Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious about calories page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

Curious about calories

One of the recurring things that has kind of stuck out to me recently is how low some of your calorie counts are. It seems like quite a few people here are sitting between the 1500 - 2000 calorie range.

I try to keep my portions adequately sized, but fat has so many calories that I easily hit 2500 - 2700 calories a day without even thinking about it.

I'm not worried about losing weight, I'm healthy, but I just don't get how you guys who are eating 70% fat diets are only consuming 1800 calories. Are you drinking 1/4cups coconut milk with 1 slice of bacon for an entire meal and thats why your fat is so high?

Maybe this is blindingly stupid, I just don't get how some of you adult men are able to keep your calories that low without eating supermodel portions.

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    "Sometimes when I'm feeling really saucy I even take a breath of air, but then I feel too fat and let it out."

An old one but it still makes me laugh. May be NSFW due to some language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgH_Z...eature=related

haha man I havn't seen that video in ages. I remember when that video made the rounds at my gym.

Hmm maybe crossfitters just eat a lot and then do our crazy shit to feel better about it.

We eat because we WoD and we WoD because we eat?

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I am in that 1500-2000ish calorie range, and I don't feel like I eat supermodel portions either! Here is yesterday, to give you an idea:

1 cup of hot tea or coffee
    2 eggs cooked in butter with bacon and veggies
    1/2 cup homemade yogurt with 1/4 cup almonds

Spinach salad with salmon, bacon, 1/2 an avocado, drizzled with olive oil
    1/3 cup coconut milk with fresh strawberries

Pork shoulder lettuce wraps with cilantro, red onion, and lime
    Flax cracker with dry salami slices

1.5 oz. Vodka - a "mini-tini" as I like to call it

That comes to about 1970 calories, 68% fat, 20% protein
    I am a pretty lean 5' 7" 124 lbs., and I will throw in an apple or something at times should my workout for the day demand it.

ETA: Just realized you said adult men...oops!
    Last edited by supersellen; 06-30-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    haha man I havn't seen that video in ages. I remember when that video made the rounds at my gym.

Hmm maybe crossfitters just eat a lot and then do our crazy shit to feel better about it.

We eat because we WoD and we WoD because we eat?
    I'm sure that's part of it, but I think you're right in that a lot of people eat far less than they should. When I "counsel" people (that sounds far more professional than I am) who are starting paleo/primal, I generally have to repeatedly emphasize that they need to eat MORE.

Most people have been so brainwashed by CW, and tried to lose weight so many times with so many strategies that they are completely disconnected with what their bodies need, and simultaneously afraid of calories. In my experience, when people stall out on weight loss, and I believe they are doing everything they are supposed to and not cheating, then eating more is the answer. Typically it has resulted in gaining a little and losing a lot, plus more energy. When a 250lb woman is eating 1200 calories a day.....it's just no good.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    My calories in went way down when I started eating primal. I'm just way less hungry! Fat has a lot of cals per gram, but it doesn't take many grams to leave me feeling full. I could eat cereal/rice/pasta/etc all day and never feel full. I was having a really hard time keeping my cals down to 2k/day; more usual was 2300-2500. Now I rarely hit 2k, usually only on days when I do eat carbs. Mostly 1500-1800/day now.

(btw I am female 5'9, 175lbs)

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    I'm usually around 2500-3000 Calories a day... that is without effort and still leaning out (I've lost 18lbs so far with those Calorie counts)

Alzen, I completely agree with you about calorie-phobia. I think when we eat healthy (aka primally) we can consume quite a bit more calories than with a CW diet. Seeing my co-workers attempt to exist on 1500 calories a day made up of grains and sugars is just sad to watch.

Fatkid.... nice! That's what I want to see more of!

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    I have trouble understanding how people can even work it with getting adequate protein (4 calories/gram) and be eating 70% of their calories from fat and still staying that low, caloric-ally speaking...

say for me... I need about 140ish/150ish grams of protein so that is ~580 calories from that...

so even if I eat zero carbs (provided my math is correct?) I'll be getting 1933 Calories from fat...and most people I see are getting at least some carbs ... granted I do realize that not everyone needs as much protein as I do...but still :-P

fufonzo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just started Primal on Friday so I'm a newbie, but having followed CW, I was used to tracking my calories. So I tracked my calories on PB for the first few days to try and get an idea of how much carbs, proteins, and fat I should be eating.

Counting my workouts (I subtracted my calories burned from my workout), I averaged probably around 2000 calories (gross intake probably around 2500 calories), but I felt I was eating a lot. I can definitely see how people could fall under 2k.

Fat really is very filling. I had a hard time keeping my calories under 3k eating carbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast