Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (mom500) page

mom500 Guest

I'm starting the challenge and looking to lose 10 pounds overall. I'm hoping to lose at least half of that over the next 30 days.

I have five children: two school age girls and two year old triplets. I lost most of my pregnancy weight just being too busy to remember to eat! When the babies were 7 months old I followed Jillian Michaels' Making the Cut and lost an additional 10 pounds or so and added muscle (she has a fun workout plan that includes sprints, intervals, and circuit training).

Then, I started getting back into running. I love the stress relief of running long distances but one day I was googling something related to running and came across Mark's chronic cardio post. I was running 5-6 miles a day, but I decided to replace two of those days with tabata sprints. And I loved the results: I lost 5 pounds without trying, my regular running improved, and my energy really increased.

I've been eating more and more primally and thought I'd jump into the challenge and see what happens when I give up grains (at least 80% of the time).

Day 1 Meals:

Breakfast

scrambled eggs

blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries with cream

Lunch

tuna steak with salad

grapes

I modified a recipe from Gwyneth Paltrow's GOOP newsletter: Slice the tuna steak in half horizontally and rub each side with 1 tbsp minced ginger. Set a large skillet over high heat. Add peanut oil (I used sesame). When itís hot, cook the tuna steaks for 20-30 seconds on each side or until just seared (this will give you a beautiful sear and very raw interior - I seared it on high heat and then reduced the heat to medium and cooked for about an additional minute on each side - this still has a pink middle, but it gets cooked a little more). I served this over a salad made of spinach, red chard, and arugula (the peppery arugula goes really well with the tuna) and drizzled sesame oil and soy sauce over it all. It was delicious!

Snacks (planned)

almonds, oranges

Dinner (planned)

chicken lettuce wraps

roasted zucchini and squash (don't know how well this will go with the wraps, but breakfast and lunch were pretty light on veggies)

Here's the recipe:

Thai Satay Chicken

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts

1/4 cup soy sauce

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

2 tablespoons water

4 green onions with tops, cut into 1-inch pieces

Cut chicken crosswise into 3/4-inch-wide strips; place in shallow glass dish. Combine soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes in small bowl. Add water to remaining mixture. Pour over chicken; toss to coat well. Cover; marinate in refrigerator at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours, stirring mixture occasionally.

Soak 8 (10- to 12-inch) bamboo skewers 20 minutes in cold water to prevent them from burning; drain. Prepare grill for direct cooking.

Drain chicken; reserve marinade. Weave 3 to 4 chicken strips accordion-style onto each skewer, alternating with green onion pieces. Brush chicken and onions with reserved marinade. Discard remaining marinade.

Place skewers on grid. Grill skewers on uncovered grill over medium-hot coals 6 to 8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning halfway through grilling time. Serve with julienned carrots, red peppers, cilantro, and dipping sauce. Wrap in lettuce leaves (I'm using butter lettuce, but I've used romaine and iceberg in the past).

Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce:

1/4 cup rice wine vinegar

2 tablespoons fish sauce

1/4 cup hot water

2 tablespoons sugar (I'm skipping this)

1 lime, juiced

1 teaspoon minced garlic

1 teaspoon red chili paste

In a blender, puree the rice wine vinegar, fish sauce, hot water, sugar, lime juice, garlic, and chili paste until combined.

WOD

20 minutes of running/sprints on treadmill (included 4 all-out one minute sprints)

25 minutes of alternating walking & running 2 miles on the track

15 minutes running/walking stairs

mom500 Guest

I stuck with yesterday's eating plan, but never felt hungry enough for an orange. The lettuce wraps were really delicious. I didn't realize I had run out of chili paste, so I just made a sauce with rice wine vinegar, fish sauce, soy sauce, and lime. It was good but very vinegary, so I drizzled just a little plum sauce on the wraps (some sugar in there). I also took a 30 minute walk in the evening.

I thought I'd add a few details since I plan to weigh in each Monday (more accountability):

I'm 40, 5'6", and weigh 130. I was at 120 for almost a year and was really happy that weight. I gained 5 pounds when I had surgery and couldn't exercise for 6 weeks. I jumped right back into working out, but gained another 5 pounds. I maintained 120 by exercising and eating whole foods (I can't stand counting calories), and it didn't feel like I was doing anything differently except I was sprinting less and doing plyometrics less (because after lifting I would feel too tired for them and I'd often just walk). I tried to give blood and found out I was mildly anemic, so I've been eating more iron-rich foods and taking a multi-vitamin and getting my sprints in again.

Day 2 Meals

Breakfast

scrambled eggs

coconut flour pancakes with blueberries (served with butter; I was afraid they would need some sort of syrup, but the sweet hot tartness of the blueberries was more than enough)

recipe here: http://www.cheeseslave.com/2008/10/1...lour-pancakes/ (I skipped the rapadura and folded in about 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries)

Lunch

chicken lettuce wraps

sauteed zucchini

Snack (planned)

pistachios

smoked salmon

Dinner (planned)

grilled steak, grilled asparagus and a big salad

marinate the steak in garlic, pepper and 3+ tsp of salt - brush with olive oil and red wine vinegar before grilling.

WOD

Lower Body Weight Training

inspired by http://bodyforlife.com/exercise/weighttraining.asp

Quadriceps

Barbell Squats

Leg Presses

Repetitions: x12, 10, x8, x6, x12, x12

Hamstrings

Dumbbell Lunges

Lying Leg Curls

Calves

Seated Calf Raises

Standing Heel Raises

Abs

Floor Crunches

Oblique Floor Crunches

Hanging Knee Raises

Plyometrics

Jumping Squats x30

Jumping Lunges x30

Box Jumps x30

Track

alternated running and walking: 2 miles

Plan to go for a walk tonight.

mom500 Guest

I decided to start a FitDay account and track my carb/fat/protein/calorie intake. I'm only going to do this after the end of each day (I tend to get obsessive if I track it on an ongoing basis).

For Day 1, these were my results:

Calories 1,439

Fat 78.9 g (56%)

Carbs 56.4 g (14%)

Protein 125.9 g (37%)

Alcohol (0%)

For Day 2, these were my results:

Calories 1,286

Fat 80.3 g (55%)

Carbs 54.1 g (16%)

Protein 88.6 g (29%)

Alcohol (0%)

I was happy to see that my carb level is right where it should be. I could even add a little more fruit if I felt the need.

My snacks went as planned, but my dinner ended up being a grilled hamburger patty (with pickles, mustard and little ketchup) and a salad.

I've noticed that when I don't eat after 8 pm or so (which I have been experimenting with for a week - but it's been really easy these last two days because I don't feel hungry) I go to sleep easily and I sleep really well. I've struggled with insomnia for 15 years or so and would often have a bowl of cereal before bed so that I wouldn't wake up hungry in the middle of the night. I realize now that I was actually creating more problems than I was solving.

Another great thing that I am noticing (after just two days) is that my hunger and carb cravings are almost totally gone. I feel totally satisfied and I don't have that terrible low-energy, almost nauseated feeling I've had on other low carb diets. I can already see that my problem with being mostly primal was that the little bit of oatmeal, toast, rice, and cereal that I was eating was adding to my carb cravings and making it easier to overdo things just to the point of not being able to lose those last few pounds.

mom500 Guest

I felt really great today. I wasn't hungry at all and I had all kinds of energy. I went to the gym with the idea that I'd do sprints and one round of turbulent training (see WOD below) and then relax in the steam room. I ended up doing three rounds of turbulent training and a mile around the track and running stairs because I felt so good. I can't remember the last time tabata sprints felt so good - lately I've just been forcing myself to finish them.

Day 3 Meals

Breakfast

almond flour pancakes with blueberries

2 fried eggs

Lunch

salad with pear, carrot, and sunflower seeds

smoked salmon

Snacks

grapes

pistachios

almonds

string cheese

Dinner

steak

zucchini & red pepper

1/2 corn on the cob (I know, it's a grain, but it eats like a vegetable - but, it has carbs like a grain!)

Fit Day Results

Calories 1,590

Fat 102.8g (57%)

Carbohydrate 63.7g (15%)

Protein 110.4g (28%)

WOD

Gym

- stretches/foam roller

- tabata sprints 15 minutes

- turbulent training (http://fitnessblackbook.com/body-weight-training/):

1) 60 Jumping Jacks

2) Spiderman Pushups 10-15

3) Walking Lunges 10-15 for each leg

4) Spiderman Climbs 20 total

5) Squat Hold on Wall 45 seconds

6) Plank Hold for 60 seconds

7) Burpees

8) Running High Knees in Place 25 per side

rest one minute and then do it 2 more times

- walked/ran 1 mile on track

- ran stairs 4 min

- foam roller

- steam room 15 minutes

home

took babies on a walk and pulled them up and down a small hill in their wagon 4 x

went for a bike ride

went for a walk

mom500 Guest

I feel lighter today. It's pretty cool to actually notice it.

Day 4 Meals

Breakfast

omelet with spinach, red pepper, cheese

strawberries and blueberries with cream

Lunch

steak with salad

1/2 pear, sunflower seeds

small carrot

Snacks

1/2 apple with almond butter

Dinner

1/2 grilled chicken breast

grilled hamburger patty

slice of cheese

pickles, lettuce, tomato

grapes and grilled pineapple

FitDay Results

Calories 1,436

Fat 73.8g (45%)

Carbohydrate 71.7g (18%)

Dietary Fiber 10.0g

Protein 124.4g (36%)

WOD

went to the gym with my daughters today! I worked less hard than I would have if I'd have gone solo, but it was fun to be with them and probably good for me to play more than work

20 minutes elliptical

30 minutes upper body strength training

mom500 Guest

Today was my daughter's birthday. I decided that I would try to stay mostly primal, but that I'd indulge a little if I felt like it. This is about what is the healthiest lifestyle for me more than just the 30 days. Surprisingly, I didn't feel like having pastries in the morning (they looked like a stomachache on a plate).

I checked nutritional info before we headed to the restaurant and I'm glad I did - because I was going to order Chicken Lettuce wraps, but checked nutritional info online before I went & found out they have 208 grams of carbs. Instead I ordered Wok Charred Beef (which I thought was 15 grams, but when I went to doublecheck the numbers afterwards I noticed that has 5 servings per dish - ridiculous! so that's 75 grams). It was delicious - actually better than anything else I've gotten there, but I felt better about it when I thought it was 15 grams. Instead of rice I had sauteed spinach (8 grams - but I didn't eat much of it).

Day 5 Meals

Breakfast

scrambled eggs and ham

Lunch

2/3 PF Chang's Wok Charred Beef

1/4 Spinach with Garlic

little bit of chocolate cake

Snack

almonds and grapes

Dinner

leftover grilled steak

WOD

walking around the mall and playing with the kids

FitDay Results

Amazingly, I stayed under my 100 grams of carbs for the day (just barely)! But, if I had realized the serving size scam on P.F. Chang's nutritional info, it could've been quite a bit less. Oh well.

Calories 1,370

Fat 59.0g (38%)

Carbohydrate 94.7g (27%)

Dietary Fiber 1.6g

Protein 118.4g (35%)

mom500 Guest

Today I felt really tired toward the end of the day. Not really hungry, but tired. I chalked it up to a busy day with the kids, but when I figured out my calorie total for the day, it was really low (800 before I had some chocolate - a planned weekend treat). I'm still not hungry and now it's a bit late, but tomorrow I will try to eat more so I don't feel so worn out.

Day 6 Meals

Breakfast

2 fried eggs, white only (the yolk just wasn't appealing today)

raspberries and blueberries with cream

Lunch

seared tuna steak with ginger on romaine (mixed greens were a better combination with the tuna)

drizzled with soy sauce and sesame oil

grapes

Snack

almonds and an orange

Dinner

grilled chicken breast

cabbage, broccoli, squash, zucchini, carrots

little teriyaki sauce

Snack

chocolate with almonds

FitDay Results

Calories 1,078

Fat 57.2g (46%)

Carbohydrate 76.1g (26%)

Dietary Fiber 8.4g

Protein 72.1g (27%)

WOD

1 hour hike

mom500 Guest

Day 7 Meals

Breakfast

scrambled eggs with red pepper, spinach, and steak

grapes

Lunch

hamburger patty with lettuce, tomato, pickle, mustard, ketchup

zucchini and red peppers

Snack

diced peaches, blueberries and strawberries with cream

Dinner

salmon cakes with lemon-caper butter (recipe: http://www.nourishingdays.com/?p=1230)

roasted asparagus

FitDay Results

Calories 1,279

Fat 83.0g (58%)

Carbohydrate 58.3g (17%)

Dietary Fiber 12.6g

Protein 78.9g (26%)

mom500 Guest

WEIGH IN: 125.2 lbs

I'm amazed that I almost lost 5 pounds in a week - I was hoping to lose that much in a month! It's even more amazing that it wasn't hard at all.

mom500 Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Day 8 Meals

Breakfast

boiled egg (I would've ate more, but the kiddos kept wanting more for themselves)

blueberries, strawberries and yogurt

Lunch

seared tuna steaks with ginger and mixed greens

1/2 carrot, grapes

Snacks

1/2 banana

apple with almond butter

Dinner

fish "taco" salad: cod, avocadoes, diced tomatoes, cilantro, picked red onions, and sour cream over shredded cabbage with a little fresh lime juice over all (this would be good with a little salsa verde too)

- I marinated some cod in olive oil, hot sauce and lime juice. Normally we'd grill the fish, but the fish was really falling apart, so I just sauteed it.

- To pickle the onions, I brought some rice vinegar to a boil and then poured it over sliced red onion and then let it marinate for a few hours. It adds a whole new dimension to the dish, I think.

- I put some fresh lime juice and lime zest in the sour cream.

This was so delicious - it was super fresh and just fantastic food! I didn't miss the corn tortilla at all.

I realized today that I haven't missed the carbs that I've been cutting out hardly at all. Normally I would have served the tuna steaks on ciabatta bread and I might have had a little pasta with the salmon cakes last night and hamburger buns the other night, but not eating them really hasn't affected the flavor (or my enjoyment of the meals) at all.

FitDay Results

Calories 1,168

Fat 58.5g (43%)

Carbohydrate 77g (24%)

Dietary Fiber 14.8g

Protein 91.4g (33%)

I thought my carbs were a little higher because of the yogurt - but that was only 7g. It was just the fruit adding up. I'm surprised at how low my calories are, but I'm not hungry at all.

WOD

I went to the gym with my daughter. It's nice to be able to go on the treadmill and get in a good workout while she walks.

- stretches

- walked 1/2 mile on track

- tabata sprints on an incline on the treadmill

- turbulent training (http://fitnessblackbook.com/body-weight-training/ ):

1) 60 Jumping Jacks

2) Spiderman Pushups 10-15

3) Walking Lunges 10-15 for each leg

4) Spiderman Climbs 20 total

5) Squat Hold on Wall 45 seconds

6) Plank Hold for 60 seconds

7) Burpees

8) Running High Knees in Place 25 per side