Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has caffeine stalled anybody's weight loss? Frustrated in Holland : / page

Kazmo is offline Member

Has caffeine stalled anybody's weight loss? Frustrated in Holland : /

Primal Fuel
    Hi all, I was just wanting to know from people's personal experience, as I'm a newbie round here, if caffeine has interfered with anyone's weight - loss goals? Just doin a search online, it seems for some it's no problem and may even be beneficial in that regard, but for others it stalls them. So it appears the jury's out?

I have just completed my 1st Whole30 and not lost a single pound, though I feel much better and am at the reintro stage. However, I've had issues with lack of sleep/insomnia for many months now and I know I'm drinking too much coffee ( with coconut milk ) to compensate. So it becomes a vicious circle, tired and wired is the new norm! : ( Was it the lack of sleep or the excess coffee consumption to blame? Who knows but my plan is to go de-caf next week and monitor things closely.

Or is it my new-found love of coconut that's gotten out of hand and is responsible? Munching on fresh coconut meat or blocks of creamed coconut ( 100% coconut only ) as snacks ( gotta compensate for the lack of dairy somehow! ). Maybe too much of a good thing backfires on you eventually.......

Anyways, I've researched why some people don't lose weight doin Paleo, ( I realise that topic has been done to death on here and elsewhere ) and I'm formulating a plan before I embark on the 21 day challenge next, but I would really appreciate people's opinions on the coffee thing as, I also enjoy my cuppa before a workout, tho maybe the effect is more psychological/placebo and it's just a case of breaking the habit. Any input would be great : )

Thankyou in advance. P.S I just wanna lose 7lbs and get some muscle definition ( aside from the myriad of health benefits of eating this way ). I'm female, 5ft 5ins and 70kg ( 154lbs ) Cheers

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Seems like your lack of sleep woukd be a MUCH bigger issue, although that can be caused by caffeine...when i quit caffeine, i tend to lose weight very quickly and feel less bloated-not sure if thats a sensitivity to coffee itself or just fixes my sleep, however.

mikekola is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazmo View Post
    Hi all, I was just wanting to know from people's personal experience, as I'm a newbie round here, if caffeine has interfered with anyone's weight - loss goals? Just doin a search online, it seems for some it's no problem and may even be beneficial in that regard, but for others it stalls them. So it appears the jury's out?

I have just completed my 1st Whole30 and not lost a single pound, though I feel much better and am at the reintro stage. However, I've had issues with lack of sleep/insomnia for many months now and I know I'm drinking too much coffee ( with coconut milk ) to compensate. So it becomes a vicious circle, tired and wired is the new norm! : ( Was it the lack of sleep or the excess coffee consumption to blame? Who knows but my plan is to go de-caf next week and monitor things closely.

Or is it my new-found love of coconut that's gotten out of hand and is responsible? Munching on fresh coconut meat or blocks of creamed coconut ( 100% coconut only ) as snacks ( gotta compensate for the lack of dairy somehow! ). Maybe too much of a good thing backfires on you eventually.......

Anyways, I've researched why some people don't lose weight doin Paleo, ( I realise that topic has been done to death on here and elsewhere ) and I'm formulating a plan before I embark on the 21 day challenge next, but I would really appreciate people's opinions on the coffee thing as, I also enjoy my cuppa before a workout, tho maybe the effect is more psychological/placebo and it's just a case of breaking the habit. Any input would be great : )

Thankyou in advance. P.S I just wanna lose 7lbs and get some muscle definition ( aside from the myriad of health benefits of eating this way ). I'm female, 5ft 5ins and 70kg ( 154lbs ) Cheers
    I tend to notice that whenever I'm consuming caffeine, my appetite is more... ravenous and I can't seem to be satisfied with the amount of food I'd normally take in. It just required a lot more self-discipline to stick to "reasonable" amounts
    For weight- I was able to lose both with and without caffeine in my diet.

There's one simple thing you can do instead of asking- quit drinking caffeinated beverages for, say, 30 days, and see how you feel, what's the deal with sleep and weight. It will do no harm at all

jasperb is offline Member
    Coffee hasn't interfered with my weight loss, but I rarely drink more than two cups a day.

Kazmo is offline Member
    Hi there, thanks everyone for your responses. Just wanted other people's take on the whole coffee thing but I reckon it's possibly a lack of sleep, exacerbated by too much coffee in the afternoon, that's putting a spanner in the works. I didn't know if I was consuming too much coconut either but my plan for next week is; de-caf coffee, quit nuts ( I'm greedy on the Nut Front! ) and stop buying in the creamed coconut blocks. I will reassess after 1 wk.
    Maybe some people can get away with eating more fat then others but I'll try and tackle the sleep thing primarily. Here's hoping, otherwise it gets a bit disheartening : /

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazmo View Post
    Or is it my new-found love of coconut that's gotten out of hand and is responsible? Munching on fresh coconut meat or blocks of creamed coconut ( 100% coconut only ) as snacks
    Any food is a powerful diurnal signal, so snacking can disrupt sleep patterns with or without the caffeine. I would try planning balanced regular mealtimes (3/day maximum).

My biggest sleep aid is leisure activity--a bicycle commute or night walk will guarantee a solid night for me.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Take your time and eliminate the potential factors you've already identified.

-Make sure you are not eating too many snacks and not over-eating in general (a lot of a little is still a lot). Even just a few days of calorie tracking can help with this.
    -Cut down on caffeine consumption or eliminate it entirely. Sounds like you're already planning on doing that.
    -Take steps towards a solid sleep schedule and give everything time. Giving up caffeine is not likely to resolve everything within one week, it may take longer, but it could still help.
    -Don't give up!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I don't think it's the caffeine. I think it's the crappy sleep. I really want to fix it but I don't know how... *rubs face* So tired...

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by codered5 View Post
    Seems like your lack of sleep woukd be a MUCH bigger issue, although that can be caused by caffeine...when i quit caffeine, i tend to lose weight very quickly and feel less bloated-not sure if thats a sensitivity to coffee itself or just fixes my sleep, however.
    I think your sleep is a huge issue. I believe sleep is one of the most important aspects of good health. If there is any possibility that your caffeine intake is causing your insomnia, which is very possible, I would tackle that aspect quickly.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Kazmo is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi thanks guys for your input I will keep you posted. I'm also on the hunt for an online tracker that is user - friendly ( not bloody Fitday where you need a spare 2 hrs to input your food for the day!! ) as I reckon an accurate breakdown of my macros over a few days ( obv inc cals cos they do count ultimately, right? ), would prove rather enlightening. It's better than always guestimating, especially with me not losing........
    I do have a sneaky suspicion I may have gone OTT with the fat. I eat it pretty generously ( read, with wanton abandon, lol ) and may have done the newbie thing of falling fowl of all the " Eat more fat to replace the carbs ", " Fat is good and is a source of energy " etc etc messages that prevail in all the books, blogs etc. But how much is too much? The various authors ( not just the Paleo people ) don't really mention a limit, they just tell you to eat it cos it won't make us fat blah, blah. I always thought, as long as the carbs were low, you won't get fat off fat. But I've read some places that you can, indeed, put weight on ( or stall ) with lots of fat. Hmmm, it's all a big self - experiment I guess. Sleep/caffeine issue 1st I think.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast