Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am concerned about the kids page 2

Energy! is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    A few years ago I read a book (Eat to Live) that I thought my brother might enjoy. He read it and started eating a lot more veggies and since he does most of the cooking, the kids no doubt have eaten more as well. I wasn't trying to reform them, just was excited about the book at the time. Maybe you can offer a relevant book, cookbook, or video that you like in the spirit of sharing as opposed to being pushy about it. I give my relatives books on nutrition occasionally in hopes it might help them, but I don't "check up" on whether they adopt any of it. My feeling is, at least they can't say I never tried to tell them!

It's weird to me because I have been on a hunt my whole adult life to solve various health issues, so have been interested in any reasonable information. It's so obvious that nutrition is vital, but most people are like, "I can't be bothered," then they give a litany of their health problems.

texas.grok is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I totally think the health of future generations is in the crapper.
    I couldn't agree more.

According to this article, 70% of Americans are taking at least one prescription medication:

Study: 70 Percent Of Americans On Prescription Drugs CBS Atlanta

With one-fifth taking 5 or more.

A generation raised on processed foods, little physical activity (video games don't count) and a fear of all things germy are raising a generation of kids that will be even worse.

Over 50% of Americans are overweight, I don't see those numbers going down for the next generation of adults.

How many adults are raising their kids like this:

Instead of like this:

The future health of the kids is directly tied to the current health and lifestyle of the parents.

If you want to impact the future health of the kids, change the parents and to be honest, I see little hope in doing this.

We have a society that seems to foster weakness to the point of rewarding it in some cases.

I look at movies such as "Wall-E" and "Idiocracy" as more documentaries of our future than fiction.

Depressing......
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    It's true that kids follow.

DS loves to do kettlebells, but mine is too heavy, so he made some at the kindy (out of art supplies) and faithfully uses them in the AM when I do. We do yoga together and hi does qi gong with his father. He wants to lift weights, but obviously isn't allowed at the gym, which is why he does the kettle bells with us.

He's currently practicing his capoeira, and running between that and play dough. We'll be going out to the park later today (the one that a lot of other children go to), and we'll do a hike to get there (this park is big. . . so we park at the far end, hike to the opposite end through the trails, and then play at the park and hike back).

Interestingly, all of the children at hawk's current school and his next one are quite fit. It's the four-season "play outside" that's part of the equation.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Zoebird - good point about four season play! My kids play in all weather, too - they just dress properly for it. They go out at 10 at night on weekends in the winter and build snow tunnels for 2 hours, and play in the summer rain (no thunderstorms, folks - just rain), stomp puddles in wellies in the fall and spring, and everything in between. The only kind of weather I don't allow them to go out in is obviously dangerous weather like tornado warnings, hail, lightning storms, and the like that afflicts Ohio.

Also - "dirt" is not a four letter word in my household. I actually encourage getting dirty. I got rid of the previous owners' precious wall-to-wall carpeting and chose easy-to-clean floors for this country house. I have personally seen parents who actively discourage hard play in favor of keeping designer kid duds and their interior decorating pristine. As for me - the health of my kids comes before showing off.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

True.

I just ask DS not to get too dirty before school -- because when he plays, he gets dirty/muddy (I have a pair of jeans that had so much sand/mud in them, you could stand them upright and they would stay that way. I never could get them clean), and his hair looks like a rat's nest. I do not want to appear to be a parent who neglects her kid. So, he has to go to school looking at least decent in his clothing (a little dirt on the knees is not a problem).

One of my favorite photographs of him was his first mud puddle experience -- he was about 1 yr old at the time. I showed him how it 'worked' and then he got stuck in. I haven't really been able to remove him since. LOL Also, he's hilarious. He'll strip down to nothing on the front patio of our apartment building so that he's not as muddy going into the house. It's an absolute riot.

Our family even went out on 'polar vortex' days for a nice walk and some park time -- but because we didn't have *all* the clothing needed, we kept it pretty limited.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna H View Post
    In the general case, I think the health of kids is going downhill, but that's the national trend as a whole. Government has worked with Big Agriculture and for real change we need to change the culture. That's not easy and it doesn't happen with lectures. First, people have to decide that the extra effort in food prep and cooking is worth it, and then they have to be able to devote the time and money to it.
    Government has worked with Big Agriculture for more than a century to convince people that the extra effort involved in food prep is not worth it, so buy more processed food. People haven't always been this way.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna H View Post
    Government has worked with Big Agriculture and for real change we need to change the culture. That's not easy and it doesn't happen with lectures. First, people have to decide that the extra effort in food prep and cooking is worth it, and then they have to be able to devote the time and money to it.
    To my mind, this will naturally come with the end of the industrial era (the latter being doomed soon or later).

LisaLS is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I'm an aunt and a momma and yeah, you just don't say anything.

I absolutely loathe the way my nieces are being raised, but I would never tell their parents that.

Try to be a positive influence when you're around. That's about the best you can do.
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2
    SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
    CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
    Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
    Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    One of my favorite things is for the 2-3 weeks when I have family over, usually in the summer over their breaks. Last year I had 3 of my cousin's kids staying with me for about a month while they went on a trip....it was amazing.

They live in Dallas, in a big subdivision where the houses just sprawl on forever. They have every gizmo and gaming device known to man, as my cousin is quite wealthy and spoils the hell out of them. They each have a king-sized bed (Ages 10,12,15 mind you), their own rooms, and each plays a solid 5 hours of video games a day.....and yeah, they are kinda pudgy, very little muscle tone. The oldest one had never camped or fished a day in his life. He thought my axe in the front yard was for fun, like a throwing axe, only to realize it is actually a 50lb splitting maul. He could barely lift it up. It was sad.

My place was complete shell shock for them. I have no TV, no light bulbs, and there is only enough power for internet about 6 hours a day on average. It was the dead of summer, so naturally I put them to work gardening, planting, caring for the animals, and even tried to teach one how to change a shoe on a horse without getting kicked in the head. (It failed. He freaked out the horse by being so timid, bolted right out of there)

Music is from an old turntable, or from speakers until the batteries run out.....we ate mostly turkey and tomatoes every day, because it was the nearest hunting season and my tomatoes were my only solid crop. When I showed them how I prepare rabbits I thought one of them would faint. Chicken was totally out.

We camped out over a 5-day hiking trip, took them fishing for walleye, attempted to enter us into an orienteering adventure race before realizing that they weren't really my kids Point is, we had a blast. After a week they didn't miss anything. It was amazing. Kids just take to it all. Nothing makes you believe in a more primal lifestyle as much as seeing how kids seem just hard-wired for it, like something had to come in and mess things up to make them little video game zombies.

When my cousin came to get them, his eldest son had lost 35 pounds in less than that many days. I had them walking around barefoot. They had tans. He didn't hardly recognize his own kids. He was thrilled, kept asking me what the hell I did.

Word is that this year they are going to my brother's place.....who lives in Montana.....with his closest neighbor about 6 miles away.....I can't wait for what they are like at the end of that month.
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

That sounds like a cool time.

When we first arrived here, we visited our friends who live on some acreage in CT, right next to a park/hiking area. DS helped take down a couple of trees (we all did it), and he was so into helping out with hauling the trees to cut into firewood! He just loved it. He got up excited every morning to go and "take care of trees!" We went on 4-5 hr hikes with him, over relatively easy terrain (according to him -- btu there ware some decent grades), and he loved playing in the stream even though it was about 50 degrees out at the time (he stripped naked and enjoyed himself anyway, and didn't get sick or anything).

We're working him up to do the AT (or parts of it). We (DS and I) will be doing some nice hiking in WA this summer -- I'm visiting my grandmother and then a friend from high school who now lives out there (my friend lives very rurally). I'm trying to push him to 6-8 hr hikes over tougher terrain in the next year or two. And, we're going to return to CT to help out with the trees again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12