Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Intermittent Fasting opinion page

  1. #1
    primalmedic413's Avatar
    primalmedic413 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    27

    Intermittent Fasting opinion

    Shop Now
    I've been pondering intermittent fasting for a while now. Eating a Primal/Paleo/LC approach for the last 16 months, I've noticed that skipping a meal isn't that big of a deal for me. So after doing some research, including reading Ori Hoffmekler's book "The Warrior Diet," I decided to start daily fasting and eating within about a 5-6 hour window. Generally, I eat from about 4pm to 10pm. I eat until I'm satisfied, and I even will have a little sugar in that window (ie- a cup of yogurt, a scoop of ice cream, nothing too extreme). For the most part, I feel really good. Definitely energetic and mentally alert during the day, with no hunger at all. Occasionally I have a light lunch if I'm hungry, typically a salad.

    So here is my question- if I start my day with one cup of coffee with heavy cream (no sugar or sweetner), and a scoop of coconut oil, is that considered breaking the fast? For the most part I don't eat food between 10pm and about 4pm the next day, but I will have the coffee and coconut oil to start the day. It seems that that combo promotes ketogenesis and fatty acid utilization, but doesn't affect insulin release and flip the cortisol switch.

    Thoughts? Experiences? Suggestions?

  2. #2
    Nourished's Avatar
    Nourished is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    115
    Yes, it is breaking the fast because you're feeding yourself calories in the form of fat. That said, many people do what you do and experience positive results. I'd suggest going by how you feel (which seems pretty good) rather than by the book if you have a choice between the two.
    My food philosophy is whole foods, simply and traditionally prepared. Food should honor your taste, health, and the environment.

  3. #3
    Timthetaco's Avatar
    Timthetaco Guest
    Not sure what the cortisol switch is, but eating anything counts as breaking a fast. But I think your real question is whether it will turn off fat burning. Well, if you don't eat most of the time and then eat mostly fat when you're not fasting, you're mostly oxidizing fatty acids no matter what. Your body stores/oxidizes the food you eat and returns to oxidizing its stored fuel once it's complete.

  4. #4
    iceyed's Avatar
    iceyed is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    34
    I was actually wondering exactly the same. But my guess is that if you are already fasting to increase fuel partitioning towards fat oxidation which is sort of the main point of IF and we know that keto-adaptation 101 says eat a lot of fat to get into ketosis faster. Taking those two scientific facts together must mean that consuming copious fat while fasting does not defeat the purpose of doing IF?

    And yet I still wonder though whether the neurological benefits and mitochondrial repair could be solely attributed to prolonged calorie restriction, which of course has it's own range of wonderful metabolic rewards? Anyone with any definitive insight in this matter?

  5. #5
    primalmedic413's Avatar
    primalmedic413 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    27
    I thought I had heard somewhere, possibly in a podcast with John Keifer, that cortisol can assist in breaking down fatty acids, but when insulin is released will assist in storing those fatty acids? Something to do with cortisol assisting in fuel utilization vs storage. I'm no biochemist and am probably screwing something up somewhere here.

  6. #6
    gdot's Avatar
    gdot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmedic413 View Post
    I've been pondering intermittent fasting for a while now. Eating a Primal/Paleo/LC approach for the last 16 months, I've noticed that skipping a meal isn't that big of a deal for me. So after doing some research, including reading Ori Hoffmekler's book "The Warrior Diet," I decided to start daily fasting and eating within about a 5-6 hour window. Generally, I eat from about 4pm to 10pm. I eat until I'm satisfied, and I even will have a little sugar in that window (ie- a cup of yogurt, a scoop of ice cream, nothing too extreme). For the most part, I feel really good. Definitely energetic and mentally alert during the day, with no hunger at all. Occasionally I have a light lunch if I'm hungry, typically a salad.

    So here is my question- if I start my day with one cup of coffee with heavy cream (no sugar or sweetner), and a scoop of coconut oil, is that considered breaking the fast? For the most part I don't eat food between 10pm and about 4pm the next day, but I will have the coffee and coconut oil to start the day. It seems that that combo promotes ketogenesis and fatty acid utilization, but doesn't affect insulin release and flip the cortisol switch.

    Thoughts? Experiences? Suggestions?
    A relatively small amount of pure fat should not trigger an insulin response. Nor would it likely produce any fat storage. A tablespoon of pure fat is what 100 or so calories? Your body will burn through that before lunch time.

    It you take in a relatively large amount of fat at a time - your body can, and will, shuttle the excess off to storage - but it's all about quantity of intake and speed of digestion vs. caloric need.

  7. #7
    kathleen's Avatar
    kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Bend, WA
    Posts
    598
    I have done IF and included drinking coffee in the morning. It worked for me.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

    Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

    26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

  8. #8
    counterpuncher's Avatar
    counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    N.J.
    Posts
    285
    In Ori's book, he recommends small servings of protein, or a piece of fruit in the undereating phase of his diet, and doing it that way really helps to take the edge off.
    Insulin spike is minimal.
    After an adjustment phase of two to three weeks, you'll be cruising.
    Read the book again. there's a lot of info in it, and it's easy to miss key points when you've read it only once.

  9. #9
    primalmedic413's Avatar
    primalmedic413 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    In Ori's book, he recommends small servings of protein, or a piece of fruit in the undereating phase of his diet, and doing it that way really helps to take the edge off.
    Insulin spike is minimal.
    After an adjustment phase of two to three weeks, you'll be cruising.
    Read the book again. there's a lot of info in it, and it's easy to miss key points when you've read it only once.
    The thing is, if I have the coffee with heavy cream and a scoop of coconut oil in the morning, I have no edge to take off the rest of the day. I've gone till as late as 8pm before eating my first meal of the day, and not even been really hungry then. I guess like anything in life, its all about finding your individual sweet spot.

  10. #10
    counterpuncher's Avatar
    counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    N.J.
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmedic413 View Post
    I guess like anything in life, its all about finding your individual sweet spot.
    True.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •