Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb 'body' flu page

padawan is offline Junior Member

Carb 'body' flu

Primal Fuel
    Hello fine folk of this forum,

I'm pretty new to all of this, having given up bread at the beginning of March, and cutting out other grains and processed foods, as well most sugars since then. I used to eat quite a bit of carbs. I'm pretty much doing 80% - 20% at this point, it's been nearly two months.

I don't feel a mental cognitive carb fog, but my skin is dull, I've experienced two colds (one being the worst I can remember), and other multiple immune outbreaks. My skin is breaking out, which I haven't experienced like this in over a year. Energy has evened out a lot, which is awesome as I was sensitive to sugar swings, though I still feel tired often.

Without my usual carb crutch I find stresses at work are becoming a bit harder to deal with, despite doing yoga and gentle exercise to relax myself. Also without massive quantities of fibre my digestive system is processing things different.. and not for the better.

Has anyone else has experienced this? Maybe this is some sort of withdraw, or shock to my system that I will eventually get used to and feel as good as you guys do.

Thank you so much! I hope I can get over this hump.
    Last edited by padawan; 04-29-2014 at 08:45 PM. Reason: added ideas

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Low carb isn't for everyone
    Try posting what a usual day looks like food wise and maybe someone will be able to suggest something

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Thanks Hannakb, if it helps anyone a basic breakdown of my food day:

Breakfast smoothie
    - half banana, blueberries, raspberries, spinach, cinnamon, vegan protein powder.
    A couple spoonfuls of greek yogurt and a carrot

Lunch -
    another smoothie with or without protein, added carrots if at work, if on day off will make nori - roast beef - avocado - cucumber - sprouts 'sushi' rolls

dinner -
    a cut of steak or fish, steamed vegetables.
    or roasted vegetables and roasted chicken
    Or greek salad with chicken and bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, shallots, etc

I've been snacking on beef jerky, carrots, fruit and the like, and drink herbal tea in the evening.

I don't eat nuts or eggs often as they don't agree with me well. A few times here and there is okay but not all the time.

Is it possible your not getting enough calories?
    My internet s down so I can't check.

Also are your carrots cooked or raw? Just thinking how that would effect texture, I've never thought to put carrots in a smoothie

Where could I go to input those calories in?
    I know it may sound stupid, but I wouldn't have expected not enough calories to really make me feel like this. You could very well be right..

All my carrots are raw, unless I roast them for dinner. They're ever so slightly sweet in smoothies. Have to have a good blender to chop them fine enough, or a "chop" blade and then a lower, mixing blade can help too.

My fitness pal is a free app

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest you add cooked and cooled potatoes or rice to your main meal in the evening, something like 1/2 lb. Roast or boil potatoes, let them cool down, put in the fridge for 12h at least, eat them either cold or reheated (stir-fry). You will feed your gut bacteria which in return will keep you warm and regulate your blood glucose, boost your immune system, etc. Never mind the carb content of white rice (have it parboiled, more nutritious) or potatoes when cooked and cooled that way. For all the potatoes and rice you add, dial back the same amount of fat calories.

Thanks FrenchFry. Is there a reason to use potatoes or rice? Versus say any sort of leftover.

Neeleh is offline Senior Member
    I have experience carb/paleo flu and it totally wiped me out for... um a week or two? Had to heavily curtail my fitness/movement schedule, it was pretty frightening! Persisted with this eating arrangement and symptoms did release. Its on my journal - link below.

As regards digestive changes, I can relate to that too And having transitioned from starch based this has been quite noticeable. I dont feel equipped to offer a solution, except to say, do as you are doing, ask questions and keep researching.

Good luck!
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Journal: Vibrant Life

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you Neeleh. Your story helps me, knowing I'm not the only one to experience this, and that it will pass. I'm trying to intake more fibre to help and make the transition a bit easier, is the hope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast