Thread: soaking macadamias----how long? page

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member

soaking macadamias----how long?

Shop Now
    hey there

want to eat some macas, but I would like to soak them first. never done this before. anyone know how long I should soak them? I would also like to soak some cashews too.

also, if anyone could explain why soaking them is better, i would greatly appreciate it.

MmmFat is offline Senior Member
    This is my go-to link for all my nut soaking questions (yes, I'm cracking up as I type this): http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...king-nuts.html
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." -- Virginia Woolf

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Almonds are supposed to soak for 12 hours. Walnuts for 4. It has something to do with density. Macadamias are probably somewhere inbetween. You are neutralizing enzyme inhibitors and phytic acid making the nuts easier to digest and healthier, supposedly. Dr. Guyenet at Whole Health Source toasts them briefly at low heat -- I think 250 for about a half hour. He doesn't think that hurts them and believes it zaps even more possible toxins while making them very yummy. A brilliant poster from a low carb dieting site also suspects lightly toasted is the best treatment.

WH Foods is skeptical about soaking. I am skeptical of anything coming from the Vegan culture.

Edit: If Sally Fallon says to soak them, who am I to argue. They just taste sooo goood toasted.
    Last edited by Grol; 06-30-2010 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grol View Post
    Almonds are supposed to soak for 12 hours. Walnuts for 4. It has something to do with density. Macadamias are probably somewhere inbetween. You are neutralizing enzyme inhibitors and phytic acid making the nuts easier to digest and healthier, supposedly. Dr. Guyenet at Whole Health Source toasts them briefly at low heat -- I think 250 for about a half hour. He doesn't think that hurts them and believes it zaps even more possible toxins while making them very yummy. A brilliant poster from a low carb dieting site also suspects lightly toasted is the best treatment.

WH Foods is skeptical about soaking. I am skeptical of anything coming from the Vegan culture.

Edit: If Sally Fallon says to soak them, who am I to argue. They just taste sooo goood toasted.
    toasted? really? user Stabby says that heating nuts creates toxic fats. Im not sure what that means, exactly, but said user seems very informed. I have no digestive issues when eating them, so I think im going to just eat them raw and not worry about it, but I might soak them and try to compare the experiences. thanks for the links!

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Stephan that the light toasting (250 for 30 mins) would be fine if the shell is intact. The problem is usually with the roasted nut-butters. And Macadamias have no PUFAs anyway. Usually over night works for everything but if Sally Fallon has a suggested soaking time I would defer to that.

And I am skeptical of WH food's statements that corn, soy and peanuts are amongst the healthiest foods in the world.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    The reason I soak cashews is to make them softer so that they blend up smoother. They really do soak up water. I tried an experiment where I soaked 1 cup of raw cashews in 3/4 cup water in a sealed container in the fridge overnight. I measured the water and there was only 1/2 cup left, so they soaked up the other 1/4 cup water. They were noticeably bigger and softer.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I'm probably giving up nuts for July. But when I eat them again, I may soak them and toast them. :shrug:

Stabby, my vegan comment was pointed at WH Foods. Vegans love that site.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    The reason I soak cashews is to make them softer so that they blend up smoother. They really do soak up water. I tried an experiment where I soaked 1 cup of raw cashews in 3/4 cup water in a sealed container in the fridge overnight. I measured the water and there was only 1/2 cup left, so they soaked up the other 1/4 cup water. They were noticeably bigger and softer.
    god that sounds good

AutumnP is offline Senior Member
    Blended cashews also make an amazing non-dairy cream sauce base, which can take either a sweet or savoury route, depending on the recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnP View Post
    Blended cashews also make an amazing non-dairy cream sauce base, which can take either a sweet or savoury route, depending on the recipe.
    now thats interesting! I worship the bovine, udders included.