Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood sugar level problem! page

cress is offline Junior Member

Blood sugar level problem!

Shop Now
    Hi all i'm new to the forum - and in the UK. I need some help with my diet please! I put on alot of weight when i was pregnant with my 3rd child...afterwards i gave up sugary things...and then i started the blood type diet (type o) and gave up wheat and potatoes. I was tired a lot and was always though from one carb fix to another or one caffeine fix to another. I started getting palpitations so gave up caffeine. I felt exhausted though ....and then I went paleo and then I ended up here. The problem i have is that any carbs seem to spike my sugar level - not high but enough to make it then crash - i gave up all carbs and fruit as that just made me dizzy and sick - I still felt tired a lot of the time (low carb flu maybe) and constipated - so i introduced some spelt crackers as i still couldn't eat fruit - i felt great yesterday -only had 3 crackers which comes to about 24g carbs. I did get a little dizzy after the last cracker though. today my sugar level is all over the place - I've been eating protein, meat and eggs, veg and salad, nuts and almond flour muffin to try and get it balanced. TBH this whole thing is a nightmare! I think going low carb has made me extremely hypoglycemic and im trying to find the right balance. I have to be quite active cos of 3 kids so i need some carbs but i can't eat fruit right now. Any suggestions what to do? Or anyone else had the problem? thanks! (p.s. i can't eat carrots, i think macadamia nuts were too sugary for me recently too)

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    How do you know your blood sugars are all over the place?

Are you measuring them?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Yes i have a glucose monitor - i ve been checking it when i get shaky or dizzy etc and it all adds up to hypoglycemia.

eats.meats.west is online now Senior Member

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I have a simple statement....

If your body is kicking back fruit, something which every human ancestor ate and thrived on, you need to be looking somewhere else entirely. That is NOT normal.

That all said, it is massively simplistic to use a glucose monitor to attempt to decipher the way that your body is processing glucose. It is really rather simple, in that the body is either resistant to high blood sugar conditions, or it is not. True hypoglycemia is very rare, and it is extremely dangerous to the point of death. No glucose/ketone processing = no brain fuel = death. It is a word that gets thrown around far too much. A glucose monitor is useful for some cases, but it is always just a snapshot....if you are truly concerned, I would get an A1c, take it fasted, etc. A little bit of information in this stuff can be a dangerous thing.

A person that has decent caloric needs, is active and has a healthy metabolism is going to feel like trash if they attempt to subsist on a low fat, low carb diet. It is the classic "paleo trap", and it is very adept at making people feel like roadkill.

I would keep the protein high, and use fibrous/resistant carbs to make up the difference. If eating an apple makes someone sick, the solution is not to avoid apples. It is to find out why something so classically human is making them sick. Just saying....

As for feeling dizzy or shaking, there are about a million other things that could be responsible other than glucose processing. In a normal system there is no reason why sugar, high or low, would be causing a symptom like that.

Overall, I think you need to get this stuff truly investigated.
    Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 04-24-2014 at 03:25 PM.
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

What are the actual readings and what medications are you on?

And when are you going to your doctor?

i went to doctor - everything seemed normal. did heart check. waiting for blood test results but no sign of diabetes.
    my readings one day went from 8 down to 1.9 after a meal which had me worried. if i don't eat high sugar veg or starches it ranges from 6.5 to 4.8 which is normal - its just the rate at which it changes which i believe is causing the probs. anyway thanks for your replies! will try the cooled sweet potatoes...

Diabetes is insulin not working or being produced.
    Are you cleaning your fingers before testing?
    If so what with? Alcohol wipes can give false low readings.
    At 1.9 you should have been near unconscious.

yes i felt like i was going to fall over - i quickly ate some sprouted wheat bread... i think my adrenaline also kicked in cos i was scared. i found this which i am looking into...
    665: LLVLC Classic – Dr. Keith Berkowitz On Low-Carb And Reactive Hypoglycemia | The Livin La Vida Low-Carb Show
    my aim is to be able to enjoy the primal diet - i love choc and red wine and fruit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast