Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has caffeine stalled anybody's weight loss? Frustrated in Holland : / page 2

Demosthenes is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Creamed coconut is extremely calorically dense (655kcals/100g). Pure fat is 900cal/100g. I wouldn't snack on it if I were you.
    Love, peace, and bacon grease.

Kazmo is offline Member
    Bloody hell, really??!! I had no idea Ignorance is not always bliss, it seems.....I think I was under the false impression ( shamefully naive of me, I know ), that because it's natural, also high in fat and fibre ( therefore very satieting ) then it's OK to go ad lib on coconut. I only cook with coconut oil, eat fresh coconut, graze on creamed coconut and add the milk ( 18% fat ) to my hot drinks. Here's me thinking it's my main fuel source as I work out 3 - 4 days/wk and that fat, in leau of carbs, won't make me fat! I've got a lot to learn! Oh bollocks.........: / I have actually read the books, btw, but I still maintain they generally don't tell you to limit fats if weight loss is one of your goals, so off I go on a fat-tastic expedition....( when I say " books " I inc Atkins, Gary Taubes etc, not just the Paleo - sphere ). But 1st, back to the coffee/sleep challenge! Thankyou for that enlightening bombshell tho!

Gains is offline Junior Member
    caffiene and coffee tend to have a diurectic affect (makes you shed water and pee more) so I general it would make sense for you to hold less water weight.

Kazmo is offline Member
    Hi Gains, yes and that's def not a good thing is it? Changing over to de-caf today, reg bedtimes ( before 2230 ) with a relaxation CD thrown in, and also lowering of the coconut consumption ( eradicating nuts too as I could eat tonnes! ) and therefore decreasing fat intake as a result, this is the plan for this week. Then assess where we are. Also monitor intake using online tracker, over the course of a few days. I think the one on Atkins site is quicker to use than Fitday so I will crack on with that.
    Don't wanna go too low fat tho as you're meant to feel sh!t if you have lower carbs plus low fat. I guess it's about finding the ratios that work for me. Also, I realise Paleo - type diets aren't necessarily low carb but mine is as, if I'm not eating grains, plus I'm not a huge fan of fruit, aside from berries when they're in season, and no dairy, I'm naturally on the lower carb end of things by default. I'm not even bothered about starchy veg like sweet potatoes. I have a natural liking for low carb veggies, so that's useful. I have a high protein breakfast with veg and I can go do my kick-arse workout with plenty of energy. It's also a bonus that I am an anomoly of the female race, in that I don't possess a sweet tooth so no choc cravings here! Therefore, by and large, if I crack the sleep thing, I shouldn't really struggle to reach my health goals. That's the theory

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gains View Post
    caffiene and coffee tend to have a diurectic affect (makes you shed water and pee more) so I general it would make sense for you to hold less water weight.
    read this first: PLOS ONE: No Evidence of Dehydration with Moderate Daily Coffee Intake: A Counterbalanced Cross-Over Study in a Free-Living Population

Gains is offline Junior Member
    intersting stuff French fry. Thanks for the link.

only 4 mugs of 200 ml coffee? seems like a low dosage to me. I might be the exception at near a 1g of caffine several days a week but a 1l of coffee a day doesn't like much and would already be a 20% increase.

TQP
    TQP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazmo View Post
    Hi all, I was just wanting to know from people's personal experience, as I'm a newbie round here, if caffeine has interfered with anyone's weight - loss goals? Just doin a search online, it seems for some it's no problem and may even be beneficial in that regard, but for others it stalls them. So it appears the jury's out?

I have just completed my 1st Whole30 and not lost a single pound, though I feel much better and am at the reintro stage. However, I've had issues with lack of sleep/insomnia for many months now and I know I'm drinking too much coffee ( with coconut milk ) to compensate. So it becomes a vicious circle, tired and wired is the new norm! : ( Was it the lack of sleep or the excess coffee consumption to blame? Who knows but my plan is to go de-caf next week and monitor things closely.

Or is it my new-found love of coconut that's gotten out of hand and is responsible? Munching on fresh coconut meat or blocks of creamed coconut ( 100% coconut only ) as snacks ( gotta compensate for the lack of dairy somehow! ). Maybe too much of a good thing backfires on you eventually.......

Anyways, I've researched why some people don't lose weight doin Paleo, ( I realise that topic has been done to death on here and elsewhere ) and I'm formulating a plan before I embark on the 21 day challenge next, but I would really appreciate people's opinions on the coffee thing as, I also enjoy my cuppa before a workout, tho maybe the effect is more psychological/placebo and it's just a case of breaking the habit. Any input would be great : )

Thankyou in advance. P.S I just wanna lose 7lbs and get some muscle definition ( aside from the myriad of health benefits of eating this way ). I'm female, 5ft 5ins and 70kg ( 154lbs ) Cheers
    Too many calories. Those two above could easily be 1000+cals on their own daily. No matter how perfectly you eat, you still could be eating TOO MUCH.

It's not the coffee itself...it's what you've been adding to it.

(I love coconut btw, but you're just eating too much of it)
    JOURNAL.

Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Favorite Smoothies Recipes!)

Professional Style Website. (Latest features: Andrea, Random House Author; Tara, Digital Media Producer)

Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.- Karl Lagerfeld

Kazmo is offline Member
    TQP, thanks for your response. It's great to come on here, as a newbie, and get advice from those further down the road, as it were. I shall def be utilising the knowledge of those more experienced than myself in the future! Midweek I'll begin the Primal B.P 21 day challenge proper, I'll just get the other reintroductions out the way 1st. Still gonna give proper coffee a wide berth tho, as I feel it warrants a decent trial to see if things improve without it. It's probably not a good idea to get dependent on anything, whether it be coffee or coconut! Yes I'm beginning to see the error of my ways

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Get some night-time tea, like chamomile or a blend (loose leaf preferably) and add some gelatin to it (I use beef gelatin) and drink it before bed. Get used to reading a book or doing anything other than watching TV/using a phone/tablet before bed. Attack the lack of sleep problem first and foremost.

read this Wrecking your diet, one night at a time | Strength & Science

Sleep is CRUCIAL. I would definitely cut back on coffee as well, and if you're tired during the day and you have time for it, NAP.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Adrenal fatigue is a bitch.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast