Thread: Bodyweight exercise with a bum wrist? page

meepster is online now Senior Member

Bodyweight exercise with a bum wrist?

Shop Now
    I recently restarted an exercise program that I love. It involves Shovelglove exercises, push-ups, and body weight squats - I'm starting from a very low fitness level, so it's just right for me. I feel happy and energetic and I'm seeing muscles popping up.

One problem is emerging, alas. I have a ganglion cyst in my right wrist that's been there for years. Normally, ganglion cysts are no big deal, but this one is pressing on a nerve, and I'm worried that the exercises I'm doing might be aggravating it. I'm noticing more symptoms of various nerve-related stuff. I'm right-handed, and I'm a pianist, so I really don't want to do any more damage. The only way to truly fix the issue is surgery, and I'm trying to put that off as long as possible.

However, I really don't want to give up my new exercise program - I'm feeling so good and I don't want to lose all that lovely muscle. Obviously, I'll be doing a lot more leg exercises while things calm down with the wrist, but are there any body weight arm exercises that don't load the wrist or the hand?

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    Planks from done from your forearm maybe? It will work the shoulders at least.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Hard not to use the hands when doing upper body work. How does using dumbbells sound? you could do dumbbell presses, standing or lying to replace the push ups, but obviously you'd have to hold them.

The only other thing I can think of is trying to fashion a way to strap resistance bands to your wrists and doing bicep curls, tricep extension, chest flyes, etc...
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    I have cerebral palsy-left side affected. My wrist is pretty immobile and constricted. My hand is weak and lacks fine motor skill ability.

I use a wrist brace so that my wrist does not collapse with a load over 5 lbs. I use adjustable ankle weights (up to 20 lbs), wrapped around my forearm to do things requiring a dumbbell in the hand- presses, curls, rows, etc. And finally, I also use resistance bands with the wrist brace and/or ankle straps around my wrist.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Knuckle pushups?

Sent via lightsaber

meepster is online now Senior Member
    iniQuity - I do have lightweight 5 lb dumbbells, but they probably won't do a thing for my arms and shoulders. I like the resistance band idea! I'll have to try that. I do have one somewhere.