Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with stomach cramps... page

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

Help with stomach cramps...

Shop Now
    Hey all

All my life I could eat whatever I wanted without issue. Even the junkiest of junk food never caused me any pain. I just turned 29, and for the past month or so, I've been having some pretty strong stomach cramps after eating certain foods. The pain starts around 20-30 mins after eating and at its worst has lasted for 5 hours, never less than 3. I'm testing out different foods to find the culprit. So far, the 2 worst cases happened after eating pineapple, about a cup's worth, and ONE banana (on separate occasions) I should mention that those are the only things I ate and was on an empty stomach both times. In the past, bananas would make me go to the bathroom faster, but never cause any pain or discomfort.

Other foods I've noticed caused discomfort, though much milder than the pineapple or banana incidents: kale (lacinato, in case it matters), mixed berries in kefir (couldn't even finish it), spinach and/or cauliflower (had both in one meal)

and that's all that's coming to mind.

foods I tried to see what would happen and nothing did: white rice, black beans, a quarter of a melon, an apple.

DIAGNOSE AWAY.

My diet is about 80% primal, kinda low-carb ish (especially lately that I'm starting to get scurred of veggies) but not so much. I have rice or potatoes at least once a week when visiting my parents, but generally when I cook for myself I make protein and fat a priority and round up some low-carb veggies to go with it. I do make some potatoes or sweet potato puree for myself about once every two weeks (and I'll have that for a few meals) so I wouldn't consider myself VLC, but definitely less carb than "normal" people.

My homeboy Chocotaco told me to maybe up the carbs, I'm okay with that because they're delicious, but I want to get other opinions.

I'm also planning on going to a doctor soon if the issue persists, and I still plan on eating certain foods daily to see what is causing it. I'm taking a probiotic and eating saurkraut, drinking kefir and stuff to see if it's a microbe issue or what...

Thanks for the feedback!
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

gdot is online now Senior Member
    Personally, I would consider your diet to be very low carb. It sounds like you eat essentially no carbs except once or twice a week. I'm not saying it's unhealthy - it may or may not be depending on your exercise level and how much body fat you carry.

I think you are on the right track with the probiotics and to keep eating these foods that are giving you a little trouble. Eat them in small quantities and along with some of the carbs you can tolerate. Your ability to digest them should increase with a little time.

I agree with choco - that you probably will feel better in general with a higher carb intake (unless you are getting no exercise at all.)

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Lemme ask you something...do you use any NSAID pain relievers like ibuprofen or aspirin? Or any Rx'd or OTC meds?
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

@gdot, I'm pretty active. I actually follow a program that has me training twice per day 6 days a week, but I don't always hit both sessions. Still, I'd definitely consider myself pretty active. I haven't thought about my diet much in a while, got used to how I eat, but I guess I am fairly low carb now that I think about it. I'll mess with having more daily carbs, or having bigger "refeeds." As for body fat, I'm 5'7 and can see upper abs most of the time, but have some bloating around the mid-section. I guess that could also be attributed to low carb, like I'm too stressed or something? I've also been sprinting a little bit more on top of all my other activity (working from home allows me the luxury to train a few times per day) I weigh about 164 right now, but don't have a ton of upper body fat. It mostly gathers around the midsection and legs... could that be like a cortisol issue or something? I'm not sure exactly what my BF% is, I'd guess somewhere between 14-18%? which has been constant for a couple of months.

I'm thinking of trying to eat more carbs for a few days/weeks even though gaining fat is definitely a concern for me but I think with my activity level it probably won't happen so fast.

The troubling thing is that, I've eaten this way for a while and never had a problem, but I guess some manifestations of self-imposed restrictions could be coming up now...

@tatertot, no, not really. I did have to do a round of antibiotics about 2 weeks ago, but it's not the first time I've had to do that and had no problems in the past. I'm upping the pre and probiotic foods as a result though, sounds like a good idea in general.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 04-22-2014 at 12:10 PM.

gdot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    @gdot, I'm pretty active. I actually follow a program that has me training twice per day 6 days a week, but I don't always hit both sessions. Still, I'd definitely consider myself pretty active. I haven't thought about my diet much in a while, got used to how I eat, but I guess I am fairly low carb now that I think about it. I'll mess with having more daily carbs, or having bigger "refeeds." As for body fat, I'm 5'7 and can see upper abs most of the time, but have some bloating around the mid-section. I guess that could also be attributed to low carb, like I'm too stressed or something? I've also been sprinting a little bit more on top of all my other activity (working from home allows me the luxury to train a few times per day) I weigh about 164 right now, but don't have a ton of upper body fat. It mostly gathers around the midsection and legs... could that be like a cortisol issue or something? I'm not sure exactly what my BF% is, I'd guess somewhere between 14-18%? which has been constant for a couple of months.

I'm thinking of trying to eat more carbs for a few days/weeks even though gaining fat is definitely a concern for me but I think with my activity level it probably won't happen so fast.

The troubling thing is that, I've eaten this way for a while and never had a problem, but I guess some manifestations of self-imposed restrictions could be coming up now...

@tatertot, no, not really. I did have to do a round of antibiotics about 2 weeks ago, but it's not the first time I've had to do that and had no problems in the past. I'm upping the pre and probiotic foods as a result though, sounds like a good idea in general.
    Digestion is just like anything else - use it, or loose it. But [/I]that antibiotic almost undoubtably contributed to your current discomfort.[/I]

I think your idea to add some carbs back in every few days is a good one. Especially given your activity level. If you start to add 'fluff' around the middle you can always pull back hard and go VLC for a little bit to burn it off.

Personally, I like going VLC during the day and eating most of my carbs at night. This seems to insure that I don't overdo the carbs and seems to keep me in fat burning mode. YMMV

You might consider not training more than once a day - seems less than worthwhile. If you are stressed out adding more stress to your body is probably not worth it.

All in all it seems to me you are doing very well - hang in there! Life sucks when your gut is unhappy. But it's not going to last forever.

Yeah I'm thinking the antibiotics definitely did not help, so i'm working to repopulate the gut. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try eating more carbs at night too.

kathleen is online now Senior Member
    You could go in for food allergy testing. I developed food allergies in my 20s, mild-to-moderate food allergies, which would cause stomach pain for hours as well as bloating, indigestion, itchy skin and the occasional asthma bout.

I can't explain *why* I so suddenly developed these allergies, but the way you describe how you feel reminds me of how I felt before I got the testing done.

By the way: I tried the elimination thing, and thought it was *dairy* because everything I ate with dairy (cheese, milk, yogurt) contained something I turned out to be allergic to (wheat, oats, rye, barley, sesame seeds, peanuts, tree nuts, soybeans). Even if I had milk and coffee, turns out the coffee was roasted with hazelnuts. Elimination is hard work, it's easier to just go get an answer by doing blood work.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Energy! is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Hey all

All my life I could eat whatever I wanted without issue. Even the junkiest of junk food never caused me any pain. I just turned 29, and for the past month or so, I've been having some pretty strong stomach cramps after eating certain foods. The pain starts around 20-30 mins after eating and at its worst has lasted for 5 hours, never less than 3. I'm testing out different foods to find the culprit. So far, the 2 worst cases happened after eating pineapple, about a cup's worth, and ONE banana (on separate occasions) I should mention that those are the only things I ate and was on an empty stomach both times. In the past, bananas would make me go to the bathroom faster, but never cause any pain or discomfort.

Other foods I've noticed caused discomfort, though much milder than the pineapple or banana incidents: kale (lacinato, in case it matters), mixed berries in kefir (couldn't even finish it), spinach and/or cauliflower (had both in one meal)

and that's all that's coming to mind.

foods I tried to see what would happen and nothing did: white rice, black beans, a quarter of a melon, an apple.
    Occasionally I go through periods of weird bloating/pain soon after eating and usually taking a Beano tablet seems to help. Even if the meal didn't include beans. Or, try digestive enzymes with meals until things normalize. With me it isn't necessarily a particular food, just that something has gone awry for a time so lots of foods bother me, then it fixes itself. I would avoid problem foods until things settle down. Not sure if any of this applies but just my 2¢.

It seems issues are subsiding a lot, so I'll chuck it up to antibiotics, thanks all!

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Lemme ask you something...do you use any NSAID pain relievers like ibuprofen or aspirin? Or any Rx'd or OTC meds?
    I'm curious to how much NSAIDs disrupt the gut, especially the bacteria. I've had to take naproxen for a few 4 week bouts over the last year. I always took them with food though as they can cause ulcers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast