Thread: a journal from the hills page

fromthehillz is offline Junior Member

a journal from the hills

Primal Fuel
    Hello fellas. I will start a Primal Journal from now on and log my activities and my food intake.

Some information on my person. I am a 30 year old male from a small village in the Fichtelgebirge ("Fichtelhills") in Bavaria. From 4-18 I played soccer and didn't have many weight issues. As a child I suffered from neurodermatitis and asthma, but both went away while I was in the puberty.

At the age of 18 I suffered 2 difficult knee injuries over a half year span and had to stop playing soccer. Over the years I stopped doing sports entirely. I always had bad eating habits. Fast food (pizza, kebab, burgers, ...), sweets, baked goods and lots of alcohol (at the weekends) were staples of my diet. I never was a small person, at 180 cm I didn't weigh less than 80-82 while playing soccer.

But after I stopped doing sports my weight started to climb the ladder, slowly but steadily. 3 years ago, my neurodermitis had a comeback in the meantime (a really heavy comeback), I decided that something had to change. I browsed the internet for solutions, tried different things until I found some food tweaks which helped me cure the neurodermitis without cortisone. I had to use cortisone cremes in barrels before! As a side effect I lost some weight and until 2012 I got down to about 90 kg from a highest weight of 110.

My tweaks were quite easy: concentrate on whole food and lots of vegetables/salads, reduce sweets and fast food as well as alcohol at the weekends. Doing so I was able to hold my weight at about 90 kg and stop my neurodermitis. My food choices where quite Primal. Funny thing was that I didn't know of Primal, but I was eating like that. And from 2012 on I started to move more and started weight lifting, so I got even more Primal. In 2013 I found Mark's Daily Apple and everything started to make sense.

In August 2013 I was able to reduce my body weight to the lowest weight in maybe 15 or 16 years, to 79 kg. Although I continued to do sports I got a little bit lazy lately. I didn't move enough and instead of eating Primal 90% of the time, I was eating Primal only 40-50% of the time over the last weeks because of various reasons, but mainly because of my laziness. The result was a whopping weight gain and my scale showed me 87 kg this morning.

I wanna use this journal to track my activity and food intake. My goal is to go down to at least 80 kg until August. I have a lot of cutting experience so in general I should be able to reduce my weight easily. But we all have our demons, which I want to fight via this Journal.

I will move more, exercise with weights 3 times per week and eat Primal 90% of the time. I will count calories, too. Without counting calories I tend to allow me too much.

Today I was visiting Bamberg with my girlfriend. It's a town in Bavaria which is known for its old fashioned buildings, its Cathedral and some other things. It was a very nice day. Weather was fine and we enjoyed the sightseeing very much.

For lunch we visited a local restaurant. I had a very big green salad with some little pieces of Franconian Bratwurst. Was really very tasty. Loved it. I used my mobile phone to track how many kilometers we walked through the city and we ended up by about 10 km.

In the evening we arrived at home. First I went to my local butcher and to a grocery store, after that I went to the gym to get in my workout.
    It consisted of:
    - squats 85 kg x 5 sets of 5
    - barbell bench press 75 x 5 sets of 5
    - t-bar rows 67,5 x 3 sets of 8
    - preacher curl machine and lateral raises machine each 3 sets of 8

For dinner I ate a huge serving of spinach with coconut milk and spices and two big chicken breasts with rice in a sauce consisting of coconut milk and spices. After that I rounded it up with an apple and some almonds.

As I said I count calories, but I am a guy who likes to simplify things and therefore I do not count greens, veggies or salad (but I do count dressing). All in all I only got in about 1800-1900 calories, which is fairly low. I will use this as a kick start for my calorie restricted diet and I aim for more calories in the following days. In general I will eat more carbs when I am more active.

Over the last 3 days I ate 100% primal. Results have shown off quickly, as I got some movement in and enjoyed the nice weather over the last few days.
    Weight is already down to 84.2 kg, which is a massive drop for so few days. I start feeling a little bit a lack in overall motivation, so either I have to adapt to this low amount of calories or I should eat more fats. But we will see.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hello, hillz! Welcome to the journal area of the MDA!

My cousin has neurodermatitis, too, but I don't know what she does for it nowadays. She is a yoga instructor in Fulda, so I think she yogas it into submission. I am sorry to hear that you are suffering a relapse.

I understand all about laziness - I am a current victim of it! The visit to Bamberg sounds great - I always loved visiting towns, too. My last was Marburg, in 2012, for the Weihnachtsmarkt. Glühwein for me, yay!

What does your girlfriend think of Primal, and what do you do with all the bread?? Hope you have a good Primal day!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC