Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eve's Journal page

evesgarden is offline Junior Member

Eve's Journal

Primal Fuel
    So I got on this forum for some accountability and support and so far I've mostly just lurked. But here-goes...this is gonna be long.

My primal back-story...
    Growing up I was a picture of health. While my family lived on McDonald's and Ritz, I always chose the more nutrient dense options. I was active, biking my childhood away and in competition swimming through highschool. I stayed that way for a long time. Then I got married. And because dh is a picky eater and because we were quite poor for the first 7 years, I began to eat like him and his family-his family who are all obese, who all have diabeties or heart disease or...). That lead to sleeping like him (as in a back and forth cycle of insomnia and weekend catch up) and exercise like him (nothing). Then babies came...4 of them. I gained 10 "permanent" pounds each, bringing me up to 160. Then the super-birth control (because the normal stuff OBVIOUSLY didn't work) shot me up another 20. All this time I didn't realize what was happening..until I went to buy a dress for my brother in law's wedding. Holy crap.

So I got a gym membership and started "the diets." First, raw almost vegetarian (eggs and fish) and lost 10 lbs but wanted to eat an elephant and I gained it all back within days. Then Body for Life. Then the one where you eat fruits in the morning, starches in the afternoon, and protein at night (that lasted all of three days), then any new book i could get at the library, then weight watchers...I never cheated and nothing worked and the more I tried the worse I felt.

So I got a trainer who said there was no way I was eating the way I was and exercising the way I was, and not dropping the weight, that I was lying. Call your client a liar. Awesome. That's a sure way to get fired. In the end I put on another 15 lbs of straight up fat...and at this point everyone had an openion.

To trouble shoot I went to the dr for blood work. I'm thinking thyroid at this point. My thyroid was fine but I was anemic, d deficient, pulling calcium out of my bones. ..I was malnourished! I was eating "perfectly" and was still malnourished.

Then we were watching "bizarre foods" and they were visiting indigenous tribes in Africa and I said to my husband, "Look how healthy they are!"

So after doing some research, I decided to go primal in January of 13. I lost 35 lbs in 6 weeks...added Pilates and lost another 5 in the next 2. And more importantly, I felt amazing. But then came a side effect I wasnt prepared for. I got pregnant, unexpectedly, with tripplets.

Then just as unexpectedly, my progesterone levels dropped. I lost two of them, and they put me on high mg progesterone pills and bedrest in hopes of saving the third. My husband took over the cooking and grocery shopping which primarily consisted of frozen pizza and packaged potatoes. Now we have a beautiful 5th child.

Here I am, a year after we lost the two, and I've finally cleared the junk out of the house...and unlike last year, my family isn't balking at the lack of chips and icecream...and dh even planned an active vacation (hiking through moab) and stopped bringing home take out...but I'm struggling to not go on a sprite and granola binge. I spent the last three weeks with strep, so that didnt help either.

I'm currently 165 and 5'4". I haven't measured my body fat in a while but that's the # I'm most concerned about.

I have carpal tunnel so that makes "lifting heavy things" more difficult. My exercise includes chasing after/playing with kids and dogs, hauling feed bags (literally, 50 lb bags of animal feed), and occasional Pilates. Now that the weather is good we'll start walking.

Normal food is

Coffee with cream and nuts or an egg when I get hungry in the morning

sauteed or raw veg in the afternoon with tuna or leftover meat from the night before (though I struggle with not granola bar bingeing at this time...must find satisfying snack substitute)

Meat, green veg, starchy veg, and salad in the evening.

My goal is to eat 80/20 primal with 15% of the 20 being clean and the remaining 5 for social reasons (restaurants/families houses dont wanna be "that girl" since the vegan relatives already take that role) or condiments (seriously dont know if I can get away from soy sauce, etc in cooking).

Today I was extra hungry upon waking and had the usual (eggs and coffee) plus coconut and strawberries. ..feeling much less hungry than normal.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Good luck. You know that Primal works for you. You can do it!

May I add, that I am sorry for your loss.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

bullymama is offline Senior Member
    Hi Eve, I was very touched by your story and I'm sorry for your loss. It really sounds like you are back on track and I wish you the very best. Looking forward to following you on your road to great health!

Thanks, both of you.

Yesterday I got in some exercise, had a sandwich with leftover pork roast on homemade bread in an attempt to not sugar-binge later. It worked. Had steak and stir fry for dinner. Went to bed super early.

Today (I know. How boring) is grocery shopping day. Exercise, pushing a cart for an hr. Had a large breakfast to avoid grocery store pitfalls...but ended up buying small coffee shop coffee because my teenager took the last cup without asking (seriously, ya give 'em an inch!) and I had a caffeine withdrawal headache. Gotta switch to tea, but it's just not the same. The coffee gave me jitters. Dont know if it was the strength or the sugar or the fake cream that got me.

Noticed organic bananas, apples, lettuce, almond butter, mint, and basil were only pennies more than non organic. Switched.

Met dh at a pot luck for lunch. Grabbed salad, cold cuts, and some peppers. I noticed he got the same as I did-he's been doing slimfast and cardio. He's stayed the same and I haven't. Maybe I have a convert.

I haven't felt compelled to snack. Chilli verde is in the crock pot for dinner. Smells terrific. Beef knuckle was on sale so I'm going to make some broth...condense it down, and put it in the freezer. ..maybe share with the dogs.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by evesgarden View Post
    My exercise includes chasing after/playing with kids and dogs, hauling feed bags (literally, 50 lb bags of animal feed), and occasional Pilates. Now that the weather is good we'll start walking.
    Welcome, Eve! Good luck with primal.

My blog post about exercise for busy parents.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Thanks. Love your blog post on exercise. Sums up parenthood and why I usually crash at 9 pm

So today wasn't great as far as food and exercise are concerned. My 6yo ate 5 asparagus spears at dinner though. I asked why. She said, "They're yummy and make me healthy" I told her most kids don't like healthy food. She said, "They're crazy"... but I checked my numbers. In January I was 44% fat. Now 36%. That's good news, especially since I've stayed the same weight...ya know, assuming my electric fat measuring thing a mabob is relatively accurate.

bullymama is offline Senior Member
    Eve, you have a very smart daughter there! good for her

It's okay if you don't have the greatest food or exercise day...we all have those days. Today is a fresh new start, right?
    Hoping today is a great day for you!

She is a smart girl. Not that she shys away from micky-d's and popcicles, but she likes the good stuff just as much. She wants to be a chef so food is her thing. It's funny at our house. Most moms have to hide the cookies. I have to hide the brussel sprouts. I attribute it to skipping the Gerber. Who wants to eat peas that smell like dog food?

Good news. I'm losing less hair than normal.

Bad news. Something I ate is bothering both my and the baby's digestive systems. He's got collic. I can't for the life of me figure out what. Nothing I've eaten is new and he has always been such a peaceful baby.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow what a weekend. I have several complaints about this weekend but it's more best-freind level, not anyone on the internet level.

The short of it: I need a second fridge if I'm going to continue buying and keeping fresh food. Ours is too small anyway and this is the LAST time my organic lettuce goes in the trash to make room for Caesar. I had a tantrum. Plus all the junk made me tired and my joints ache.

But today is a new day and I'm back on track. Trying to figure out healthy for both of us macro:macro levels while nursing. Baby did much better on (sigh) the junk. Apparently the internet doesn't know. Anyone?

Upside: I made a gallon of beef broth and froze it. It tastes fantastic. I've never taken the time to make homemade broth before. Hopefully it's worth it. My family prefers the cubes. But if all else fails, it'll make fantastic gravy.

Upside/downside: I was motivated/curious because of the no poo thread and I've been brushing my teeth with salt/peppermint oil paste. (Completely the same, right?) My gums normally bleed and after 10 days they're not; and my teeth are nice and white. Downside? You can once again see the fluoride stains on my front teeth. Not. Cute.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast