Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rusty skillet page 2

Hermyone is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Also you can put the pan in a plastic garbage bag with ammonia outside overnight. I have not done this yet so don't know the specifics. On my list of things to do! if anyone does it let me know how it works!!

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I cannot believe people go to all this trouble for their cast iron !!!!!!
    I just use a wee scrubber thing, no soap, just hot water, dry it and its all set for the next time!!!!!!
    Sometimes, if I remember - I fill it with water after cooking (while still hot) and all the remnants just wipe off !!!!!
    I have been told to never EVER use soap on cast iron !
    Hermyone, I am guessing that cast iron is semi permiable, but please correct me if I am wrong, and I would be concerned about using something so harsh. Not only from the iron point of view but also ingesting any residue that has permiated the iron.
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Hermyone is online now Senior Member
    Understandable. I think that method is if you have an old crusty one. Which I believe the OP did... mine is pretty old and crusty. The inside is awesomely seasoned though. Thanks for your concern Gwamma!

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

corberator is offline Member
    Mines only like years old. I made it all rusty by cooking a chinken in it in the oven and leaving the drippings in the skillet... in the oven... for a long time. It was pretty bad. lol. Thats how I invented rust!
    6'1" 30 y/o male
    June 2013 - 310+lbs
    April 2014 - 230lbs
    "The great and powerful Trixie doesn't trust wheels"!

ekba09 is offline Member
    If it is a rusty, crusty mess, clean with oven cleaner or ammonia and lots of elbow grease with a copper mesh scrubber pad.

Then season in a hot oven with a thin layer of a drying oil (something PUFA-rich like flaxseed oil). The oil will polymerize and create a nonstick coating. Once seasoned properly, you can use soap to clean. Just don't soak for a long time.

byrds is offline Junior Member
    Never heard of using ammonia.... That being said me personally I'd prefer no ammonia on my frying pans, but that's me.

Don't use soap. Only time it is remotely okay is when you first buy one or before you season a pan that in need of attention. Normal use doesn't require soap.

Also I've heard somewhere possibly Alton Brown that some sand paper can be used not sure.
    Alton did a entire show on cast iron if you like using the stuff look into it very educational.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12