Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I skip the bone broth to get more calories? page

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member

Should I skip the bone broth to get more calories?

Primal Fuel
    I have recently started making and eating my own bone broth.

I generally fast until noonish. Then I eat a cup or so of bone broth with a pastured egg stirred into it (mock egg drop soup) plus a sprinkling of whatever veggies I have on hand (frozen kale, baby spinach, steamed asparagus) plus salt. I am so freakin' full after eating my "soup" that I can go for hours and hours and hours without feeling hungry. Then I've been trying to drink just a half cup or so of broth before every meal, and I find my belly is so full that I am eating portions that are half or a third the size I used to.

Now... I can stand to lose a few pounds. Maybe 10-15, depending. So dropping some weight would be a plus to me, for vanity's sake. But I am currently nursing my infant (10-months-old, just starting solids like bone broth! lol) and I don't want to cut my calories so much that, if the broth ever becomes less satiating, that I end up yo-yoing my weight.

Typical Day:

Black coffee in morning

Bone broth + egg + asparagus spear (chopped) around noon

Maybe an early evening snack of cottage cheese or some sliced deer bologna and cheese, maybe a couple of rice crackers if I need some crunch

Late supper varies. Classic example would be 1/2 cup bone broth, 1 small chuck patty with tomato on top of a portabello mushroom, 1/2 small baked white potato, some sauteed spinach.

I'm 40 years old, mom to three little kids, 5'0", about 120 lbs with about 10-15 pounds to lose. Daily exercise varies from just a few pushups to push-mowing the lawn with an old-fashion Amish mower for 45 minutes to doing a 20-minute workout DVD to a 30 minute easy barefoot jog or walk. So I get some activity, but I'm not a Crossfitter or anything.

Thoughts? Am I setting myself up for a big gain if the broth becomes less satiating? Should I skip the before-supper broth so my supper is larger and more calorie dense? Or do I keep eating what I'm eating and see what happens?
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

maurile is offline Senior Member
    Bone broth is awesome. Find something else to skip instead.

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    If you're satisfied I don't see a problem.

But if you want to cut down on bone broth without losing its benefits you could try to use less water. I have heard of people putting bones in a bag and smashing them with a hammer to break them down.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Dont stop bone broth.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    What is that, like, 600 calories tops? Sounds more like starvation mode.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    What is that, like, 600 calories tops? Sounds more like starvation mode.
    Yeah. That's my concern.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Eat more...don't stop bone broth. Heck make a meal of it. Add tubers vegetables and meat to make a stew. Don't skim the fat. That'll help if you need more energy.

And if you are worried you aren't getting enough food then for all that is holy stop fasting till noon! Go ahead and eat breakfast and snack on nuts and seeds and fruit between meals.

Nevermind, just saw you are still trying to lose weight. Just keep up with what you are doing in that case. Starvation mode is a mythical beast. Everyone on hypocaloric diets will have a slowing of the metabolic rate to one degree or the other. Cycling carbs seems to help as does some resistance training to counteract this. But your satiety will govern itself.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-29-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    And if you are worried you aren't getting enough food then for all that is holy stop fasting till noon! Go ahead and eat breakfast and snack on nuts and seeds and fruit between meals.
    Truthfully, I fast because I'm not hungry. My sleep isn't dialed in (thanks to a baby that wakes 3-6 times a night), so I use coffee to get me going in the morning, and coffee dulls my appetite in a big way.

Nourished is offline Senior Member
    Lol OP I saw your thread over on 3fatchicks, too. "Starvation mode" is mostly a myth. Your body can hold on to its fat reserves but not enough that it's going to stop you from losing at the calorie level you're at. I would just keep doing what you're doing- eat for satiety. If you feel happy and healthy then don't mess with it.

P.S.- That sounds like a great breakfast. I've made bone broth a few times and I don't like the taste. I might have to force myself to get accustomed to the taste, or perhaps try one based on poultry instead of beef bones.
    Last edited by Nourished; 04-29-2014 at 04:07 PM.
    My food philosophy is whole foods, simply and traditionally prepared. Food should honor your taste, health, and the environment.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I don't have kids so I can't speak to this too much, maybe someone else could weigh in? but should we really trust to "satiety" in this situation? Even if you're not hungry, ISTM that the baby alone would need 600 calories. If you're not hungry, and your body isn't metabolizing the extra fat, ... what are you living on?

I'm 5'0", and in 2009 I did weigh 120 pounds, so I know how fat that feels. But at the same time, it's not a terrible weight, and by BMI standards you're not even "overweight." You could probably double your calories (primally, of course) without gaining much weight. At worst, it may be better to maintain at 20+ pounds for the time being?

If you really need more calories, switch from coffee to bulletproof coffee. Good for what ails you.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast