Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rusty skillet page

corberator is offline Member

rusty skillet

Shop Now
    I just found a great way to clean rust off of a skillet. I know... I am ashamed it happened in the first place but left it in the oven a few to many days.
    Take some salt and cut a potato in half. Put the salt on the skillet and rub the potato like an SOS sponge. The salt will act as an aggregate and the potatoes enzymes mixed with its RS will.... oh hell I don't know I found it in the library... ok internet. It worked great for me. Be sure to re cure the skillet after.
    Also don 't eat the potatoes... they tasted awful. Although high in iron.... and oxide.
    Last edited by corberator; 04-28-2014 at 06:49 AM. Reason: added more clarification
    6'1" 30 y/o male
    June 2013 - 310+lbs
    April 2014 - 230lbs
    "The great and powerful Trixie doesn't trust wheels"!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    are we talking cast-iron skillet?

you can also put it in the oven on the clean-cycle.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

corberator is offline Member
    yes cast iron.... the clean cycle on my oven shuts off the power to the house.... sooooo ashamed
    6'1" 30 y/o male
    June 2013 - 310+lbs
    April 2014 - 230lbs
    "The great and powerful Trixie doesn't trust wheels"!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I finally have a self-cleaning oven and think I'm going to refinish my shitty cast iron pan as a test (if it goes well, I'll do the little pan too). We don't have a fan in the kitchen, unfortunately. I should probably wait till it's a bit nicer out and borrow a box fan to put in a window. I've just never been able to season my cast iron pans properly. I really need a whole weekend to do it, so I can bake the thing repeatedly.

The potato is a good idea. I've used salt to clean skillets before, but it always ruins my sponges. The potato is a cheaper and easier way to "hold" the salt while you scrub. Also, biodegradable
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

PrimalMarduk is offline Senior Member
    How do you refinish it? I didnt realize soap causes them to rust so mine has a little on it

byrds is online now Junior Member
    A gas grill works well to season it outside so you don't have to worry about any smoke in the house....

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

byrds is online now Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMarduk View Post
    How do you refinish it? I didnt realize soap causes them to rust so mine has a little on it
    THE TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR SEASONING LODGE CAST IRON COOKWARE (from Lodge Manufacturing):

Wash utensil in hot, soapy water. Use soap THIS TIME ONLY. Rinse
    utensil and dry completely.

Apply a thin coating of melted shortening (Crisco, for example) to the utensil with a soft cloth or paper towel. Apply INSIDE AND OUTSIDE. (Note: if your utensil has a lid, season it as well.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place utensil UPSIDE DOWN on top shelf of oven. Place aluminum foil on a baking sheet and put on bottom shelf of oven to catch any drippings. Bake in oven for one hour, turn oven off and let utensil remain in oven until cool.

Utensil should be well seasoned prior to boiling foods of any kind.
    Re-season utensil after cooking beans or acidic foods (such as tomatoes). Frying and cooking foods with fat content helps expedite the seasoning process.

Clean utensil after use while still warm with hot water and a plastic scrub bun or brush.

DO NOT put in dishwater.

DO NOT wash utensil with soap or dishwashing detergents unless you are going to repeat the seasoning process since soap tends to strip the seasoning.

Dry utensil thoroughly after washing then spray lightly with vegetable oil (Pam, for instance). Wipe dry and store. Never store utensil with lid on. (Cast iron needs air circulation.)

Do not use utensil as a food storage vessel.

Remove any heavy food or grease build-up in a self-cleaning oven or with steel wool, SOS pad, sand paper, etc., then re-season.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I finally have a self-cleaning oven and think I'm going to refinish my shitty cast iron pan as a test (if it goes well, I'll do the little pan too). We don't have a fan in the kitchen, unfortunately. I should probably wait till it's a bit nicer out and borrow a box fan to put in a window.
    You really should find a way to exhaust the fumes out of your apartment.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    You really should find a way to exhaust the fumes out of your apartment.
    It'd be nice, but the stove isn't really near a window. It's not MA rental law to have a fan in the kitchen either.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

PrimalMarduk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by byrds View Post
    THE TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR SEASONING LODGE CAST IRON COOKWARE (from Lodge Manufacturing):

Wash utensil in hot, soapy water. Use soap THIS TIME ONLY. Rinse
    utensil and dry completely.

Apply a thin coating of melted shortening (Crisco, for example) to the utensil with a soft cloth or paper towel. Apply INSIDE AND OUTSIDE. (Note: if your utensil has a lid, season it as well.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place utensil UPSIDE DOWN on top shelf of oven. Place aluminum foil on a baking sheet and put on bottom shelf of oven to catch any drippings. Bake in oven for one hour, turn oven off and let utensil remain in oven until cool.

Utensil should be well seasoned prior to boiling foods of any kind.
    Re-season utensil after cooking beans or acidic foods (such as tomatoes). Frying and cooking foods with fat content helps expedite the seasoning process.

Clean utensil after use while still warm with hot water and a plastic scrub bun or brush.

DO NOT put in dishwater.

DO NOT wash utensil with soap or dishwashing detergents unless you are going to repeat the seasoning process since soap tends to strip the seasoning.

Dry utensil thoroughly after washing then spray lightly with vegetable oil (Pam, for instance). Wipe dry and store. Never store utensil with lid on. (Cast iron needs air circulation.)

Do not use utensil as a food storage vessel.

Remove any heavy food or grease build-up in a self-cleaning oven or with steel wool, SOS pad, sand paper, etc., then re-season.

Crap, Im way too lazy for this lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast