Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chronic headache since starting resistant starch? page 2

Neeleh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I can't tolerate white potatoes, they give me a headache the following day. Maybe subbing a different starch would help?
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Journal: Vibrant Life

Energy! is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatgoose View Post
    My sleep greatly improved as well but the RS made my night time bruxism/teeth grinding so bad it left me with monster headaches. I had to stop.
    What was the source and quantity of RS you were using? There are several options so switching it out or taking a smaller amount could solve the problem. I use mung bean starch (MBS) for about half of my non-food RS (the rest is potato starch.) I also eat cooked/cooled potatoes, c/c rice, cooked/frozen black beans, etc.

Another idea is to take magnesium before bed, because it relaxes muscles.

You could try non-RS prebiotic fibers like konjac (e.g. shiritaki noodles) that will still feed the gut bugs. I'm not sure if you can totally substitute non-RS fibers and get the same benefits, though.

I would love to know how RS would affect muscle tension. Since starting RS a few weeks ago, I've noticed a welcome tension in my abs...it's like I want to sit bolt upright in my desk chair and am "aware" of my abs when walking, bending, etc. It may be unrelated but though my weight remains about the same, my waist has shrunk 2 inches.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    This is weird only because I've been nursing a dull ache on the right side of my head for about a week now. Probably unrelated, but I'll have to keep tabs on this thread anyway...

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Heliotrope is offline Member
    I am a tooth grinder and occasional tongue biter while asleep. The tongue biting can produce quite painful and slow-to-heal wounds. I've never pegged it to starch or anything else, but I would love to find out if there is a cause. I have read posts by people who like starch and those who like sugar, but I've never felt that either was better for me. I think I'll take a week for each and see if I can pin anything down.

fatgoose is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy! View Post
    What was the source and quantity of RS you were using? There are several options so switching it out or taking a smaller amount could solve the problem. I use mung bean starch (MBS) for about half of my non-food RS (the rest is potato starch.) I also eat cooked/cooled potatoes, c/c rice, cooked/frozen black beans, etc.

Another idea is to take magnesium before bed, because it relaxes muscles.

You could try non-RS prebiotic fibers like konjac (e.g. shiritaki noodles) that will still feed the gut bugs. I'm not sure if you can totally substitute non-RS fibers and get the same benefits, though.

I would love to know how RS would affect muscle tension. Since starting RS a few weeks ago, I've noticed a welcome tension in my abs...it's like I want to sit bolt upright in my desk chair and am "aware" of my abs when walking, bending, etc. It may be unrelated but though my weight remains about the same, my waist has shrunk 2 inches.
    Thanks for all your input. I was taking 2 heaping soup spoonfuls of potato starch at night at the same time I was taking Natural Calm (Magnesium supplement). Someone suggested if could be a nightshade sensitivity causing all the grinding I've yet to try anything else and see if it returns. Green bananas don't seem to have the same effect. Fascinating how much the gut effects everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Mamame is offline Senior Member
    Well, I haven't noticed an improvement on the headaches since stopping resistant starches. My sleep has gone to hell though...

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

Even with magnesium?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've read on the web elsewhere that taking a soil based probiotic has helped get rid of the headaches. I ordered some to help with my headaches but by the time they arrived they were already starting to disappear but I started the probiotics and haven't had a headache since.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12