Thread: Plantains baked with bacon and cheese page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

Plantains baked with bacon and cheese

Primal Fuel
    For lunch today I made this

Baked Plantains with Bacon and Cheese (Platanos Asados con Tocineta y Queso) | My Colombian Recipes

The idea was lovely, the smell was gorgeous - but it was too dry for words! I think that the plantains must have not been ripe enough? Would I be better to fry the whole plantains in oil, instead of baking them in the oven, for the first cook? I want them to be luscious, not cardboardy!

lotusberries is offline Senior Member
    I've had that recipe on my list of things to make for a while now, but haven't gotten around to actually making it since I never have bacon in the house, so I can't say why it came out dry. How ripe were the plantains? I think I would use very ripe ones, black or almost black, just for moisture. And they'd have more flavour. You could also totally fry them for the first part of the recipe, it might work a lot better than baking them.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I haven't tried that exact recipe but plantains are naturally lower in water (sort of like chestnuts). Recipes that mash or blend them better integrate the moisture. With whole ones the goal is to caramelize but keep the interior temp low enough it doesn't dry out (like a potato it goes raw rock -> soft -> overcooked rock).

Grilling split halves is also a good lesson on cooking time.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I suppose I could boil them or steam them for the first step equally well? I have fried green plantains and they have been beautifully soft and moist, so I am sure that frying the ripe ones would work. But boiling might be even better, judging from this

Patacones or tostones - Thick fried green plantains - Latin Recipes

where she recommends boiling for the first step to make tostones.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I suppose I could boil them or steam them for the first step equally well?
    Ya, that looks sensible (I dislike the oil consumed and cleanup of typical tostones). The steaming time will vary with the size you cut so maybe do periodic poke tests.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

K-Tel Records is offline Senior Member
    Mmmm...this looks awesome, pinning so I can use later. In her first paragraph, she does say that very ripe plantains are needed. That is yellow with black streaks, or almost black.