Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And not a single pull up was seen that day....WTH ! page

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member

Unhappy And not a single pull up was seen that day....WTH !

Primal Fuel
    The voiceover makes this funny stuff but I still find it sad that people are being taught to do these..........my rotator cuff aches just from watching the video !

And the same abomination with Dips !

JimmyDamage is offline Senior Member
    What is the definition of beating a dead horse? Discussing Butterfly/Kipping/Crossfit pull up methodology.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDamage View Post
    What is the definition of beating a dead horse? Discussing Butterfly/Kipping/Crossfit pull up methodology.
    And what amazing new topic can you come up with....oh lets think, there are none....end of forum eh !

Didn't mean to be offensive, It's just going to be the same arguments or crossfit bashing.

Didn't mean to be offensive, It's just going to be the same arguments or crossfit bashing.
    I'd not seen those particular video's before but they were posted on my FB page this morning and the commentary made me smile.I'd still like to hear from a legitimate Cross fitter their justification for using such form other than simply to get more reps, or is there none ?

The short answer is that Butterfly (the first 100) are for competitions so you can do more pull ups. I don't do them because I feel the injury risk is too high. Strict pull ups are for strength and will typically be programmed outside of a timed "WOD" and will not be included in many competitions, if any. Kipping (About the last 5-6 besides the last one) are the middle ground and I do these in WODS and competitions. They allow you to do more work in a shorter time and are safe. If you are going for metabolic conditioning they work better. If you want to get stronger they do not work, that's why I do strict pull ups.

The short answer is that Butterfly (the first 100) are for competitions so you can do more pull ups. I don't do them because I feel the injury risk is too high. Strict pull ups are for strength and will typically be programmed outside of a timed "WOD" and will not be included in many competitions, if any. Kipping (About the last 5-6 besides the last one) are the middle ground and I do these in WODS and competitions. They allow you to do more work in a shorter time and are safe. If you are going for metabolic conditioning they work better. If you want to get stronger they do not work, that's why I do strict pull ups.
    But why not just do the most strict pull ups in a minute or however long the WOD is, if the rules insisted on strict form then it would still be an even playing field no ?

I think because, from a judges standpoint, it would be very difficult to judge a true "strict". Almost everyone uses just a little bit of body or a tiny swing of the legs to get that last rep. Where do you draw the line? Probably pretty similar story about how the overhead press used to be an Olympic lift but got to hard to judge. You can do any form of pull up in a comp or a "WOD" unless it says otherwise because the only standards are you go from a dead hand to your chin over the bar (which I think spealer in the video doesn't get a few times). I'm a huge fan of pullups obviously from being on these boards and I will say there is a pretty strong correlation to how many strict vs how many kipping/butterfly pullups you can do. I'd wager the dude in the first video could do more strict pullups than any one of us here.. outside of Al Kavadlo of course!

d-roc is offline Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast