Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: What ethically concerned vegans *should* eat page 13

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellodee View Post
    I never felt a need to rationalize out reasons for feeding my cats. I love them and they need to eat, so I give them food that's supposed to be good for them. So far it's worked out alright
    But wouldn't this arguement apply to yourself as well? YOU have evolved to eat meat as well, and it's good for you.

I don't understand how people (not talking specifically about you here) can see humans as somehow not part of the animal kingdom.

The food that is good for us to eat is what our gut has evolved to digest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellodee View Post
    This is strictly about mass-produced meat.
    Well then. No arguement there. I think it's better to be vegetarian than eat CAFO meat. So you're not so much a vegetarian as someone who can't afford good meat?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Nellodee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    But wouldn't this arguement apply to yourself as well? YOU have evolved to eat meat as well, and it's good for you.
    What argument? But yes I evolved to eat meat, and it would probably be good for my body.

I don't understand how people (not talking specifically about you here) can see humans as somehow not part of the animal kingdom.

The food that is good for us to eat is what our gut has evolved to digest.
    Humans also evolved in such a way that we developed strange things, like free moral agency. I think it'd be pretty hard to find a person that actually believed we were not part of the animal kingdom lol. But humanity is so complex and varied that there's not going to be one right answer that fits everyone, when we're talking about things like ethics and diet. Or like most things.

It's interesting that we evolved to consume meat, but is our evolutionary history the sole factor in determining our diets today? Because that seems like a big oversimplification.

Well then. No arguement there. I think it's better to be vegetarian than eat CAFO meat. So you're not so much a vegetarian as someone who can't afford good meat?
    I'm a vegetarian, and I'm not saying my diet is objectively more ethical than anyone else's. It's not a competition, but if it were I would just be trying for new personal bests instead of trying to win. My diet is better than one full of CAFO (acronyms!) meat and that's a personal accomplishment I'm proud of myself for. I look for ways to keep making improvements too, like cutting soy out of my diet (or looking for better sources of it hehe) and buying locally grown veggies when possible.

There's this slippery slope thing, and if you discount someone's ethical efforts because yours are more effective than what's stopping the person who lives a more ethical existence than you from scoffing at your hard work? We're all in this together imo and it's best not to be so divisive.
    token vegetarian

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213