Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sources of fat? page

mdh157 is offline Member

Sources of fat?

Shop Now
    Can anyone point me to a list of good sources of nutritional fat? Need to cut these carbs down, having reflux that I cannot get rid of and I don't want what that leads to........scares the hell out of me.

Not sure the ultra low carbs will get rid of it but I must push it.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Uh, red meat, red meat, red meat.

Also, coconut oil, butter, ghee, tallow, lard...

Avocados (make lots of guacamole).

Do you do dairy? Cheese, cream, whole milk...

Also, GERD means digestive issues. Try some Apple cider vinegar before meals, also digestif bitters. Digestive enzymes may be of use here too.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Nourished is offline Senior Member
    I like roasting and sauteing veggies in olive oil. Bacon grease/lard is good and plentiful around here. I use coconut oil to saute greens in.
    My food philosophy is whole foods, simply and traditionally prepared. Food should honor your taste, health, and the environment.

mdh157 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post

Also, GERD means digestive issues. Try some Apple cider vinegar before meals, also digestif bitters. Digestive enzymes may be of use here too.
    Yes, I like and eat dairy, particularly extra sharp cheddar

What are digestif bitters? (or should that be digestive?)

What about betaine hcl supplementation? Should that make it better or worse?

miata is online now Senior Member
    There is sometimes a different answer for eating fat versus cooking with fat. In either case you want to understand the differences between saturated, monounsaturated and PUFA fats (Omega 3 vs Omega 6).

In particular you want to minimize PUFA due to their instability. Omega 6 oils (think "seed oils") are particularly bad. You want to have enough Omega 3 from fish and stuff to offset Omega 6. I personally eat a ton of fish and think that is good. So, the safest meats are grass fed beef or lamb -- and I think wild fish as well salmon, sardines, etc.. Most pork and chicken have a lot of Omega 6 oils ,so best to limit. You can also add olive oil or butter to your food/salads or coconut oil and butter to your coffee if you want to go bullet proof. Heavy cream is also good -- especially if organic grass fed.

For cooking the best are ones with high smoke points like lard, tallow and ghee. Refined coconut oil and avocado oil are also good.

gdot is offline Senior Member
    Good quality, organic, cold pressed, extra virgin, olive oil.

If you have access to Costco - their Kirkland's Organic is a great value.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Uh, red meat, red meat, red meat.

Also, coconut oil, butter, ghee, tallow, lard...

Avocados (make lots of guacamole).

These suggestions are prefect. Get grass fed dairy when possible, especially with butter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mdh157 View Post
    Yes, I like and eat dairy, particularly extra sharp cheddar

What are digestif bitters? (or should that be digestive?)

What about betaine hcl supplementation? Should that make it better or worse?
    Nope, I mean stuff like ths:

Digestif.com - Angostura Aromatic Bitters

Why? Because:

Digestive Bitters: Better than Probiotics! - Gwens Nest

And

Bitters -your key to healthy digestion

And

About Urban Moonshine Digestive Bitters | Urban Moonshine

TL;DR = digestif bitters tell the body food is on the way if taken before a meal and so tell the body to ramp up HCL production in anticipation of this food. So take and hold under the tongue for several minutes (you have to taste it to trigger the good stuff) about fifteen minutes before a meal. More HCL = better digestion = less stuff causing upset later.

Also, regular store-bought pasturized dairy isn't great. Try to source it from your farmer's market if you can!
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Quote Originally Posted by Markbt View Post
    These suggestions are prefect.
    Why thank you! Yes, I am quite a piece of perfection.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    mainly focus on foods that come with fat attached -- red meat, salmon, eggs, avocado. then add in grass-fed dairy and supplemental fats already listed in this thread.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast