

Here's my plan:
    Log my food every day
    --> Mostly because it keeps me honest
    --> I'm aiming for under 100g carbs and around 90g protein
    Take all my supplements daily
    --> 1 Multivitamin, up to 4,000IU D3, and 2 Fish oil capsules
    Eat only within a 6-hour eating window each day
    --> 4pm until 10pm
    --> The exception being July 4th weekend when I'll be out of town and need to be flexible
    Eat 90% primal
    --> No grains, legumes, sugar/honey/syrup, or vegetable oils when I can avoid them
    --> Dairy is OK but limited - cheese, cream, butter, sour cream
    --> Max 1 ounce of nuts and 1 serving of fruit per day
    --> No more splenda (bothers my stomach), but aspartame-sweetened soda or gum occasionally is ok
    Exercise regularly
    --> Lifting: 6 times a week (sounds like a lot but it's only ~20 mins each time and I like routine!)
    --> Cardio (walking, running, hiking, biking, dancing, etc): at least 2 hours a week
    --> Sprinting: once a week

Day 1:

Quite successful! I meant to update yesterday, but I was super busy.

I ate only from 5pm-11pm. No wheat, only sugar was a tablespoon (probably less) of catalina dressing on some leftover fish. I had some dairy: 1/2 ounce of cheese and 1 tbsp sour cream with dinner, and 4 tbsp heavy cream after for dessert. I did end up drinking 3 (THREE!!) diet sodas throughout the day, because I was suddenly slammed with a pile of exams to grade by this morning and I needed to keep my energy up somehow despite the low-carb flu. Only 1/2 ounce nuts and no fruit. I've decided I'm gonna stop buying the nuts for now - they're expensive and probably not doing me any favors in terms of weight loss.

My numbers for yesterday (via DailyBurn)
    Carbs: 37.1 (15%)
    Fat: 66.4 (61%)
    Protein: 59.9 (24%)
    Total calories: 950

Not bad. 15% is a little high for carbs, but I probably overestimated some of the veggies, and the number of grams is fine. It's certainly low on calories overall, but I'm sure I'll be all over the place until I get used to eating less frequently.

No exercise yesterday, due to the whole exam grading thing. I did get a little extra walking in during the day (had to run a few errands on campus) so that's good.

Took my supplements, although only 1 fish oil since I ate actual fish.

Day 2:

Got to bed at 11pm last night (about 6.5 hours sleep), but somehow I was still exhausted this morning. I blame 3 things: low carb flu, my period, and being incredibly stressed and busy yesterday. And THAT'S why I drank the diet soda this morning.

I actually wasn't hungry when I woke up, which is really strange for me. I didn't get hungry until about 8:45 (3 hours later!). Maybe that will keep going back farther and farther. That would be nice. Because right now I'm REALLY FREAKING HUNGRY most of the time during the day, until about 3 or 4pm when it goes away but I start to get jittery and anxious.

Tonight I will definitely lift, and maybe sprint, too. And I'm making a sausage and kale quiche for dinner.

Looks like we'll be gone from Saturday evening to Monday afternoon/evening, visiting with family and whatnot. That will include at least one fast food meal on the road, one cookout, one breakfast or lunch with folks who only eat total junk, and one trip to Olive Garden (blech). So, yeah, this should be fun. =P

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    Hang in there over the weekend, but not at the expense of having a good time! I came *very* close to joining you on this challenge, but just couldn't quite get there; still considering some sort of challenge *after* the holiday weekend.

Good advice, Schadow. I asked my mom what she'd be serving at her cookout, and she said there would be steak and grilled veggies, so I'm not worried about that one. =]

I forgot to mention earlier that I weighed 137 today. Down a pound (of wheat/sugar bloat) from yesterday.

Feeling really weak from the new eating schedule and lower carbs, so I didn't exercise. I ate some leftovers when I got home, then cooked a super dinner: a quiche containing kale, sausage, and cheddar cheese. I've been mixing different things with the eggs lately in my quiche experiments - cream, milk, butter, ricotta cheese - to see what texture I like best. Well, tonight I found a new winner so far - sour cream! I used 1/2 cup sour cream for 6 medium eggs, and that seemed about right. Here's a tiny picture of it - I resized it a little too small, heh.

I'm gonna eat some frozen coconut milk later for "dessert."

It's time to watch yesterday's episode of Futurama... I'll post my #s later!

---

Ok, I'm back.

Carbs: 27.0g (11%)
    Protein: 58.4g (24%)
    Fat: 69.3g (65%)
    Total calories: 944

*Edited again because I ended up eating some beef jerky. I'm assuming I'll be hungrier once I start exercising again, but those numbers are fine as they are.
    Last edited by mayness; 07-03-2010 at 03:48 AM.

Day 3:

I hope to update once more today, but I'm leaving at 4pm to pick my husband up from work and then we're taking off for the weekend, so who knows?

Weight: 135.4

My thoughts about this weekend:

This will be my first Saturday not eating during the day, which is challenge #1, but looks tiny compared to the rest of the weekend. =P I'll get some coffee after I drop the husband off at work, and some tea at the farmer's market, and that should keep my mouth entertained.

Tonight we're stopping by my FIL's house, where there will probably be food, but just in case we're gonna get some fast food on the way. I chose Wendy's (over Taco Bell or Burger King) - my plan is to get a side salad (or two), which are usually decent, and a burger of some sort, and eat the burger on the salad. Then I can still eat something at FIL's if he has anything "legal," but even if he doesn't, at least it's not a 40 hour fast (I'm NOT ready for that).

We're staying at SIL's house tonight, so I'm guessing they'll want to go to breakfast or lunch Sunday. I'm unsure how I'll handle that - just coffee? A tiny meal? Or eat a normal sized meal because you can't win them all? Hmm.

Sunday evening is a BBQ at my mom's, which will be easy - steak and veggies! My grandparents will have forgotten that I don't eat grains and will be incredibly confused, but supportive once I explain it yet again. (They're not THAT old, they just... don't pay attention.) If there's rum or vodka I'll have a drink or two (with diet coke). But no dessert!

This one isn't a sure thing, but hubby's best friend (and cousin) is turning 30 on Monday and he always plans a meal at Olive Garden for his birthday. He'll probably try to do it while we're in town. I glanced at the menu online, and there's some sort of grilled chicken and beef skewers that look acceptable.

Cheats so far:
    Commercial Italian dressing yesterday afternoon
    3 marshmallows and 3 chocolate squares by the campfire last night
    Marshmallow-containing "fruit dip" this morning
    Potatoes this morning (not so bad)
    Something like 4 cans of diet pepsi - so far =P

(At least no grains or beans!)

Today I'll be eating 3 meals. I'll get back to normal tomorrow.

Spent lots of time in the sun playing with puppies, good for stress relief & vit D levels.

Day 5 was a big mess.

Breakfast was good - 1.5 slices bacon, 2 eggs, leftover salad from the night before.
    Lunch... I caved and had two tacos.
    Dinner - I thought I'd be home well before dinner. No such luck. I had a slice of pizza, some salad, and then said "screw it" and ate a brownie and ice cream for dessert.

I weighed 136.8 this morning. Not nearly as bad as I expected!!

I knew I'd be low on energy after such a high-sugar day, especially after getting home and to bed really late. So this morning I ate some butter and cream. 400 calories, 99% fat. I really think it helped, so I don't feel too bad about "cheating" on my fasting. Back on the horse tomorrow.

I'm testing out PureVia (erythritol and stevia) in my coffee to see if that bothers my stomach like splenda does. So far, so good, after one packet. I just can't drink black coffee all the time. Yet.

Sorry for being MIA, I've been trying to focus on writing for my exam. Yet somehow I have time for a half hour of facebook here and there. =P

Day 6:

Weight: 136.8

Carbs: 84.7g (21%)
    Protein: 44.6g (11%)
    Fat: 119.5g (67%)
    Total calories: 1511

Things I did wrong: No exercise, "breakfast" of fat that I mentioned, 2 cups of blueberries (can we say BINGE?), little bit of salad dressing with sugars and veggie oils and whatever else in it, too many calories, too little protein.

Things I did right: took my supplements, ate a ton of veggies, stuck to the eating window.

Day 7:

Weight: 136.2

I cooked some pork spareribs in the oven with SoG's BBQ sauce and it was fantastic! There's still over half a rack left in the fridge that I plan to snack on over the next few days.

Carbs: 68.2g (21%)
    Protein: 59.3g (18%)
    Fat: 88.2g (61%)
    Total calories: 1306

Things I did wrong: cake and ice cream ("it's only once a month!" dkfjsldkjfsld), a tablespoon of honey after dinner, about a 7 hour eating window, didn't get to bed nearly early enough, still not enough protein (maybe I'm underestimating how many ribs I ate.. it was a ton!).

Things I did right: supplements, listened to my body while exercising (did weights and then some fun kickboxing stuff), calories and carbs are reasonable.

Day 8:

Weight: 136.2

I'm really grumpy today. I usually have some mood issues the week after my period (though it's usually anxiety) and I think I'm still having some carb withdrawal. I've got nooo energy right now... some of that could be that I didn't get much sleep. Basically it's all adding up against me. I'm not really feeling HUNGRY but I know that eating would make me feel better and that's making it hard to keep fasting. But then I also feel fat and lazy and gross today so I don't wanna eat at all. =[ Grumble grumble, whine whine.

My husband's friend/cousin, R, came to visit Friday, so I cheated a bit on food, up until last night really. And I've been STRESSED and taking it out on spoonfuls of honey. Seriously bad stuff going on that completely goes against my challenge goals. BUT I think it's better than it would be if I didn't have the challenge in the back of my mind. And at least I've been keeping up with my weight lifting, although not so much with the cardio.

I managed to stick to my IF rules today, so right now I'm SO HUNGRY.

R will be here until Thursday I think, but I'm letting him and DH fend for themselves and I'm making my own food. I spent $10 on 12 ounces of awesome local shiitakes (ordered before I knew R was coming) so I'll probably be eating those over the next couple days, as well as trying to use up as much of the CSA awesomeness as possible. I bought ranch dressing by accident (meant to buy blue cheese - 20% and all =] ) so tonight I'm coming up with a recipe to use some of it in a coleslaw with the tiny cabbage I got from my CSA. If it turns out well I'll post it on recipezaar and link it, but it won't be primal, obviously.

I'm having cheese and jerky for a pre-workout snack. Tonight's dinner is a chicken thigh (I crock-potted 5 lbs of them to have meat for future meals) with mushroom cream sauce (mushrooms, onions, cream, spices), and a salad because OMG I've got a lot of greens.

The proposal I need to write for Big Scary Exam is almost done. Like, really really close. Only a tiny bit more actual writing, then a bunch of editing. I was hoping to have a decent first draft done by tomorrow, but now it looks like I've got another quiz to grade. *sigh* I'm gonna use a bunch of this grading money to buy new pots and pans though - I'd like to stop eating nonstick surface flakes as I probably have been, I've just been too poor and/or cheap to actually pay for cookware until now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast