Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Hmm, I'll take this path... page

Meant2Move is offline Senior Member

Hmm, I'll take this path...

This way please... yes, visitors are always welcome.

Years ago I realized that someday I was going to be old and figuring there was really no escape, I decided to start making changes that would make getting older less... unpleasant. I mean really, aging is a natural process, but the way we do it in the US is just not someplace I want to go. Those chronic diseases of western civilization, depression, dementia - no thank you! This all started a little over 10 years ago, I was either 40 or close to it.

I started small by reducing processed foods and French fries - don't know why, but I was far too fond of French fries and really, there is just no redeeming quality to be found in them. Anyway, since then, there has been a long series of changes and figuring out what works for me. There have been missteps along the way, a failed attempt to fix female hormonal issues with Zoloft, and a struggle with jelly beans that re-emerges now and then.

I really feel that I've been on a very positive path both mentally and physically for the past couple of years, mostly as a result of reading some books that caused me to try something different and that resulted in positive changes:
    - I have learned that for me daily exercise is not optional. I need to move every day. I am happiest doing a mix of cardio and weight training. I don't follow a program, I follow my whim, although if I have an opportunity to do something outdoors and with my husband, T, that always comes first!
    - As far as food, the best, most important thing I've ever done is try wheat elimination. I cannot believe what a difference that made in my life - some physical, but mostly to my brain chemistry. I've been mostly wheat-free since August 2012, and frankly it saved my marriage and my sanity. At this point I am mostly grain free as well.
    - Another essential to my well being seems to be regular servings of yogurt. Those active cultures are good for the brain and the gut (which in fact are very closely linked)
    - I would call my diet modified primal: I mostly eat eggs, cheese, poultry/pork, some fish (no beef for political reasons), yogurt, nuts, gobs of veggies and lots of fruit, a little whole milk (Danish ancestry means I have no lactose intolerance issues), and half&half in my totally essential daily coffee.

I am the director of an IT support organization and typically end up in front of a computer for 8-9 hours a day. Add to that 2 hours of commuting each day and I am more sedentary than I would like to be. Again, that exercise is essential! It also helps me maintain a degree of fitness so that I can play as hard as I want to on the weekends.

Current stats:
    50 year old female
    5' 7", typical weight 135 - 139, last BF measurement was 16% by caliper
    Have been focused on a slooooow body reconfiguration - less fat, more muscle, maintain weight

So, this is my story...

Yours in good health,

M2M

I weigh in daily - have been doing it for years and I know very well it is just a number and therefore subject to change. I don't fret about daily fluctuations, I just log it and pay some attention to the trend. Summer the number is usually a bit lower, winter, a bit higher. Since I'm new here, I just wanted to get that out in the open.

Have a good audiobook going at the moment and couldn't bring myself to stop listening when I reached the gym, so headed onto the Stairmaster. It should have been a weights day but I'm taking it easy this week as we have a 26 mile hike in the Grand Canyon planned for the weekend and I don't want to have sore legs! Yes, I could have done upper body work but... the book was calling me.

Level 10 for 30 minutes, then bumped up to level 11 for the last 5, 35 total and 199 floors climbed. I really need to push myself to do more at L11...

Food today:
    2 eggs with ham slice scrambled in butter
    milk with sups
    coffee with 1 sugar and half & half x 3
    3 slices of pepperoni
    1 cheese stick
    1 cup Greek yogurt with a pile of strawberries and blueberries
    Salad: 4 cups of raw veggies with sour cream and salsa for dressing and sliced chicken

Didn't eat my apple or the other cheese stick

jenna is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! I love your attitude and approach to life. Very similar to mine. :-)

bullymama is offline Senior Member
    Nice to see you on the boards!
    Lucky you…hiking in the GC sounds awesome. Love your town of Flagstaff, btw. It's quite beautiful there.

Hedonist2 is online now Senior Member
    Welcome! Good luck on primal.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I was a member of another forum for quite a long time, and when it went kaput, well I found I really missed being part of a community.

@bullymama - yes, I am incredibly lucky to have the Grand Canyon as my backyard! We try to take advantage of it often. Our plan for Sunday is the Grandview trail to the river and out, we call it the "Grandview marathon" as it works out to be about 26 miles round trip. DH warned me this morning that he expects to be sloooow climbing out. Who cares? It's hard to have a bad day in such a magical place!

137.4 It is going to be a "hungry" day I think. Happily, I have lots of good stuff nearby so I'm ready.

We did a wonderful trail run from the house this morning, one we haven't done in ages - since last autumn I guess. It was chilly (25F) so hard to resist the urge to overdress. Happily, I got to try out a new pair of Nike tights I found on clearance recently. I hadn't expected to use them until next winter. And the tights were good - what's with tights that don't have a drawstring? Can anyone keep them up when actually using them?

Garmin says 4.37 miles, avg of 10:11/mile, 44:30, cals 426, avg HR 157, max HR 170.

Felt better on this run than the last 2 runs have and my HR was lower. Finally getting the body re-acquainted with trail running after mostly taking the winter off from all running.

Food for the day:
    eggs scrambled with ham in butter
    Greek yogurt with fresh strawberries and frozen blueberries
    2 slices of pepperoni
    string cheese
    apples
    coffee with cream/sugar

Brought some turkey chili, an avocado, and the last of the really outstanding potato salad I made on Sunday for later, but am having vague urges toward Chipotle... will see what the day brings and whether I need to get away for a time.

I've been happily eating FAGE Greek for a couple of years and my favorite local store has decided not to carry dairy products from "confinement dairies" any longer. I appreciate that notion and was dismayed to learn that my beloved FAGE would be dropped... First challenge is just finding another full fat Greek, seems every product the store has brought in as a replacement is low fat or no fat. Really?? I've got zero use for that. Current test is Straus Family Creamery plain Greek and sadly, it is not very yummy. If there isn't a bit of fruit in every bite it is just about inedible. Poo!

There is an employee performance issue I need to address... going to be a bad couple of hours.

M2M

margalott is offline Senior Member
    Hey there, welcome!
    I'd normally say good luck but you seem to have the whole primal " thing" down!

Re tights: I have yet to find ANY running pants that I don't have to re-adjust while jogging. If you say nike makes solid tights for running, maybe I"ll invest in a pair once I quit changing sizes/body shape.

Quote Originally Posted by margalott View Post
    Hey there, welcome!
    I'd normally say good luck but you seem to have the whole primal " thing" down!

Re tights: I have yet to find ANY running pants that I don't have to re-adjust while jogging. If you say nike makes solid tights for running, maybe I"ll invest in a pair once I quit changing sizes/body shape.
    Thanks! These tights were in the men's part of the store, but I often find I am happier with men's bottoms since they tend not to be so focused on "fashion" but instead on "function". I have a booty, but narrow waist and no belly so most women's clothes gap terribly at the waist. It just isn't a good look for me.

It sounds as if you are on a journey - good luck in finding what works well for you.
    M2M

"Nonspecific strength gains have to be converted into real improvements in athletic performance or they are not useful."
    - Training for the New Alpinism by Steve House and Scott Johnston

Primal Journal: Hmm, I'll take this path...

138.0 I've skipped any weight training this week and was really missing it by this morning. Since I brought home drinking water yesterday, I got to start off my morning with farmer carries: 50 lbs each hand for 50 steps, 2 repeats.

Drove to the gym and focused on upper body work as I'm still saving my legs for the planned weekend hike. (T suggested I do a bunch of lunges so I would be sore and slower as he is totally convinced he will be slow on the big hike up from the river. Would be great if he is wrong about that, I would much rather power up the hill, but whatever.)

Pullups: 6, 3, 4, 3, 4
    Dips (very pleased to report I was able to go deeper today): 3 sets of 5
    Back extensions: 3 sets of 10 with 15lbs
    Landmine twisters: 3 sets of 8 each side (getting more twist on these and really feeling it in the mid-low muscles in my back)
    Inverted rows 2 sets of 8
    Capt chair leg raises: 2 sets of 8
    T2B: kind of an afterthought so only 5, didn't have enough grip left
    Cable calf: 2x15@240lbs

Didn't have much time today so called that good.

Have the usual food for today:
    scrambled eggs, milk, coffee for breakfast
    big salad (4 cups of cut veggies) for lunch topped with sour cream, salsa, and roasted chicken
    boiled egg
    string cheese
    apples
    yogurt with strawberries and blueberries

After I choke this dish down, there is just 1 more serving of the icky yogurt. Going back to Fage for next week as it will be hard enough to be traveling without having to deal with yucky yogurt!

My head is just nasty muzzy - allergies seem to be smacking me again.
    M2M

"Nonspecific strength gains have to be converted into real improvements in athletic performance or they are not useful."

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I probably should have just left work today, not sure I accomplished anything of value - well, maybe just a little bit... I just focused on things that needed to be done but that didn't require a lot of brain power. Definitely did not touch the budget spreadsheets!

Ended up having some ice cream this afternoon - why oh why did I buy it the other day? Considering it was that or another bag of jellybeans, the ice cream (pint of organic mint chocolate chip) was the better choice. At least I've had my treat and I'll be less tempted to pick up something at the store this evening. Got to decide on what to cook for yummy leftovers this week. I'll be on the road Tuesday - Friday so will leave something good in the fridge for T and I like to take stuff with me where possible.

No storm yet, but the chance of snow for tomorrow is pegged at 100%. That is far more definite than the NWS usually is. Still, only 1-3 inches so it shouldn't impact our hike on Sunday. I like that about spring storms - snow and then it is gone. Actually weatherbug is saying 3-6. We should take the yaktrax in case the top of the trail is icy.
    M2M

Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast