Thread: Weight loss: Is the secret in your bacteria? page

Hotmail is offline Senior Member

Weight loss: Is the secret in your bacteria?

Primal Fuel
    Weight loss: Is the secret in your bacteria?

Now researchers in China have looked at what impact gut bacteria have on people's weight.

They think that changing the type of bacteria found in the gut may be more effective at helping people to shed weight than cutting calories alone.
    BBC News - Weight loss: Is the secret in your bacteria?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Hooray for gut bacteria!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Very well could be. The less starch I eat the less I tend to weigh, but that could just be an effect of already having the right proportions of microbes in my gut. Even after VLC I could pick up a raw potato and eat it without distress, and just a few days of eating beans and my GI will have adjusted. I think there are some of us who simply possess good microbes. When we go VLC, the quantity diminishes but the quality is not impacted. Therefore, RS just doesn't have those magical effects for us. Just creates more poo.

Knifegill on the other hand experienced great pain and gastodistress with reinto of carbs. Why? I think its due to him having poor/pathogenic gut microbes from day one. Day one being his life of high processed "food stuff". VLC killed off the majority of the nasties and his health improved. Upon reintroduction though he was carb intolerant. Mainly because the good microbes where still so few, and the bad ones where waiting for doritos . But in the presence of their natural fuel and without having to compete with superior numbers of the virulent microbes (i.e....they had room to grow and proliferate after killing some of the bad ones off) they slow but surely did just that. So really Knife went through a version of the GAPs diet for rehabbing his gut. He just spent more time in phase one than most.

TQP
    TQP is offline Senior Member
    Yeah sure gut flora has a lot to do with it...but I doubt anyone would lose if they had World's Most Perfect Gut Flora but ate 10,000 cals and be sedentary.

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    Yeah sure gut flora has a lot to do with it...but I doubt anyone would lose if they had World's Most Perfect Gut Flora but ate 10,000 cals and be sedentary.
    Exactly this. From the article: "Admittedly, the self-controlled nature of this study does not allow to infer that all described effects are due to manipulation of gut microbiota."

I'll bet the guy who lost the 51kg in six months wasn't eating anything like his usual daily diet.

It is really interesting to see this info hitting mainstream media, though...

Hotmail is offline Senior Member
    The idea in the article is that the bad gut bacteria will make you crave more food, and one is not satisfied, once the gut bacteria is corrected, the person would be satisfied with normal portions, so of course 10000 calories would make one fat and lethargic, but correcting the gut bacteria means one would be satisfied and happy with a lot less calories and would have more energy to move.

Timthetaco Guest
    I believe this line: "One morbidly obese patient who was studied as a precursor to the trial lost 51kg, in six months - or about a stone every three weeks."

refers to this guy: An opportunistic pathogen isolated from the gut of an obese human causes obesity in germfree mice

It's been my experience as well that gut flora has a significant effect on weight loss and body composition.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotmail View Post
    The idea in the article is that the bad gut bacteria will make you crave more food, and one is not satisfied, once the gut bacteria is corrected, the person would be satisfied with normal portions, so of course 10000 calories would make one fat and lethargic, but correcting the gut bacteria means one would be satisfied and happy with a lot less calories and would have more energy to move.
    I like this point. The appetite comes from somewhere and obesity research seems unanimous that 24/7 manual restraint is a dead end. Energy issues override cognition.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The studies quoted were primarily dietary interventions, not microbiota.

The headline should read:
    "Artichoke, miracle weightloss food"
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"