Thread: I need carbs! newbie needs help with nutrition - every opinion appreciated page

lini is offline Junior Member

I need carbs! newbie needs help with nutrition - every opinion appreciated

Primal Fuel
    Hello guys!

I have a question and I hope to find some experienced people here to help me!

I am a 21 yo girl, 5'3'' and currently 120lbs.

I am a rhythmic gymnast and have many "tailored" leotards! I also started with crossfit 3 times a week some months ago.
    2 months ago I had an operation. After that, I was just allowed to eat white brad, white noodles etc, everything that is digested easily.
    As I am a "everything or nothing" person, I just ate everything I was allowed to when I was hungry. I started working out a little again after 2 weeks post op, but continued eating whatever (mostly noodles, muesli, cereals, normal bread with cheese and also chocolate and crisps). I gained 8lbs and now all the costumes don't fit anymore, because they have always been super tight!

I have never every tried to loose weight, because I actually have always been around 108-110lbs and I really liked it. My diet looked pretty much same as I want it to look now again, but now I want to "plan" it more, because I really wanna loose and then maintain my weight!

So what I want to do now is loose around 8lbs, then keep this weight and gain muscle (strength) with training.

I can't eat raw fruit or veggies, because they give me gastritis!

I would love if you could check my plan. I am doing rhythmic gymnastics 2 times a week for 2 hours and crossfit 3 times for 1 hours.

Here's my plan to loose 8lbs:

10:30am Breakfast:1 caffe latte, 2 slices of protein bread, ham, cheese, low fat spread, 1 egg, 1 banana
    or 1 caffe latte, 2-3 scrambled egg, 1 slice of protein bread, 1 banana or 100gr of oat meal, a little bit of milk, 1 banana

15:00pm Lunch (pre workout):
    1 banana, 1 piece of fruit, 1 ice-cream

19:00 Snack (post workout):
    250gr of low fat curd cheese, 2 tbs of strawberry yoghurt, 50gr of oatmeal mixed together

20:00pm Dinner:
    200 gr of meat (chicken, pork, beef), 200gr of cooked brown rice/quinoa/potatoes, 150 gr of frozen veggies

After I lost 8 lbs, I would eat the same like I listed above, I will just allow myself 2 more snacks for both together about 400kcal, for example a chocolate pudding, another banana, a smoothie, ice cream, 30gr of nuts,...

I have no problem with eating nearly the same everyday, I have always liked eating pretty much the same!
    I just can't live without any carbs!

So what do you think, will this plan give me all the energy, nurtients amd vitamins I need? Will I loose some pounds and then keep it, but still have all the nurtients to gain strength in crossfit?

I would appreciate any opinion!

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Hello,
    Why would you give up carbs ?? Just eat whole foods that you are allowed to, and ditch the cereal grains. Think meats, eggs, fish, tubers, white parboiled rice, pseudo-grains like quinoa, buckwheat, millet are also OK once in a while. Add fermented foods, prebiotic foods, etc. But white bread and such is just crap.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, this is not a primal plan with all that oatmeal and chocolate pudding, low fat spread whatever that is etc. It doesn't seem like enough protein for someone who is working out to build muscle, and there are very few vegetables.

Even though you want to lose weight I think you will do so easily by cutting out the rubbish that you ate to gain it in the first place. You should not cut back on the most nourishing foods from your meat and veges, eggs, fruit etc. I think you can even include some nuts and whole dairy, since you are young, fit and very active.

I suggest:
    B: Scrambled eggs and butter-fried veges such as mushrooms, onions and silver beet. Or make an omelette with last night's leftovers.

L: Chicken or tuna with a big salad of lots of different ingredients. A banana and piece of dark chocolate. (Not just fruit and ice-cream).

S: Cottage cheese with fresh strawberries and flaked almonds. (No oatmeal, or flavoured yoghurt).

D: Sounds okay, but maybe more colourful starchy veges such as sweet potato or carrots instead of rice and spuds.

When you've lost the weight you want, instead of adding snacks, try eating bigger meals that will last you longer. Base each meal around a decent serve of protein and add some more fat.

Good luck.

d-roc is offline Member

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Hello,

Read the book.....low fat anything (but especially cheese!) is a bad idea. Good carb choices: root vegetables/tubers, fruit, and rice if you really gotta load up. (basically the link d-roc provided should work.

Stop crossfit. If you are a rhythmic gymnast you are already doing enough body work and getting your endurance training in.

Start strength training instead. Gymnasts lift weights to do this from what I've been told.

As a parting note....you really need to elaborate on the procedure you had done and why only bread and noodles are now allowed. If you are currently under dietitians care would be good to know as well. Also...what is "protein bread"?
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-27-2014 at 07:28 AM.

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Wait...you say you can't eat raw fruits/veggies but your plan includes fruits? O_o

Anyway, fruits, tubers (sweet potatoes, potatoes, carrots, cassava), sweet plantain, etc. are good carb sources.

I disagree with above posters about the usefulness of low fat dairy, but I do admit that it is NOT primal to eat them. If you want to be primal, eat whole-fat stuff. I personally eat lower fat dairy, but I take care to not eat stuff that have nasty additives. The "low fat spread" sounds like it has a bunch of chemicals.

Don't eat brown rice. Eat white rice. Brown rice is not really paleo.
    New journal AQUI... where we chat, cuss, and post offensive stuff.

Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Easy Banana Soft Serve)

Professional Style Website (Latest features: Lindy, Vice President at FINPRO// Cassy, Jewelry Designer)

Elegance is not the prerogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence, but of those who have already taken possession of their future.
    - Coco Chanel

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about your medical conditions, but that diet looks terrible, high toxin, high sugar, low fat, with lots of processed junk, calorie counting, and probably nutrient deficiencies. Within your medical restrictions, eat meats, healthy fats like grass fed butter, and vegetables. Eat white rice, sweet potatoes, or regular potatoes if you want more carbs. You also didn't explain why you think eating more carbs will help you lose the weight you gained from eating lots of carbs. It does not sound like you are familiar with primal or paleo at all. Maybe read the book or some of the introductory material on this site to learn about what is healthy and what isn't. Think grass fed butter, not low fat spread, whatever that is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Mr Anthony should be answering her questions.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    This appears to me to be a case of someone equating carbs with grains.

Yes, you probably should consume plenty of carbs. If you want to give up grains, go for it. Replace them with roots, tubers and fruit.

If you want to lose 8 pounds, you are already at a healthy weight so there isn't going to be a miracle plan for you. Your macros aren't going to make a hell of a lot of difference. The only thing that will matter is you eat fewer calories. Keep your protein high to maintain muscle and cut your calories from fat and carbohydrate in whatever portion is reasonable to you, always remembering that 'more' is not 'better.' i.e. zero carb or zero fat is not better.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    we don't know what the procedure was, but a doctor that tells a patient to eat white bread and noodles for months on end has a serious screw loose.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    This appears to me to be a case of someone equating carbs with grains.

Yes, you probably should consume plenty of carbs. If you want to give up grains, go for it. Replace them with roots, tubers and fruit.
    yes. yes. yes.

If you want to lose 8 pounds, you are already at a healthy weight so there isn't going to be a miracle plan for you. Your macros aren't going to make a hell of a lot of difference. The only thing that will matter is you eat fewer calories. Keep your protein high to maintain muscle and cut your calories from fat and carbohydrate in whatever portion is reasonable to you, always remembering that 'more' is not 'better.' i.e. zero carb or zero fat is not better.
    will quibble a bit in that yes, op is at a healthy weight for a regular girl, but is carrying more weight than she normally does to compete. there is a difference.

i think the macros will matter when grains are making up a good portion of her carb sources. they could easily be causing water retention of a couple pounds, which is a lot when weight-loss goal is only 8 pounds.

am also thinking her body comp has shifted with an extended-duration diet of almost no protein and all krappy carbs.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway