Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raw vegan success and childbirth? page

Neeleh is offline Senior Member

Raw vegan success and childbirth?

Primal Fuel
    Received a wonderful piece of news; two raw vegan friends have birthed their first child; in a basic hut type dwelling in Costa Rica.

They travelled out last autumn after their wedding, having saved a surprising amount of money through apple -picking. Enough to buy a small parcel of land and live the raw vegan dream: growing and eating fruit in a tropical paradise.

This raises questions for me about diet. I tried raw veganism thoroughly and intelligently, surrounded by experienced peeps, including some very well known guru types. I loved the deep philosophy behind it, and the raw culture, and still have strong connections to the community.

But I became ill, bedridden several months in, through chronic fatigue (lack of yang). It was frightening, spending three weeks in bed, some times not being able to sit up! It was deep winter too - Feb. As soon as I gained enough strength I flew out to Goa and laid out in the sun for a month to regenerate.

OK, so. How can it be that my friends (mum is thirty or early thirties - typical vegan thin) are thriving on this lifestyle, 6-7 years in - and birthing a child. The same diet that shut me down?

Is is cos they are in the tropics and a fruit based diet is energetically a match? Or because of individual constitution? Because they had a less messed-up food experience before turning raw in their mid-twenties?

Is the human physiology truly that adaptable? Have they found the right diet for their type? Can you be raw vegan if you live in the tropics?

My brain is too small to contain the conundrum - I copied and pasted this from my journal - help!!
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Journal: Vibrant Life

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Typical vegan thin - as in skinny fat or wasting away?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Hi Hanna, yes good point on the skinny. She was well covered and it suited her, then she got very skinny, but conceived and birthed a baby!

Feels a bit weird airing this in public, dont want to disrespect my friends, but am very confused.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just because someone can survive on a diet doesn't necessarily mean they are thriving.
    Hopefully baby will be fine. And she is able to breastfeed.

I thought you were asking more for yourself to look into if you have made the right decision

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    It takes some vegans many years to crash-honestly believe full veganism while pregnant should be considered mild child abuse, drastically increases chances for brain abnormalities in baby.

Yes I wish for them all to thrive. That's exactly it.

It's also puzzlement - how can we be so different? Maybe part of me wishes I could have made it as a v*gan, have tried and tested that thoroughly, raw and cooked. Not happening. I know that actual health is more important than any principle, as beautiful as the idea may be.

I have made the right decision - if it's even a decision, cos other doors seem closed to me. I know what health feels like and what compromised health feels like and nothing is more important than feeling well
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

There were no tribes early on of vegans
    It will catch up with you over time. What's wrong with some eggs cheese and a lil kefir ? Full fat dairy kefir will fix your ailment

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    The mothers body will sacrifice its health status for the growing fetus. Starving malnourished folks have babies everyday. Look at Africa.

^ Yup. Maybe they will get into kefir; a lot of raw types are embracing that these days. And even raw dairy.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast