Thread: Vitamin D and Blood Pressure? page

M!chael is offline Member

Vitamin D and Blood Pressure?

Hi Everybody

Well Primal is going well for me, lost weight and feeling fitter and stronger but . . .

I've had high Blood Pressure for a while and want to get it down to the Normal range (below 140/90 is this a good target to aim for?)

So have been measuring it, 4 times a day for a week each month and taking an average to give me one figure a month (by the way I think this is important as there is wide variation between individual readings) results are:-

November: 142/99
    December: 139/96
    January: 135/95
    February: 136/92

March: 143/99
    April: 143/99

So, all trending in the right direction until February, expecting to hit normal in the spring, then back to where I started!

I've been trying to figure out why as my diet and exercise has remained similar throughout, and the only thing I could think of is vitamin D.

I took a 4,000 unit pill a day from November to early March then stopped when the sun appeared. But this being England UVB levels are low (at best) and even when I have got out, its been T shirt weather at best, not got my shirt off yet, and (while white) I'm quite dark, could pass for Spanish/Italian.

So I remembered a U-Tube I had seen a while back linking high blood pressure to lack of vitamin D and am thinking this may be the answer and I should get back on the pills until proper summer (if we get one) and get back on them in September.

So a sample size of 1, not very scientific, but it might get some of you thinking.

Any thoughts on . . .

Am I right?
    If not what else could it be?
    Any other specific tips for getting blood pressure down, other than "be more primal"?
    Is "Normal" the target to aim for? How much better is "Optimal" (<120/80)? I'm 45.

Michael

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    This video is extremely relevant:

Four Things Your Doctor Didn&#39;t Tell You About High Blood Pressure! - YouTube

The D connection to blood pressure is discussed somewhat.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

M!chael is offline Member
    Thanks, that was the U-Tube I was referring to, I've just watched it again.

I'll see if I can get a Vitamin D test to find out my level, and if it's low I'll up my sunlight and pills and get another one done in a few months.

Michael

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Vitamin D is one of a bazillion things that MAY have modest effect on hypertension. If you poke around on pubmed there are some studies. There is a medical manual that even mentions it (it's a medical manual on hypertension, female doctor... drawing a blank on the title or name of doctor).
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz