Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My OHP is getting HEAVY - need advise page

Lockstock is offline Senior Member

My OHP is getting HEAVY - need advise

Primal Fuel
    Went to the gym, banged out a 52.5 kg OHP for 3x5 but it was hard as hell.

I've been trying to complete that weight for 2 sessions now and today was my 3rd. The first session was crap, the second I achieved 4/3/2 reps and today I finally managed to do 5/5/5. I promised myself if I didn't do it today I would deload but now I've completed it, my next weight is 55kg. However, I know I probably wont be able to do it as today it took all my effort to bang out those reps.

Should I still deload? or should I just "try" next gym session to do the 55kg. I'm not really in a position to add micro weights as I dont have any or know where to get them.

Thanks

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    If i had completed the reps 'set' by whatever program i was following i would up the weights.

Isn't that the principle behind most progressive lifting programs?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    If i had completed the reps 'set' by whatever program i was following i would up the weights.

Isn't that the principle behind most progressive lifting programs?
    I suppose, but I only "Just" completed it. It took everything I had and it's not like it was a dead-lift or a squat.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    That workout is supposed to make you stronger for the next one. That's the point of linear progression. Do you have micro-plates? You probably can't increase the press any more in 5 lb or 2.5kg increments.
    The Champagne of Beards

Eureka5280 is offline Senior Member
    I just barely completed 110 lbs this past workout doing 5x5 and I'm expecting to stall sometime in the next 1-3 workouts. The program I'm following says the first time you fail a set you should keep the weight the same and try again next time you're due for OH press. If you fail twice in a row, then you de-load 10% and begin progressing by only 2 lbs per workout with micro plates.

Once you have had to de-load twice he recommends dropping from 5x5 to 3x5, and then after you've deloaded twice at that volume it is probably time to move to a more advanced program.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Eureka5280: M / 38 / 235lbs / Goal: 180lbs

Diet: Currently experimenting with higher carb (Peat-esque) primal with emphasis on beef, dairy, seafood, sugar and a bit of starch on lifting days.

Activities: Started Stronglifts 5x5 on 3/1/14. Adding sprints and hikes soon.
    End of Year Working Set Goals: Squats-250, Bench-200, DL-315

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    That workout is supposed to make you stronger for the next one. That's the point of linear progression. Do you have micro-plates? You probably can't increase the press any more in 5 lb or 2.5kg increments.
    I suppose so, maybe ive finally just hit the point where the real gains are gonna start coming. Ill see how I go next session.

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Get in a (verbal) fight with your wife before hitting the gym. Get worked up into an angry, rage-fueled frenzy.

Will add 10% to your press easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steady is online now Senior Member
    Nice one Lockstock.

I'm currently following 5x5 (working well so far), my OHP is at 42.5kg. Its going up to 45kg on Monday and I reckon, like you, I'll stall at that 52.5/55kg mark.

My reckoning is more rest between sets... Good idea or bad idea?
    Last edited by Steady; 04-25-2014 at 05:21 AM.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Good idea. You can manipulate variables like training density once you're already strong. For now, get all your reps in, even if you need to take a full 8 minutes between work sets.
    The Champagne of Beards

Steady is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Perfect, thanks Rich.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast