Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ellie's Journey page

Ellesbells is offline Senior Member

Ellie's Journey

Primal Fuel
    Hi I am Ellie,
    I am 5 days into my paleo journey.

Some stuff about me:
    I am 44 years old. Overweight and well, not the healthiest.
    I grew up with a pretty bad diet. A picky eater, I did not like veggies and ate very little for fruit. I remember school lunches consisting of a can of soda, a jam sandwich on white bread and a bag of Tayto (chips).
    I cant blame my parents too much - they didn't know better and like I said, I was picky.

It's not really surprising that I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at age 15.
    I wont go into my battle with RA too much at this point but suffice to say I do believe its a symptom of my diet more than anything else.

I stumbled across MDA a few weeks ago. I tried juicing last year and had some success and was considering going back to it but just couldn't get motivated. I definitely felt better when juicing, my skin glowed and my RA wasn't too bad. On the down side it was a pain in the ass!!! I believe there is a reason for everything and here is obviously where I need to be right now.

I have been (mostly) gluten free for a few years and eat as organic as I can. Bread gives me horrible heartburn so it was a case of having to give it up (though I admit I cheated on occasion and would pay for it, I could eat pasta though so I think it was more likely yeast than gluten that I had a problem with). Going paleo isn't too much of a stretch from there and it makes sense to me. I have done a ton of research over the years, much of it leading me in this direction.

I love what I have read on this website so far. I have read some of the success stories and journals and they are very inspiring.

I should mention I quit my job as an IT manager last year. It was a drastic move but I knew I needed to make major changes in my life to improve my health and stress was first on my list. I don't regret it(though I do miss the pay check!), I have a very supportive spouse who is working 80 hrs a week to make ends meet. I have been doing a little bit here and there. I started up a small business (which I am sure I won't but help get into later) - it hasn't got off to a great start,but I am still optimistic as its something I really want to do and I don't give up easily! But more about that later.

So here I am. Totally embarrassed to write down my weight but here goes anyway.
    204 lbs (blush, I hope no one I know reads this!!)- the heaviest I have ever been in my life bar pregnancy and I wasn't much more then!

I had my husband put away the weighing scales so I wouldn't obsess (which I totally would) so I will only weigh in weekly. Before he hid them from me yesterday I was already down 3 lbs so there is hope!! It would be great just to fit into last years summer clothes which are too tight on me today.

My experience so far....
    I do bacon and egg white (I dont like the yolk, I wish I did) for breakfast most mornings. I know I will need to vary it up a bit but for now its ok. I am surprised how much energy it gives me. Though I have generally been avoiding dairy I had a smoothie this morning with organic yogurt, organic milk, strawberries, banana and raw honey. It was tasty but not satisfying enough so made some bacon and eggs again and feel so much better. I am on the fence with dairy, I am not sure it is best for me - I can live without milk but I do like butter

Avoiding grains isn't too hard so far. One of my fav meals is a salad with grilled chicken with olive oil and red wine vinegar. I like meat and thankfully like most vegetables now so dinners are easy enough. I make soup from scratch too which is yummy. I am not a big fruit person though - apples are ok but besides that I can take it or leave it.

Though I did not make a conscious decision to do it I have stopped drinking soda, opting instead for water, a glass of wine in the evening or a little coconut water which I recently discovered is quite tasty though expensive! still I can afford a carton or two a week. A lot cheaper than hospital bills!
    Snacks are a little tricky as I cant eat most nuts (inflames my RA). I suspect leaky gut is a big factor in this and hoping this will change over time but for now no nuts except for peanuts and I think coconut is OK. So if I need a snack I will have some meat if I have any cooked, a carrot stick or a handful of peanuts. So far though I am pretty satisfied after a meal of meat and veggies and haven't really felt too many hunger pangs.

I am eating potatoes. I know they can be inflammatory for some people but I have never had a problem with them. I should note that I was RA free for about 20 years, spuds and all. I am making sure to peel them and I am not going crazy with them but I have always felt that they are a complete food and have gotten a bad rap for poor reasons. I look at my dad who has eaten them, every day of his life (no kidding), he is healthy and strong so to me they can't be that bad Cave men may not have eaten them but they are not a process food or grain either so I am allowing them.

I do have a chocolate problem. I like it way too much. I have cut it back to about 6 squares a day. Its milk chocolate though...I am not crazy about dark. I am not going to beat myself up about it. Maybe I can get to a place where I can give it up for switch to dark but when the choco craving hits it is what it is for now.

I know I am not going to do everything perfect but its a vast improvement on the way I was eating so its got to be good!

Oh one other thing.. I was on prednisone, methotrexate and orencia for RA. I stopped the meth and orencia a few weeks ago as I had a cold. I am not going back on them!!!! I have to wean of pred slowly but I want to be med free in 6 months. They are one of the reasons I am over weight - I gained 30lbs in 3 months last year due to humira - never again and I am genuinely terrified what these poisons are doing to my body.

Well I started this journal for me, but I love to get feed back and help others along the way if I can too. I you have taken the time to read all this I appreciate it.

Wishing you all health and happiness,
    Ellie

Stats:

SW: 4/26/14 : 204.6
    CW: 5/1/14 : 201.8
    Height 5' 7.5"

Goals: Short term: 165
    Long term: 145 (is that even possible?)
    Get rid of RA

Mini goal: fit into my summer clothes!
    Last edited by Ellesbells; 05-11-2014 at 07:31 AM.

bullymama is offline Senior Member
    Hi Ellie and welcome!

I wish you all the best as you continue with the primal/paleo way of life. I'm fairly new myself...going on month 2 now, and am still learning quite a lot.
    Looking forward to reading on your progress!

Thanks for the welcome Bully! nice to meet you and good luck to you too!

I made pork chops with roasted cauliflower, onions and baked sweet potato fries for dinner. yum yum
    First time making sweet potato fries in the oven - they were quite delicious and filling.
    I like this way of eating. I dont feel deprived in the least!
    Kicking back with a glass of wine and relaxing .... life is good

He may have hidden the scales but I still have a measuring tape LOL!
    I have lost three inches off my belly in 6 days - wow. I love it. I am sure a lot of it is bloating too but I am looking forward to weighing in tomorrow to see how I have done. woohooo exciting!

Its not all about weight loss but I can't help but get excited about it as I've always had a hard time losing weight and I really want to look good again!

Well its a beautiful day...I am off for a walk.
    Wishing you health and happiness!

Ellie

---

SW:204.6 • CW:201.8 • GW:165 Height 5' 7.5"
    Long term Goal: 145 (is that even possible?) • Get rid of RA •*Mini goal: fit into my summer clothes!

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Ellie! Good Luck with Primal!
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Thanks Pebbles - WTG on your weight loss!!

bullymama is offline Senior Member
    Yay for you on the inches lost, Ellie!

Your dinner menu could've easily been mine! I had pork chops last night and I almost always have roasted cauliflower on hand too but I already ate it all earlier this week.

I love sweet potato fries; usually I just microwave the sweet potato and eat it with some CO which tastes good too but i think baking it in the oven will add some nice flavor.

You're doing great!

Cool What a beautiful day!

So I went for a bike ride instead. Got to love spring in New England. 60 degrees, the sun is shining, a gentle breeze blowing...actually it felt more like a full blown gale cycling back against it. Remind me next time to set off into the wind so the ride home is easier!! Still I made it 6 miles. Not bad.

But where did I get all this energy? I wan't hungry this morning so I just had a couple of sausages..I think they have some grain in them but not much and they are a little treat from my home country so I let it slide. I counted the carbs I ate yesterday - not very many at all. wow. I am thinking a nice grilled chicken salad for lunch with lotsa olive oil and red wine vinegar. yum.

So, back to the bike.... I picked this old bike a few weeks ago. It doesn't look the prettiest but the thing is sweeet. Cruises like you wouldn't believe. They knew how to make things 40 years ago! Well, they made me, so it stands to reason Its a mid color blue with full fenders. A bit of rust here and there but the tires were new, the wheels in good shape and it seemed to have been looked after or at least serviced somewhat lately. Not bad for $15! I stuck a basket on the front and as dh says ...look out for the wicked witch of the east!!

Well have a good day everyone!

Ellie

SW:204.6 • CW:201.8 • GW:165 Height 5' 7.5"
    Long term Goal: 145 (is that even possible?) • Get rid of RA •Mini goal: fit into my summer clothes!

ewww...just looked at the ingredients on my sausages. Not good. Its a shame cause they really are yummy. I will share what I have left (3 packets) but wont buy them again. Bye Bye Irish Sausages. I love you but you are not good for me!

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast