Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Journey Begins page

thealphageek is offline Junior Member

The Journey Begins

Shop Now
    Purpose: I am about to embark on my Primal Blueprint journey. I have decided to start a thread here in order to have someplace to store my thoughts and experiences. Perhaps others will look at this journal and be able to offer feedback.

About this journal: I will be slowly adopting the PB lifestyle step by step. I know myself well enough to know that attempting more than one change at a time will discourage me and perhaps cause me to give up. So changes will be implemented very slowly over the course of about six months or so. I also do not expect entries here to be overly frequent.

So now it is time for change #1. The first change I am making is adopting the PB diet. A couple days ago I signed up for the PB meal plan. This will help me with finding the appropriate foods and give me ways of preparing it (as I have almost zero cooking skills). My plan is to continue using this service until I am comfortable enough to tackle it on my own. I have to say that looking over the first week's meal plan has me both nervous and excited. I'm nervous because before now I had not even heard of a couple of items on there, believe it or not. So I'm not too certain where to find them. I'm also nervous because of the aforementioned lack of cooking skills. But I am excited because all of the food in there looks delicious. And I look forward to both improving my health and my cooking skills!

As I write this, I have just sat down after doing another task. That task was to find all the non-primal food in my kitchen and get rid of it. There is now a nice chunk of space available. It is looking sparse in there. I think I will try getting my food from Earth Fare. It's a store similar to Whole Foods. They're supposed to have very high quality at least organic food and some that are even better options. Then tomorrow I will start cooking and eating in accordance with the PB diet. Woohoo!

I just finished putting away all of my groceries. That trip was interesting and I learned quite a few lessons.

Lesson 1: It is difficult to shop in an unfamiliar store for unfamiliar foods. I was in there for about two hours hunting everything down. Luckily I had a friend who is more savvvy than myself who helped me out a bit....and mainly laughed at my confused state lol

Lesson 2: It is difficult finding somewhere to put all of that food in the fridge and cabinets at my house. Mainly because I am sharing the house with 1.6 roommates. I say the 0.6 because one of them is only here about 4 days out of each week.

Lesson 3: I cannot shop at that store anymore. They are outrageously expensive. For this week's shopping trip, I spent almost exactly twice as much as I did on food for the entire month of March. That translates into about 15% of my income...in other words, if I repeated this for a month, 60% of my income would have gone to food. So next time I will shop at Wal-mart and make do with what I can find there.

On the bright side, this week will be the best I have ever eaten in my life!

bullymama is offline Senior Member
    Welcome and good luck to you! Cleaning out my kitchen was cathartic...I remember that Sunday very well not too long ago. It was great to have all that extra pantry space too. You will get used to the shopping and prepping/cooking once you get more into primal eating. I know after the first week or two, I had a routine going. It can seem like you're spending a lot of $$ on groceries b/c you ARE...but just think about the big picture and how you're not spending money on junk anymore. I save lots of $$ now that i'm not buying diet soda, for instance.

Looking forward to reading your updates!

Thanks for sharing a bit of your story and for the encouraging words, bullymama!

Well, I went to bed earlier than usual last night and slept until I woke up on my own this morning. I now feel very well-rested. It's a nice change. Breakfast this morning was a zuccini egg bake. Even with my lack of cooking skills, it was very easy to prepare. And the best part is that it turned out to be delicious. And it's good for me. The positivity just doesn't end lol. I'm looking forward to trying my hand at primal pizza for lunch

My activity for the day is going to be a very thorough cleaning of the house. I'm feeling more energetic after that night's sleep and the breakfast, so it's time to quit procrastinating and get some work done.
    Last edited by thealphageek; 04-27-2014 at 08:36 AM.

Primal pizza was pretty good. I need to figure out what to do with the crust, though. I followed the recipe and it was too dry to even make a dough, so I added extra olive oil. It was still pretty dry and crumbly in the end. Maybe I'll just add a bit of water next time.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    For the pizza dough (don't what recipe you are using) if the dough was dry and crumbly adding and an egg might help. Eggs work as binders in baked goods. I think it's great that you are jumping right in and cooking! I love to see people learn to cook. If you have any cooking questions feel free to PM me, I worked professionally as a cook for years so I might be able to help.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

It's the recipe from the Primal Blueprint Cookbook, although I cut the amount of ingredients in half since I'm the only one eating it. That's a pretty good idea. That sounds like it would work nicely, plus I get to eat an extra egg...which is always good. Thanks for the tip, Urban Forager!

Final entry for the day. Just had salmon chowder for dinner...and it was awesome. I only at about half of it though, and I had not expected to have any left over at all. So I seem to be less hungry today than usual. We'll see if that trend continues.

Slept an hour later than I usually do. That still gives me plenty of time to shower, eat breakfast, pack lunch, and get to work...and post on here, too. I feel a good bit more rested than usual now. The leftover zuccini egg bake was just as good this morning as it was yesterday. I am still feeling a little hungry after having eaten it, but I'll tough it out until lunch time. And then we'll see how that pizza fares as a leftover. Pretty well is what I'm guessing.

bullymama is offline Senior Member
    Sounds great, Alphageek.

I get a little hungry sometimes too, even after having a high protein meal. I need to make sure i have enough fat which seems to help. I usually will not snack and just drink tons of ice water. Another thing that has helped is a spoonful of coconut oil...kills the appetite but it can be hard on the tummy if you're not used to it.

Your food sounds delicious, btw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast