Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (Another) reason to cook your vegetables? page

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member

(Another) reason to cook your vegetables?

Primal Fuel
    I just stumbled across this article: http://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/he...service=mobile

Basic grammar violations aside, I always hear people say that cooking destroys antioxidants. We already know it improves the digestibility of tough veg and neutralizes several toxins, but I thought the general rule was still lightly if at all? This article seems to imply that cooking to tenderness is actually preferable from a nutrient standpoint, which is good for me as I think that's best from a taste standpoint as well.

Energy! is offline Senior Member
    I agree on the taste...hate paying top dollar in restaurants for a side of almost raw broccoli. Some veggies I like at any state from raw to mushy like bell peppers. Mix it up, then you'll get all the bennies eventually, right?

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Well, there's also the possibility that anti-ox's aren't really all that useful anyways (from food).

M.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RittenRemedy View Post
    Basic grammar violations aside, I always hear people say that cooking destroys antioxidants.
    The most important (known) antioxidants are literally the pigments in the plant so unless the cooking makes the beet less purple or tomato less red, it's still there.

IMO "all of the above" is best. Each vegetable might have a different ideal preparation--mostly corresponding to familiar cuisine (good info in Nourishing Traditions). I eat radishes and cucumbers raw because they're tasty, as I do well-done artichoke or collards. From a toxin standpoint rotating the species is the important part.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

iceyed is offline Member
    I have no doubt that raw vegetables feed your gut microbiome more then thoroughly cooked veggies. I know this because one makes me fart like crazy and the other doesn't; it does not take a genius to figure which one causes which. I do however believe that the perfect marriage of both styles is minimal steaming. At least imo this way of preparation allows the veggies to soften up a little bit without really causing too much oxidative stress and reducing antioxidant levels dramatically.

Nellodee is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the link RR! This nutrition stuff is so complicated hehe.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    It's well known that roasting coffee beans increases the concentration of antioxidants in them.

But even if cooking them DOES reduce antioxidants, breaking down cell walls, helping make the plant more digestible, is never a bad thing. If we lose overall, we increase what we actually absorb.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Meh. I generally wouldn't eat veggies for nutrition anyway (just for taste), because of the below factors. However, the "broken down cell wall" argument is not useful when referring to green smoothies made with high-speed blenders/juicers that break down cell walls anyway. TL;DR...eat the veggies however you want because they're more or less useless for micro nutrients.

Plants are generally useless for most of the necessary MICRO nutrients we need. Maybe for fiber/RS/carbs (and obviously I don't underestimate the power of CARBZ), but aside from that...eat high quality dairy, meat, eggs, seafood, liver...and you're set micro nutrients-wise. Veggies may also be helpful for volumetric eating (you feel like you're eating a lot but you're really eating less) in terms of dieting.

Some examples...Note I'm only going to cite some science journals that aren't related to any promotion of a way of diet (be it paleo, peat, vegetarian )

Beta-carotene: Human body doesn't efficiently convert this into useful-to-human forms. (Also, according to Peat, this build-up of B-Carotene is supposedly very damaging when someone is hypothyroid). You might turn orange and you are STILL not OD-ing on Vitamin A for a good reason. The conversion from B-carotene to Vit A is painfully inefficient. The Absorption of Beta-Carotene and Its Conversion into Vitamin A

Calcium/Iron: eating X grams of a mineral doesn't equate to absorbing X grams of a mineral. Also, plant forms of minerals are generally less "useful" to human beings than animal forms of minerals, because the minerals are typically found in a different oxidation state and bound to a vastly different protein in plants vs in animals. We absorb and can use WAY more minerals from animals than from plants.

Choices for achieving adequate dietary calcium with a vegetarian diet (Calcium absorption efficiency table- you have to eat an ABSURD amount of calcium-rich veggies to equate to 1 serving of milk)
    factors affecting absorbing iron - General Practice Notebook (the various factors of iron absorption in human beings, suggesting eating plants for iron, all things considered, is extremely futile...since the efficiency in absorption is SO LOW for non heme iron).

(Tangent: Also, the calcium study cited above actually explains The China Study a lot, since in that study the Chinese veggies had way more bioavailable calcium than the American counterparts...and the main "argument" for the China Study is that the Chinese don't drink that much milk and yet their rates of osteoporosis is much lower. Hence, vegans conclude...not drinking milk is better than drinking milk. They didn't account for the higher bioavailable calcium in Chinese veggies at all. )
    Last edited by TQP; 05-01-2014 at 06:21 PM.

gdot is online now Senior Member
    Meh,

I say berries, fruits and veggies are definitely on the must eat multiple servings a day category. Regardless of all the discussion. As many raw as you prefer.

Grok ate them - even if it was just for the H20 when out on the hunt. And Grok's ancestors definitely arose from a climate that provided fresh produce all year around.

There simply isn't any way possible that we are not in need of them every day for vibrant health.

Eat them raw, eat them cooked, eat them blended, grilled, baked, boiled, fermented, etc. etc. etc.

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by gdot View Post
    Meh,

I say berries, fruits and veggies are definitely on the must eat multiple servings a day category. Regardless of all the discussion. As many raw as you prefer.

Grok ate them - even if it was just for the H20 when out on the hunt. And Grok's ancestors definitely arose from a climate that provided fresh produce all year around.

There simply isn't any way possible that we are not in need of them every day for vibrant health.

Eat them raw, eat them cooked, eat them blended, grilled, baked, boiled, fermented, etc. etc. etc.
    I eat tons of fruits for carbs. 300-400g of carbs from them daily right now. I just don't think the focus on veggies should be about micro nutrients.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast