Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bison page

smerchant@plusd.org is offline Senior Member

Bison

Shop Now
    I just bought some ground bison from a company called Tender Bison. Does anyone have any insight in this company and their practices?

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Thank you. I wonder what "a brief introduction to grain" means.

am assuming that much like "grass-fed"beef cattle, they are grain-finished to bump the fat (i.e.tastiness) content.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

gdot is offline Senior Member
    None the less - free ranging, no hormones, etc. etc.

One could eat much worse.

Enjoy

Sounds good. Got it at Walmart of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by gdot View Post
    None the less - free ranging, no hormones, etc. etc.

One could eat much worse.

Enjoy
    totally.

Ernest Hemingway

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have heard they cannot call it bison in the US unless it is completely range fed. If it spends any time in a feedlot, it's not bison.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have heard they cannot call it bison in the US unless it is completely range fed. If it spends any time in a feedlot, it's not bison.
    grain-finished doesn't have to mean feed-lot.

Ernest Hemingway

triemann is offline Junior Member

Bison

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    grain-finished doesn't have to mean feed-lot.
    TenderBison has been arouind since 1993 and is based in Fargo ND. We harvest and sell All Natural Bison across the US and into Europe. 99% of all bison (which is the same as buffalo and has no bearing if the animal is grain finished or grass fed or free range) are grass fed till the last 100 days when they are put on a grain based diet. Reason is not to add fat to the animal like the beef producers do, but to whiten the fat and to remove any off flavors that are a result of eating grass. Grasses will impart an off flavor to the meat. Some people refer to it as a gamey flavor. Bison meat is naturally more tender then beef so it does not need the intramuscular fat to give it flavor or tenderness. Because bison is all natural it is more tender then beef. Hormones have a negative affect on tenderness and flavor of the meat. Hope I have dispelled some incorrect informaiton that people have about why bison are fed grain and the reason for doing so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast